Costco hearing aids

For $1299 each I’d go with the Bernafon Verite. They just started rolling these out, but I’ve seen them in the display case in Chantilly, VA.

I tried the Verite in-store today. They seem to be an excellent HA. I did, however, think they were a little large and I did not like the feel behind the ear with my glasses on. Things seemed to crowded.

How does your Kirklans Signature Premium ha’s work in noisy environments such as restaurants? That’s the most challenging for me right now.

Good point. Since i wear glasses, that may be an issue. I have an appointment this week to check out the ha’s. Really would like to see if the receiver in the ear open fit ha’s will work with my hearing loss. A year ago, most of the one’s I tried at Costco were not poerful enough, but that was before they introduced some new ones such as the cobalt, verite, and Avio 5.

I purchased an AVIO 3 or 4 last year. Currently it is an Avio 5.
Since then I have had it replaced twice because it keeps cutting off then on with from no apparent reason to heavy pressure on it.
Like from no apparent reason, to my glass temples touching it, to me pressing on it.
NO ONE, the audiologist, the factory rep, or the factory, can figure out why and I am told that I am the only one with this problem. I guess it must be the excess energy in my brain. (like I believe that). I am an electronic engineer.

It doesn’t seem to do it in the winter, but it also doesn’t seem like a water problem. It is like the battery connection is loose and opens up then closes again. But that doesn’t appear to be the case either. It goes silent then beeps once as it comes back on. It is NOT changing programming, it is actually going off.

I would like to hear if anyone else has a similar issue.

this reminds me of a batery spring issue

I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon to check out Costco’s hearing aids. I am trying Unitron’s Passport MOxi 13 right now from a private audiologist…and they are tinny. I was told I should have this adjusted and it should go away. THe problem I have with the Unitron is that it is $6000 for the pair. I am hoping I can find something similar at Costco for a lot less cost. (I have to take the Unitron’s back on Tuesday).

I tried the verites in store today, and didnt want to give them back. This was my first fitting of open fit… what a sweet treat to hear normally even for a few moments.

Do you recommend trying two diff aids in store before making a choice? He’s suggesting the verite and the rexton bridge.

15-18 hours a day of wear and I hate taking them out at night… I have had a great experience with these aids. Battery life about 7 days, I use the Soundgate, I am on Conference calls all day using Blue Tooth, I listen to MP3 from my phone (DROID) Blue Tooth and watch TV with the adapter included…

My only complaint is the length of time it takes for the HA’s to do their magic and control feedback (milliseconds maybe 1/2 second on occasion) other than that it has been nothing less than wonderful.

Good luck with the trial period.

why would anyone go to Costco to buy a hearing aid? Dont concentrate on price…shop around for service. Buying cheaper does not mean that the service will be good-and from my experience it isnt. The problem with these retail outlets is that they concentrate on price-as evident through their advertising. Your hearing deserves an audiologist…especially a doctor of audiology. Why would anyone just settle for a cheap hearing aid…I dont get it. Yes, bluetooth is worth it if you want it for your cel phone, television, home phone, etc. I would avoid places that concentrate their efforts on price-that should be an indication about their services. There are guidelines for prices in most provinces that people follow-some dispensaries have elevated prices so they can offer things like this-hidden in their dispensing fees…chances are you can get the same cheap hearing aid for the same price at a reputable audiology dispensary. Recently, there are ads everywhere about “buy one get one 50% off”…that to me is a sign of desperation and I have shopped around and even with the 50% off, my audiologist was the same price.

Why would you dig up a thread from nearly a year ago to have a moan about Costco?

As your first post too? Interesting.

She’s probably doing it because in another thread this morning I suggested Costco as one alternative to a new user who was taken aback by the sky-high price of Agil Pros which his audiologist recommended as his first HA. (I did also suggest, first, that he ask his audiologist if there was a model in the $1000-$2000 per aid range that might meet his need.) Or it may be that she’s doing this because she’s a private audiologist feeling pressure from Costco because she can’t beat them on price.

Lots of people simply can’t afford to spend $6000+ on hearing aids that will last five years. And yes, many private audiologists may be able to do much better on price than that with very good aids for many patients, especially if they’re asked directly.

Look, I’m a Costco member. I go to Costco for eyeglasses. I go to a private audiologist for hearing aids because I do have a fairly-priced private audiologist who gives great service right nearby where I live. But Costco is well worth considering for either need, depending how convenient they are to you in location. Remember that most HA patients need to visit their audi more frequently than they do their eye provider. It also depends what kind of hearing correction is needed, and so on.

But I would not assume that the private audiologist always gives better service than Costco. This is going to vary greatly depending on the people behind the desks in question.

Consumer Reports has never rated audiology services, but they have rated eyeglass & contact lens services, most recently in 2006. In that report, Costco had the best ratings overall among the eyeglass chains. On service, they were rated 4 on a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 the top category–they were the only chain then rated higher than 3 for service–and Costco got a 5 on cost satisfaction, a rating matched by two other membership-club stores, BJ’s and Sam’s Club, which got 3 ratings on service. Overall, Costco won Consumer Reports’ comparison rating two dozen chains by providing better service according to their customers than much more expensive eyeglass chains such as LensCrafters. Note that these ratings are based on ratings from customers in a survey mailed to them by Consumer Reports.

OK, but Joanne’s point is that the service is better at non-chain operations. In many cases, yes. According to CR, the non-chain shops and opthamology offices that sell glasses, as a group (there’s no point rating these individually because they’re too scattered) scored a 5 on service, but predictably, they scored only a 2 on cost satisfaction. Overall, Consumer Reports felt the combination of customer satisfaction with both service and price was comparable for Costco and non-chain services, with both scoring 84 out of 100 overall. On the other end, there was Eyeglass World, with a 1 for service, a 2 for cost satisfaction, and a 66 overall. I imagine there are some hearing aid businesses that would pull similar numbers out there!

Of course, there’s no one right answer for everybody. If service is more important than price, a great private dispenser may be best for you. If price is most important, maybe not. But Costco, if there is one near you with a hearing aid shop, is worth considering either way.

I have never posted on here before. I came across this thread in a search. I just dont know why someone would go to a place like costco to buy a hearing aid…most chain places are tied to manufacturers in some way, typically based upon high volume discounts…I am not saying that Costco is, but if there are audiologists in private pratice, I would think that service and professional advice would be better…ie. less influenced by corporate pressures

I think your post has been well answered above. Certainly I can see why it wouldn’t be for everybody, but if it increases the amount of hearing aid wearers correctly prescribed and therefore represents an improvement in the overall standard of hearing care plus long term market expansion, where is the issue.

If you think that any professional on here is free from pressure to make their business work then you probably don’t understand this industry.

“If you think that any professional on here is free from pressure to make their business work then you probably don’t understand this industry.” Um bongo

Indeed any person performing a function in any business has pressures to perform in order to feed the family, keep the job, keep the doors open. Certainly there are degrees of pressure, but any audi in any setting has pressures exerted upon them. Satisfaction for the HA user is always a roll of the celestial dice and a match up of two human beings. Costco, Sams, VA or my ENTs office.

regards,
TerryB

There is a growing trend in the marketplace for manufacturers to own clinics. While there is an inherent conflict of interest-most manufacturer owned clinics do not tell their patients that they are ‘forced’ to sell certain products-in Canada, most of these are ‘chain’ stores…the same can be said for some private clinics that maintain their names and logos. It is best to ask the audiologist if they sell all types of products from different manufacturers and to outright ask if they are owned by a manufacturer. I have seen first hand the sales pressure tactics for specific products-Oticon/Bernafon and Phonak/Unitron-in some clinics. It is not all cut and dry and therefore I chose to stay away from ‘chain’ clinics. Prices in Canada are controlled by colleges and associations-they have recommended fee guides. Unfortunately, business people that own clinics do not have to adhere to these fee guides and are typically more expensive. It is certainly ‘buyer beware’. While many places offer discounts, get a quote elsewhere and you will see that the vast majority are just mere luring tactics. While I would buy consumer products at a place like Costco, I would not fathom the thought of purchasing a medical product. I certainly would only see an audiologist, as I feel they are better equipped to deal with the entire auditory system. Yes, there are bad audiologists out there too…but if they took the time to do a doctorate degree, when they can legally work and call themselves an audiologist with just a master’s degree, then this should be an indication of the type of care they would offer.

I agree with your synopsis to an extent and certain chains ARE inherently biased to their supporting manufacturer, however making an assumption that a certificate on a wall is going to guarantee proper independent decision making is IMHO naive.

You only have to look at the preferences of the professionals on here to observe the spread of opinion about different manufacturers. Some of those decisions will be well founded, some will be fickle. However, there is a paradox in that you need to have been through the mill enough times to have sufficient experience to do the job, while gaining this experience your practical understanding and opinion of each of the companies is formed. There is going to be -possibly unwarranted or not representative- bias formed.

Costco just seem to sell what they have on the shelf with no particular preference or comission. Their approach isn’t for everybody, but it is quite refreshing, then again I don’t have to deal with the fall-out, so I can’t say how succesful they are.

Costco’s fitters are flat salaried…no commission. Some are good and knowledgeable and some not so good…just like private dispensers. Most are Dispenser grade not Audiologists or AuD’s.

Above based on personal experience and conversations with a HA Costco Mgr.

All new to aids should see a ENT medical doctor before going to any dispenser or Audiologist. Just my strong advice, Ed

Yes, there are bad audiologists out there too…but if they took the time to do a doctorate degree, when they can legally work and call themselves an audiologist with just a master’s degree, then this should be an indication of the type of care they would offer.

Credentials don’t equal competency. There is even disagreement among Doctors of Audiology - the group who got their doctorate online -vs- the ones who attended school full-time for their doctorate.

In the end it all comes down to the individual and the service they provide.

Most audiology practices are also tied to manufacturers - in fact a great deal of them only sell one brand. If that isn’t tied, I don’t know what is.

It seems to me the best would offer several, not one or even two brands.