Costco Kirkland Signature 9.0 (Product Information)

don2 and z10user2 … I have hit that magnifying glass at top to put in a search word like starkey to read posts on something specific so you could try that to narrow things down and see relevant posts…

I just got the ks monday and so far like it a lot… Have to test in a classroom today or tomorrow… I am wondering if I can cut that little wire in the the bowl of ear as it sort of is too long… but don’t want to do anything wrong… Also it seems to list the right ear aid twice under bluetooth and not sure why. I had it set at ninety percent but think will have it lowered to eighty. Right now just using automatic but will hopefully add in more if needed. Thanks for all the help in this thread. I do find the bluetooth sounds like a speaker phone to the other person according to a few people but pretty good.

1 Like

Thank you. I was more wondering about the summarize feature. I’m somewhat familiar with the search function. I just go about taking the time to read the whole thing anyway when I come to a new thing.

1 Like

Yes, you can cut that “little wire” any length that feels good. PS: It is not a wire but just a piece of some kind of polymer that is suppose to help keep the aid in place.

Thanks Sodaman… Was wondering if it was important but it is sort of digging into ear so will snip it off a bit…

I sorta kinda rounded off the tip so as not to feel like a sharp pointy thing in the ear.

@yogarocks it is possible to put it on wrong wrong. Go back and have them look at it if you can. If not you can look at it and compare to the other side.

Thanks everyone… The nail scissors did the trick… don2 I think he did do it right as he did hesitate about length but I said I’d try it. Now heading out to hear a very low sounding speaker who I can’t hear easily to test this out.

1 Like

My first post here. I got the KS9 yesterday. Upgrade from the KS5 and these are just great. I have followup appointment in couple weeks. I have a question about sound quality. I have the oval acorn looking rubber tips. When streaming music or on the phone, the sound is tinny. If I close my ear canal with my finger tips the sound is amazing. I’m used to Apple Airpods which have great sound but do not compensate for hearing loss. These aids sound just as good to me as the Airpods when closing the ear canal with fingers. Is there some way to achieve that sound quality permanently? I want to discuss with the Costco guy at my appointment.

Welcome to the forum.
You have not mentioned or added your audiogram.

Based on your hearing loss different domes/earmolds will be needed. Your description of putting your fingers in your ears is similar to closed domes or small vented earmolds. It also sounds like you have been fitted with open type domes which let’s sound in and out.

cecil and raudrive . … I also am wondering about this… The ones I just got are vented he said because he said that it has more natural sounds that way… I haven’t really tried music but it’s good for podcasts. Are there advantages to the closed domes aside from music. By the way I wonder if the apple mifi hearing developments will get manufacturers to develop sophisticated airpod-like devices with refinements to customize at some point in future.

Yes, vented domes serve well for less loss as they feel more natural, or plugged up. Closed domes still provide some venting as do the next step to double domes. My loss dictates ear molds so there isn’t any loss of sound from the receiver, or outside sounds. Works very well, however you do feel stuffed up, pretty much the same as using hearing protection ear plugs. The trade off is you get to hear way better, when your loss is greater. Note my audiogram.

RDB

I was thinking about getting two or more additional of the AirStream™TV Streamers (I finally got mine which was on backorder) in order to possibly eliminate the drawbacks I’ve encountered using standard bluetooth switching (huge battery consumption and the pairing/unpairing/pairing hassle) but I’m getting impatient and also I don’t want to deprive others at the Costco store who are still waiting for theirs.
In the midst of this, I began wondering - would a single TOSlink switcher work plugged into my existing TV Streamer? Searching and poking around Amazon, I found this one that actually comes with an IR remote.
I began reading the reviews, wondering whether it was a dumb Rube Goldberg idea when, lo and behold, somebody beat me to it and says it is already is working for him with his Marvels!
Only drawback might be the practical limit on the length on toslink cables, but I thought I would toss this idea ought and see what some of the resident gurus on this thread think.
Is this a “Great Minds Think Alike” haha moment or what?

Postscript - It’s not entirely clear whether he is using the switcher instead of the TV streamer OR doing what I intend - connecting the TV to one of the inputs on the switcher and my laptop and another device to the other two inputs on the switcher, and then plugging the output from the switcher to the input of the TV Streamer. I’m assuming he is doing what I intend.

I don’t know why that wouldn’t work Nate. As far as backordered, Costco for some reason doesn’t stock these or even the hearing aids in the store, you must order. You won’t be depriving anyone, but yourself. As far as the splitter, I have used similar just to forward the signal to two items, one to the surround sound system, and the other to the TV connector. Now your idea of using the switch to access different sources of audio is a different approach. The only problem I would suggest is the wiring/location of those sources. For me the TV is across the room, and my computer is a laptop on the end table next to where I sit. Therefore it just makes sense for me to have a TV connector for each. Easy enough to push the link button/blue light, when turning either on.

Please anyone reading get the Mute as a low button hold on the hearing aids, this is such an advantage for a number of reasons, I have discovered. I mute when vacuuming or when making a smoothie, etc. Now an interesting thing is when you are streaming from either your TV connector or phone, you can Mute, which mutes the surround sound, not the streamed sound. So for instance the tv might be on a loud program, and you are streaming from your computer, you can Mute and cut out the ambient sound. In my shop I can listen to youtube music on my phone, and then Mute the hearing aid, now I can use any of my power tools, drill press, belt grinder, etc. and not be bothered by them. Or when watching TV/computer can Mute so a floor fan isn’t heard, it helps. Losing our hearing is bad enough, might as well enjoy the support of these new gadgets, etc. lol.

RDB

6 Likes

I used the KS9 in a class last night and heard the teacher fine… There was a mic she used… I was sitting near back in middle and people are also on left and right sides of room… I found in the question and answer part that I heard the males better than females… I have automatic setting and I think it was really near bottom during lecture part… maybe the second level up… When female asked questions I did crank up volume to three or four but some of words got distorted or too muffled and tinny. By the way I have cookie bite hearing loss which means moderate mid range loss… at some point i will put up audiogram when i figure out how… But was wondering if anyone has suggestions for manual program or tweaks I can mention to the costco tech next week. I noticed that the person taking out lifesavers next to me was super loud and also I heard clapping in other classrooms around our class. My main interest is to get better speech clarity when people ask questions… it’s interesting it was good for male questions versus female since in past it was reverse with the other hearing aids. I also notice with tv that as I make it louder that the words get more distorted rather than clearer… this is not using streaming but old fashion tv. Thanks for any ideas…

Currently trialing Marvels. I really like that they have rocker switches instead of a single push button, but I wish they had bigger bumps on the ends. The KS9 design seems better to me, although I haven’t actually felt it.

1 Like

Isn’t Ks9 is a copy of Marvel ! So the design should be the same!

Look at pictures of both and look at the button. The KS9 has much more pronounced bumps. Little details like that can be important when one is working by feel.

1 Like

My KS9s are on order and I have a question about using them for phone calls. I currently use a Plantronics Voyager 5200 headset for calls on my Pixel 2 XL. Will I be able to have both the aids and headset paired and choose which one to use by pressing the answer button on either one? If so, is it possible to switch from one to the other mid-call? I’m guessing that’s unlikely, but it would be nice.

This is one of my favorite things about the KS0’s. Mine are set so when the phone rings, I quickly press a button and the phone call comes through both HA’s. Then, when my wife is with me and wants to participate in a conversation, I easily switch the call back to my phone and we talk on speaker. The call comes through both aids and the callers tell me that they can hear me just fine, even in the car. I’m not sure about your headset. I gave away my ear buds once I started using my HA’s for calls and music.

I use my KS9’s with an iPhone X.

2 Likes