Cost of fitting hearing aids in the UK

Has anyone done HA fitting only here in the UK and how much it did cost?
Did the fitting include REM?

Thank you

It will vary depending on where you go.

REM was quoted at ÂŁ200 for me a while back.

@Zebras I suppose the quote was for 30 minutes session!
Was it from an independent audiologist rather Specsavers/bootshearing?
Thx

I’ve only ever been to Boots.

A independent one opened up near me so I was going to investigate.

1 Like

I don’t think Boots will deal with hearing aids bought outside their chain, but I could be wong.

They do with me.

I had a ÂŁ20, 2 1/2 hour fitting back in 2011. They did a much better job then what the NHS did with my HAs.

I then self programmed after that.

2 Likes

You mean ÂŁ200 for 2 1/2 hours at Boots?

No back in 2011, they charged me only ÂŁ20.

ÂŁ200 now for a quick REM.

1 Like

Good to know.
Thank you

It’ll be cheaper to get a Noahlink Wireless and programmed your brothers HAs yourself.

If he feels he’s not getting enough sound, then just slowly increase.

Not since treatment for my physical health that has resulted in hearing decline but before, I actually ended up using less gain then what I was set up for. I heard much better. I wasn’t so overwhelmed with background noise.

AudiogramDirect also resulted in slightly better audiogram as I have long ear canals on my ear moulds.

2 Likes

I was leaning toward REM, since where he is they don’t do REM.
He does have Noahlink Wireless and Roger accessories, but I don’t think he uses them.
We did try AudiogramDirect, not sure if he is using that or the settings from the audiologist :thinking:

1 Like

Apparently Boots no longer do rem. Well not in Doncaster.
After a long search I’ve found an audi 20 miles away that does rem for £200, and possibly £60 for test.
Will report back in 2 weeks.
I was told Specsavers do rem on new fittings but you have to request it. I assume they share equipment.
If you search the forum you will find posts that suggest Boots do rem on request. I queried the poster as to where that was but he didn’t reply.
Really annoying if you’ve read all advice on here and must be quite upsetting for the pros who care like @Um_bongo bongo and @Neville .

1 Like

No worries, I will ring Boots and see what they say.

Forgot to say Boots wouldn’t adjust my old phonak private aids.
The ÂŁ200 I quote is for 2 hours consultation.

1 Like

Got a phone call from Boots bham and they said £500 for one aid or £1000 for a pair, that’s fitting and REM.

That’s outrageous, obviously there’s no clear competition in the market if they can ask that.

1 Like

I did ask if the price is across Boots chain (UK) and she said yes.
Not sure if she is right or wong, I suspect she is wong, since her accent is either from Ozzy or Kiwi, she might have converted the price to ÂŁ which makes sense, (if it is this expensive where she came from, naturally the conversion will be expensive too).
There are independent audiologists, but again, I will have to give them a ring.

My audiologist suggested I bought my hearing aids (my choice of Phonak Paradise P90 13T) online, as the wholesale price was much more expensive. They cost me £2100. I was charged £300+ for the slim tip moulds, and around £550 for fitting. REM wasn’t done, but everything else was, and I’m 100% happy, after a series of “first fit” installations from the NHS. This price includes unlimited fine tuning for 12 months. Total cost £3k.

2 Likes

@michael1

Maybe the old Phonaks were earlier than Marvels, so the newer versions of Target would brick them? Just a thought.

Amplifon wouldn’t supply me unbranded Resound Omnias recently, although I gather they have changed their policy now. But anyway I bought the Omnias from an online supplier and then paid Amplifon to fit them, including REM if I wanted it, and four years support, for £250 per aid.

I do my own DIY tweaking but it’s good to have an audiologist to do the first fitting and to be on hand if things go wrong later or my hearing changes substantially.

2 Likes