Costco Phillips 9050.. App keeps losing connection

I’m new to hearing aids, recently bought a pair of rechargeable Phillips 9050 aids. My phone has no problem pairing with the 9050s, but Phillips App keeps losing connection with Right-side aide… that, BTW, is the side with greatest hearing loss.

I’m blaming the App, but wondering if it that HA is defective? Anyone have some advicem I do have a checkup appointment at Costco in a couple days.

‘Forget’ them in Bluetooth settings. Pair them again from within the app. That may not solve the problem, but at least you can tell them you’ve done it.

1 Like

I wish I had a solution for you. I’ve had 9050s for over a month. I’m using a Samsung S22+. I have had generally good connectivity–I only recall one time where an aid suddenly lost its connection to the phone. There was another day where the app connected but the audio stream did not. I have had issues with the record keeping in “Philips Journal”.

A new version of the app landed on my phone today, version 1.4.0. The update keeps the app running in the background “to keep hearing aids connected every time you open the app.” Maybe that will help.

Got the new, improved & updated program yesterday. It loses connection to the H.Aides faster and more consistently.
The Best part is that I had no control over whether I wanted update installed, or not.

Can’t get them to do streaming, let alone 2-way phone calls, with current phone, although it has LE. Strange, phone will stream to my $15 Bluetooth earbuds, but not to my $1,500 Bluetooth hearing aids?
(Frown)
Going to look around here, maybe the Jabras are better?

I’ve paid for mine, yet to be fitted. Having second thoughts now, it seems to be a backward step coming from KS 10’s classic bluetooth, which will stream to just about anything, no app required.

Please state which phone and model you are using.

Also state whether the connection issues happens everywhere or does it just happen while walking, in the home, or in the car. Where is the phone located, front pocket, back pocket, belt pouch, or in your hands when this happens?

1 Like

Hello user990 !!
The phone is an LG Velvet 5G (( Model # LM-G900TM ))
Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX HD

Phone has been around house, in a front pocket or in my hands, or adjacent to where I’m sitting. Phone’s bluetooth will pair readily with Hearing Aids, and haven’t seen that aides unpair from phone. However, the Phillips App has (A) problem pairing in the first place, and then (B) keeping the aides paired through their software…

Have done pairing both ways, have also tried (1) deleting the cache in the app, and (2) “reseting” the 9050s.by holding down the physical button on each aide for 10-15 seconds. No difference, No Joy, Much frustration.
/30

Have you booted the phone?

You see more complaints about connections with Jabras than Philips. For what it’s worth, my 9050s have been faultless in maintaining connections with my Pixel 8 Pro.

1 Like

Of course, first thing you learned (back in the day) was that most things that go wrong with computer (and/or phone) can be cured by starting over.
Besides, I have the phone turn itself off, then back on, every night.

d_Wooluf — Yes, my suspicion is the phone is the culprit. Have a new 2024 Moto Edge arriving in a few days, which hopefully will do it all
– Fingers, Arms, Legs, Toes, even Eyes, all crossed.

I have the 9050 and have not had any connection problems with Galaxy s24. I previously had the Jabras and it was a total crap shoot whether they would connect with the phone or not. One strange thing with the 9050. If the aids are in the “music” program, the aids switch to the general program when I get a phone call. When phone conversation ends, switches back to music program ???

1 Like

I call that clever rather than strange

Could be that the firmware on the aid needs flashing too.

I notice Oticon here habitually ships new product on the previous firmware so they need to be flashed in the shop. I’m assuming that the 9050 is shipped on the same basis.

2 Likes

Interesting, I ordered these the first week they came into stock at Costco,
so I expect they are software/firmware version 1.0
Appointment with Aud person on Tuesday, let’s see what he says, and does.

The KS 10’s are Phonac technology, and only Phonac uses both LE bluetooth AND regular blue tooth. Nobody has the connectivity that Phonak aids do. It is one reason I am reluctant to upgrade from my KS10’s. I am just not in a hurry to pay full price for Phonaks, but the new Spheres are getting rave reviews. So, who knows.

I figured I’d give the Philips a shot and get them next week. I’m another KS10 user and although Bluetooth connections are solid, you only get 2 at a time, and I would love to have 3. If the Philips are a backward step in terms of Bluetooth I may feel I have to return them and reluctantly stump up for the Spheres.

My guess is that there will be a race for improvements in AI enhancement and I’d much rather not invest too heavily in first generation gear and then feel reluctant to upgrade. I was particularly impressed by one review here by an early Sphere user who went to a sports bar with a bunch of friends and was the only one at the table who could hear what other people were saying!!

The first thing my audiologist did was reflash the firmware on my 9050s.

1 Like

I think I’ve found out how to get them re-connected consistently.
As long as the phone’s Bluetooth is happily connected to the 9050s,
just shut off Bluetooth, count to 10, and turn Bluetooth on again.
App will still be (straining) trying to “re-connect”, but if you move over to
“Hearing Aids” at bottom of screen, the app reconnects fairly quickly.
Far from ideal, but better than nothing.

??? Steve 5 – Any idea what version of the firmware is on your 9050s at this point??

I don’t think the Philips are going to do what they want. They will connect with your phone. That’s it. Not your Windows computer unless you have a very recent model that supports LE Audio. Not your Mac unless you have a very recent model that supports mfi. Not your tv unless you stump up for a tv streamer. So… Where are three connections going to come from?