Costco Kirkland Signature 10.0 (Product Information)

That’s very interesting,makes sense in a way tho, because Costco always said they don’t offer this service, thanks for letting us know.

Your audiologist needs to upgrade the firmware via the Target Software.

My first followup appointment is in about 3 weeks at my local Costco. I paid more attention to the wind issue today (just a spectacularly beautiful day in the Bitterroot Valley. Cruising along at 17-20 mph there was no artificial wind noise, but while I was descending a long downhill grade, above 25 mph it definitely was there. I’ll look into Ear Gear (not previously familiar with that.

I must say that my one MAJOR disappointment thus far is the poor quality of sound during phone calls streamed to my ears, but the convenience of a double tap on the upper part of the pinna permitting me to continue pedaling and talking is REALLY cool. Given all the reports of benefits accruing from power cycling the HAs and the Phone, I’ve tried that, with uncertain results.

The User Guide is a bit short on information. For example, I don’t know what’s different about the BT vs. the BT LE pairings (the former apparently with the HAs as a set, the latter individually with each HA). Obviously they must perform different functions, but I don’t know what. I think that BT LE is important for the precise location tracking of nearby devices with Apple’s “Find My” app, so I’m going to experiment today to see if I can hide one HA in one room, the other in another, then task my non-techie spouse with finding each of them, as a way for her to learn the every day use of that app (our first AirTags are on their way to us in anticipation of our first commercial air trip in 18 months!

BT LE is for the app. BT is for streaming phone calls and streaming for other BT sources. I can’t find KS10 User Guide, but this one from Phonak should be accurate for streaming info: https://www.phonakpro.com/content/dam/celum/user_guide_audeo_P-R_RT/PH_User_Guide_Audeo_P-R_RT_92x125_EN_V1.00_029-0844-02.pdf

1 Like

To badly paraphrase Shakespeare, “The fault lies not in the aids my friends but in ourselves.”

1 Like

Might depend on where you put your phone, too. A back pocket might be worse than a jacket pocket or my usual way to carry a phone (since I don’t like putting very large phones in pants pockets, front or back), I use a belt holster.

At any rate, with a ReSound Quattro (MFI) I have little or no problem with BT connectivity walking outside, using either Android 8 and a PhoneClip+ or iOS 14.x with MFI and an iPhone 6S. So perhaps there is a price to pay for the wider range of connectivity in using classic BT vs. using some flavor of BLE for streaming from propiertary devices. The main problems I’ve had with connectivity I suspect come from some nearby source(s) of 2.4 GHz EMF, such as being at a Gold’s gym with literally hundreds of people walking around, most of them using BT wearables (especially AirPods!).

I have a Pixel 3A and have a similar problem. They paired at Costco when I picked them up and I received a few calls, but then wasn’t able to any more. After a few days I un-paired them and quickly paired the right hearing aid again, but now I can’t get the left to pair. Pixel support says it’s a hearing aid problem (since other things pair) and I suspect Costco will tell me it’s a phone problem - I guess I’ll find out at my follow-up appointment Wednesday. It’s very discouraging.

Hi @citizen1, by default, only the right aid shows as being paired, the left aid then wirelessly connects to the paired right aid…… Confusing I know, but it is how Phonak Bluetooth works. Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

It’s a pretty poorly done app. Yes, I have that problem (along others). I turned off the phone and streaming to my Sig. 10’s. If I go walking by myself, I’ll turn streaming on for that occasion. If I’m driving, I stream to my Outback’s radio.

I don’t get many phone calls when I’m using my Moto X4 as I have it set up so that, if you’re not in my contacts, the phone doesn’t ring. There is a screen notification of a missed call but I’m not bugged by robo/spam calls. However, I do get spam calls when connected to my hearing aids. The car does the same thing. All calls go to the car system.

Thank you!!! Then can you help with another question? When I connected to the Easy Line app, the right aid still shows as paired but two other devices are now displayed, identified as a long string of numbers & letters - presumably one for each hearing aid. Is that how it should be?

1 Like

I think each of those is the BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) radio, one for each Hearing Aid (you can see them connecting separately in the App.

3 Likes

Hi @citizen1, sorry I don’t have that app, I have the Phonak app, along with Naida Paradise UP BTE, but they are both off the same Phonak “Prism” chip set, so it will be relatively the same or very similar how they operate…. Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Thank you, that makes sense. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Someone here said to shut the phone off in the morning, then restart. The cracklings goes away for the day. I heard the crackling/static so I did this. Cured it. The days I Forget to do this I get the static. Maybe Phonak will fix this. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks for that. I hope you might be able to help with a few other “lack of familiarity” questions. I DO have the KS 10.0T User Guide, which seems virtually identical to the Phonak Audéo™ P User Guide. They’re both short on detailed information.

1. First, a question not about the HAs themselves, but about the Hearing Tracker forum. I’m responding from my email client on my Mac laptop, and my response contains a few special characters and screenshots from EasyFind on my iPhone 11Pro, so that I’ll learn whether those make it into posts on the forum.
  2. I’ve read that T-coils are not much deployed in the US. When my fitter asked if I wanted it activated, I said “no,” for that reason, but perhaps there’s no reason NOT to turn it on. I believe that some museums and exhibits use them. Does having the T-coil function activated in my HAs use any of my battery charge or compromise any other functions?
  3. My fitter at Costco seemed a bit unfamiliar with a few features of the KS 10.0T model. We did activate the iOS App and add a few programs. I’ve learned how to switch apps manually in Easy Line (whoever came up with THAT name seems never to have enrolled even in First Grade level jingle authorship)! But, here is my question. Once I familiarized myself with the App, I played a bit with switching programs, and discovered this:

I have seven iterations of BT streaming mic 2, seven of “Phone call + mic 2, two of RogerDirect + mic, eight of Phone call + mic 2 (all listed as “fitted”). I don’t know if things that I’ve done since taking the HAs home are spawning all these duplicates, whether it represents an error in programming by the fitter, whether I can or should remove duplicates, or even what the difference is among iterations that just list “mic” vs. “mic 1” vs. “mic 2.”

Also, I believe I don’t need the "TV connector” profiles because both of my 4K TVs (OLED from LG and LCD from Sony) have direct Bluetooth capabilities. Same goes for the “RogerDirect” programs, which I don’t believe I need, because I don’t have and don’t think I need the “RogerDirect” device, nor the “TV Connector + mic 1” or the "TV Connector + mic 2” (I’m guessing that the “mic 1” and "mic 2” result in activation of different microphones, but I don’t know whether that applies to R vs. L HA or R vs. L microphone on EACH HA).

I’m a believer in the current iteration of the CDC’s recommendations, meaning that my spouse and I have just begun entering restaurants again. Last night we ate at a local favorite, which is back to “wait outside on the park benches” status if one doesn’t have reservations, and it was VERY noisy inside. I tried playing with the “Speech in loud noise” program (didn’t discover the “Restaurant” App Preset until this morning). I didn’t think the “Speech in Loud Noise” program helped, but my trial was just a minute or two.

My understanding is that the “Automatic” setting in the app means the HAs will select what their AI algorithm “believes” to be correct for the current environment. Sometimes a program change is OBVIOUS; sometimes not. Can i use the Easy Line app to discern what program is currently in use according to the devices’ own selections?

Finally, I’m assuming the “Music” and “TV” programs are for live auditioning, not for streaming. Is that correct?

Thanks SO much,

I’ll respond to a few of your questions. I don’t think having a t-coil program takes any more power, but I do think it uses one of your 4 additional programs. Even if you don’t have need of that many programs, it means an additional program to cycle through if one is using hearing aid buttons to access programs.

I think all the Bluetooth Profiles is just the way it works, related to the ability to pair with multiple Bluetooth devices. I don’t think (but don’t know) that it can be changed.

Regarding TV Bluetooth. The TVConnect is lower latency than standard Bluetooth. If you’ve connected directly to your TVs and latency isn’t an issue, no need for a TV Connect, but again I don’t think there’s the ability (or any benefit) to removing the TV Connect profile.

1 Like

How does one activate the T-coil feature? I asked my Costco HA tech to enable it when I got the HA’s but I don’t see a program selection for it in the Easy Line Remote app. And I know he didn’t assign a button to it, as the only thing he linked to a button is the restaurant program.

If he did (?) activated tcoil, when you click on the ^ to the right of Automatic…tcoil will show with resturants and such. I only wanted tcoil added to make it simple . to activate it I hold down the top button on my right aid. To return one more long push.
Adding a stick on magnet to your phone helps tcoil. I found them on ebay for 99 cents.

T-coil, so understand it, is fairly old technology that’s not deployed in very many places in the U.S., which is why it’s not activated by default. We used to go to a movie theater in CA that had it, but we’ve not been to ANY movie theaters in about a year and six months.

Thanks. It doesn’t show up for me so I guess he didn’t activate it, even though I asked him to. Something to add to the list for our next remote session.