Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)

I try not to talk about the KS8 in this thread any more, as someone complained about it. I have not tried the KS9, only the KS8 so can’t give a personal comparison. I like the KS8 because it uses MFi with an iPhone, assuming Apple will fix the current glitches. MFi streams direct to each ear, not to one ear and then relay to the other ear. Tends to be more reliable, but still far from perfect. I like the Own Voice Processing on the KS8. I also like the ability to equalize the streamed sound with the special equalization set up in the programming software. The advantage of the KS9 is the ability to stream direct to Androids which the KS8 lacks. After that, I think the KS8 (or 7NX) is the better aid. I had a short window where I could have switched from the KS8 to the KS9 and saved a few bucks, but I passed on it.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your insight. I really appreciate it.

Hello @cecil. I found streaming to be bass heavy on my KS9’s with my custom ear molds. I did find a setting on my android phone where I can set my own custom EQ for streaming. Now everything is perfect in the streaming world for me. I’m not sure where you would look to set your own EQ in Apple, but it should be an option somewhere in the menu.
Welcome to the forum.

re: When streaming music or on the phone, the sound is tinny. If I close my ear canal with my finger tips the sound is amazing.

I have noticed the same issue. When watching TV, I typically try to find a good balance regarding the amount of noise coming into my ears normally, vs that which is being amplified by the KS9s. Still note ideal for streaming only. I note, however, that one of the manual programs is called: “Streamed Music.” I don’t know anything about that feature other than the name, but perhaps it is meant to enhance both treble and base sounds to provide a fuller streamed music experience. Has anybody tried this manual program?

You’re likely in open domes. Two approaches to better sounding music. 1)Have more bass added to streaming program 2) Try more occlusive domes or even get custom molds.

This is an answer to improving the sound of streaming, it can be hard to recognize extraneous surround sounds, but muting when streaming will eliminate almost all sound except what is being streamed.

RDB

3 Likes

RDB Is adding mute button similar to going on easy line app and moving balance to right to audio versus to surrounding… that seems to help… when I used mute within the easy line app it still seemed to bring in surrounding sounds during streaming. Plan to ask for mute button this week. Thanks.

Yes, balance to the right, also muting the slide button can work, but find it way to sensitive and reverts back. The mute button on the HA’s is a long hold on the low side, Another long hold will return, however a short hold on high or low will also cancel mute, but will raise or lower volume one click. So muting when streaming should be done after any other adjustments are made as it will be canceled by any changes.

RDB

Thanks RDB I wish the buttons didn’t cover the volume, changing programs and cancelling features but will have to practice with this. I am always adjusting volume so good idea to mute after. Will also talk to Costco tech about loud paper rustling sounds in classroom and ways to improve sound clarity of student questions and reduce other sounds. The students are scattered all over so will see if he can adjust or maybe I should go from the vented domes to closed.

I never had vented, always closed, ear molds with air tubes, then, single, then double, Now, a Cshell or mold for the receiver, which does have a very small vent about the size of a fishing line, to equalize pressure, but limits feedback and allows the boost that I need. Am without a doubt hearing better with these than my first HA’s 16 years ago, which cost $5600. The KS9’s are a bargain.

RDB

1 Like

Costco fitter loaded an application to handle volume and Bluetooth pairing connection to my KS9 hearing aids. Are there other apps that can be used ? I find the app I have to be slow and very limited feature wize.

This seems to be their procedure, to first get you used to the automatic program. But as you may have seen you can also in addition have three of them as manual. The 9 programs that make up the automatic program are: Quiet, Comfort, Noise, Loud Noise, Echo, Car, Music, Streamed Speech, Streamed Music.The streamed programs are not separate, so the seven remaining are manual choices. The KS9 also can have in addition, Mute, activated by a long push on the lower button. Very useful as you can mute when streaming, and block the surround sounds. As you add manual programs which are switchable at the HA, just as the volume, the Easyline app is more useful in quickly, once opened, selecting which of the automatic and three manual programs may work best in a given sound environment.

RDB

2 Likes

Hum, that is what the fitter seemed to be pushing as if I were buying eyeglasses and asking how to I manually focus. So, what program will give me the full control? Do I have to get Costco to approve and get it from them? Or, are those capabilities on Easy Line Remote and I’m just too stupid to find them?

Thanks, I remain hopeful I’ll grow to enjoy my KS9s even more. I hear better, whatever the auto is doing, and I love the Bluetooth streaming for telephone. Also, I notice the Easy Line application isn’t asleep as whenever I activate something on the smartphone I hear it in my hearing aids as a momentary rop in volume.

Any changes in the programs will have to be done by the fitter. You can have in addition to the Automatic program three of the seven programs contained in the Automatic. The sound on your HA’s does drop half the volume when ever you mess with the phone, it isn’t the Easyline app, but is the bluetooth connection getting ready for phone use.

RDB

1 Like

After reading all the comments and suggestions I got my very first hearing aids KS9 from Costco in Ottawa. I had an extended appointment for an hour and a half because I wanted to bring my violin and have them specially programmed for them. They were very accommodating and spent a lot of time with me. Musicians that play instruments found an annoying “warble” that was easily eliminated by setting the “whistle stop” in the sound manager to zero in the music program. I had a music session later that evening and the violin sounded just fine. Of course, I have the standard Autosense with 3 manual programs, Speech in Loud Noise, Music (adjusted for violin), Music
So far everything is working just fine. I have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks. I must say that they took the time to setup and adjust the music program to suit my violin playing. I am very satisfied with the level of service.

4 Likes

I agree with z10user2. It would be useful to know how the thread Summarize feature is supposed to work. I noticed the button and tried it on another thread a while back and for that thread, it seemed to “summarize” by selecting the posts that got the most Thumbs Up. Trying it on this thread, it includes a number of posts that don’t seem to have much useful information in them, like “Thanks for letting me know. Cheers!” type of post .

Examples

1. Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)
  2. Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)
  3. Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)
  4. Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)
  5. Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)

And these posts are just within the first 10 or so posts included in the Summary. If the forum admins have any ability to tune the Summarize feature, I’d say it needs a bit of a health checkup.

1 Like

Hi, I have a Costco 9.0. What software are you speaking about? I am in need of something I can tweak settings–I ave been back to Costco 5 times within my trial period and each time the fitter adjusts something and I can not tell in the store if it is going to solve the problem , so when I get home and use it for a few days I find out it does not meet my needs-I am sure all fitters have not the same expertise but with 120 miles round trip to Costco, I would like something I could teak these issues myself–I am in computers and think I could handle any software available to use–

What is Marvel? an option for the 9.0 or another type f HA? TY

I have BT in my laptop and it pairs with my 9.0, my android pairs with it also and I can stream audio program as well as phone calls the only thins left is the TV and maybe my car radio center that does have BT–I have a device I use with BT earphones on my TV, would Smart Mic help me with that for my HA ?–TY

SmartMic is for the KS8, not the KS9. For TV, get the TV Connector for the KS9. It will let you stream directly to your hearing aids and won’t require pairing and uses less battery power. It’s $100 from Costco.
Car radio center is challenging because it’s generally set up to receive Bluetooth (from your phone), not send it.

1 Like