Costco Kirkland Signature 10.0 (Product Information)

To steal @MDB’s favorite line, he advises if you pay with a Costco credit card, the HA warranty is extended to 5 years. So it might be worth it to take out a Costco credit card even if you never use it for anything else (I don’t have one myself and don’t know if there’s an annual service charge, etc.). So it might be worth checking out how the credit card option works for the KS10’s.

2 Likes

Can I change the parameters of a permanent program or does Costco have to make the changes?

Somebody with the necessary hardware and software can make the changes. Check out the DIY section of the forum if you want to learn more.

1 Like

I guess you can sign me up as a “nay sayer.” I’m a road cyclist. Yesterday I took my first ride wearing the KS-10s that I’d received the day before. The wind-related whistling is NOT normal when I’m descending a hill at 25-30 mph, and it’s much more obtrusive than it was with their Phonak 2015 vintage headphones. It’s been mentioned here previously that the microphone ports on the KS-10s are NOT the same as they are on the Phonak Paradise V-90s, but it’s also the case that there are “custom” programs that can be set up for the KS-10s. I’m going to look into having a custom program created for cycling that will reduce that wind noise.

Do you mean the Phonak P90 or the Phonak V90?

Very interested if you have any success. I could easily be wrong, but I’ve decided that dealing with WHAT I MEAN by wind noise (the interaction between wind and edge of microphone opening) is a lost cause. My solution is either to not wear hearing aids or mute them. Even muted , I can often still hear the wind/microphone opening interaction.

I should add that Ear Gear is a pretty good solution for the wind issue with KS10. At least at my Costco, if you ask, they’ll give you a pair.

1 Like

Have you experienced crackling, scratching, and popping noises during phone calls? Streaming from my laptop, my iPhone 11Pro, and even my BT-broadcasting big screen TV is seamless (the sound quality from my AirPods Pro is a bit better, however), but phone calls thus far are a disappointment. There is a thread here about this problem that focuses primarily on the iPhone 12 and the Phonak Paradise HAs, without definite resolution as yet (some posters have reported power cycling the phone helps; some say Apple has rebuffed questioners because the Phonak HAs don’t have a “Made for iPhone” branding logo, and one has said Apple knows of the issue and promises to fix it in a software or firmware iOS update. What is your own experience?

Actually, I don’t know. I’ve read many messages here since Costco introduced the KS-10s. There’s a
lively discussion about whether or not Costco’s devices are identical to, identical to with one or two features not routinely available to Costco fitters, or decontented Phonak hearing aids (for example, with different microphone ports). I don’t know yet which is the case. I think most of those posts have compared them with Phonak Paradise V90s, but I have no experience with the current Phonak model range.

There are also oddities in support. For example, I’ve read that the “MyPhonak” app doesn’t cannot be activated by the Costco KS10.0 HAs. Instead, it pairs to an “Easy Line” iOS or Android app. Within the main menu of that app, there’s an item named “Hearing Diary,” Choosing that item connects you to a Phonak Website, which accepted my username and new password, then took me to an interface for registering my hearing aids, but the KS-10.0 hearing aids are not an available choice for registering. I don’t know yet whether that’s a dead end or I just need to finesse the registration. The alternatives for registration include the serial numbers instead of the product family, but if I choose that, it tells me to look for tiny print behind the battery doors, which of course are non-existent in the KS-10.0 HAs because they have rechargeable LiIon batteries.

Did the Easy Line app permit you to register your HAs for online support (choose “Hearing Diary”, which allows me to establish a “MyPhonak” account, but I cannot register the devices themselves.

I have found that to be the case as well. I picked up my aids on Wednesday and so far so good, EXCEPT the darn app. It always reverts back to automatic. I have all sounds pretty much turned off as suggested earlier in this thread. I have the Pixel 3a XL. The only sounds still on are the phone and notifications. No button presses or screen unlock sounds at all. So far wearing these about 16 hours a day and finished the first day and yesterday with about 35% left. I will talking to the audi in two weeks in person but sooner on the phone to try and get the app squared away.

Picked up my KS10’s yesterday and so far I’m mostly pleased. I’m hearing sounds I haven’t heard in years from my four year old Liberty aids. Adjustments are needed to lessen background noises, but I expect that will happen in my two week follow up appointment.

Streaming from my iPhone 12 mini works great in house and in car. However, when walking outside for exercise, the connection is lost when I put my phone in my pocket. The music is spotty at best. It works well when I hold the phone close to the hearing aids. If I can’t find a fix for this I will purchase an arm band for the phone.

This is a limitation of Bluetooth, there’s nothing to bounce the signal off in open spaces.

1 Like

Strange. I don’t have a problem with my headphones but I’m not really knowledgeable about this.

I use an Android phone, rather than an iPhone, but I always carry my phone in my pants pocket and have no trouble maintaining a streaming connection to the HA’s (podcast or music). Bluetooth range is roughly 30’ (lots of disclamers here), but certainly the 3’ or so between your pocket and the HA’s shouldn’t be a problem.

For those of you having problems making the changes stick that you make with the Easy Line Remote app, take a look at @outfall’s post #569 (for Samsung phones) and my post #575.(for Pixel phones).

Many of the issues that I reported in my earlier review of my KS 10’s (post #542) have been resolved, mostly with great assistance from people on this forum. However, the hugely frustrating issue of the HA’s not recognizing incoming phone calls after a couple hours still remains. The HA’s connect fine to the phone and allow me to answer calls in the morning but after a while they ignore incoming calls. Either rebooting the HA’s or rebooting the phone will make it work again, but only for another couple of hours.

Phone is a Pixel 4XL running Android 11. It seems like a Bluetooth issue but when the HA’s stop recognizing incoming calls I check the Bluetooth menu on the phone and it shows that the HA’s are still connected. And I don’t have this issue between my Pixel and any other Bluetooth connections. Only with the HA’s.

Using the HA’s for phone calls is one of the main reasons that I purchased the KS 10’s, so this is highly frustrating. Unfortunately my Costco HA tech doesn’t have any ideas. If I can’t get this one resolved the HA’s will likely go back at the end of the eval period.

Rebooted my phone and streaming to phone now works. I should have tried this earlier.

I have had no issue with my iphone X. I even connect when three rooms away from my phone. That said I think it has something to do with your phone. Sorry I don’t know how to help. I googled your phone and there are a bunch of articals about android 11 update and blue tooth

Update on KS10 and tinninus program. Lost a bet yesterday when at Costco for a follow up appointment. I told her that tinninus was in the global tab…and we looked and it was gone. Target 7.1 at costco must be modified. I have Target 7.1 at home and can turn on and off Tinninus in the Global tab. I can now see how the confusion above about this happended.

1 Like

How does one get a firmware update on the KS 10’s? And how do you know what version of the firmware you are on? I’ve looked through the Easy Line Remote software and don’t see any options for checking or updating firmware.