Conversion to Rechargeable

Like I said I didn’t want this to become a debate but it takes me 30 seconds to change the batteries and the aids give me advance notice when the batteries are dying.

2 Likes

@hass5744: Exactly, hass … Exactly!

1 Like

Years ago I used the Accu Plus batteries to good effect. I never had an issue with them not lasting the entire day, usually 14-16 hours of usage. That was before streaming.

They solved an issue I had with zinc air batteries, which would die when I would sweat, and the moisture would run directly into the battery compartment, block the air holes, and kill the zinc air 312s. The Accu Plus batteries were unaffected and worked just fine, and my aids kept working even in heavy perspiration.

2 Likes

That’s pretty impressive that you were able to get 14-16 hours of use out of them. It makes sense that it would be without streaming. I admit I never actually tried it out (had no reason to), but I did the calculation that @x475aws did and arrived at the same conclusion that the NiMH batteries would not last me all day, so I didn’t bother to try. But I was interested enough to check it out.

HAs in the old days before streaming were pretty power efficient. They can easily last up to a week to 10 days on a set of disposable Zinc-Air, so it’s conceivable that with those older HAs, the NiMH batteries can go for a full day before running out. That’s probably why there was a market for them before, but for folks who are using the now power-hungry-due-to-streaming type aids, the NiMH batteries can no longer hold up to an all-day-use model anymore with these types of HAs.

At that time they probably did not communicate wirelessly with each other either.

or when the charger dies and not being able to charge the useless feather… I went through that more times than you can imagine…

2 Likes

@ssa: FWIW, I agree … That’s exactly why I’m insisting that my audiologist fit me with only disposable feathers from here on in. I have had nothing but problems with rechargeable feathers, and they won’t last a full day, even with minimal fluttering.

(But this bird has been beaten to death…)

2 Likes

Wait until you don’t have enough hearing to hear without hearing aids like me, and have to go a few hours without hearing because you have to recharge them first. Note: I don’t sign.

1 Like

I thought you were one who was pleased with rechargeable. I ordered rechargeable but perhaps should have ordered disposable instead.

@prodigyplace: Please note that @ssa made a typo of some sort and was talking nonsense about feathers. I, being a :clown_face: clown :clown_face: at heart, could not let the opportunity to make a joke pass, hence my ridiculous post.

In the seriousness of reality, I am not a rechargeable aficionado. I wish I had disposable batteries powering my genuine Oticon®️brand More1s, and not the rechargeable ones I was issued.

This power source preference extends to feathers.

1 Like

Sorry. I missed it was a joke based off feather.

I feel your pain codegeek. But if what people are saying is true, the manufacturers once again don’t care if a charger is a major inconvenience for some. No offense but hearing aid manufacturers kind of suck.

1 Like

That is one reason I didn’t choose Phonak for my next aids. I expect to just recharge my aids overnight. The Phonak aids have much shorter runtime than my choice of Oticon. I chose their rechargeable model but could have chosen one with 312 batteries.

1 Like

@ssa: I had no choice when I got my More1s, but - had I known the disposable version was only 5 months away - I would have waited.

You may want to reconsider your choice before you take delivery of those rechargeable aids … there’s lots in the Forum “library” on this.

I thought you were happy with the runtime of the More 1s with streaming. I am not sure if I can change the order now.

IIRC they rate at up to 24 hours, reducing to 20 with streaming.

EDIT: I just realized your comment might have been for @ssa They have UP aids anyway.

joke aside: I chose rechargeable because CI, side actually takes 2 x 675 and it only last 2 days, it is not economical or practical to replace battery every 2-3 days. To be more consistent, I chose the rechargeable for my HA ear as well because i always go to my charge area when one of my CI battery pack dies out…

1 Like

Also, I had a lot of problem with the resound charger, the charger failed me within a year of it warrenty they repaired it but it kept failing within 6 month, so i asked my audiologist to send me a brand new one and worked for 1.5 years more until i got my resound omnia HA which required a new charger…

I actually don’t need UP BTE hearing aid. I can go with power BTE HA actually for that ear as well. Check my audiogram. my usable frequency range is up to 4 khz, not 6 khz.

1 Like

You use Rexton. Do you do much streaming? My current Rexton aids from Costco started having issues after a year due to OS updates from Apple. All Rexton offered as a solution was to reboot the aids when they quit streaming

@prodigyplace: Quite to the contrary, Bruce. You are mistaken … firstly,
I don’t stream … hardly ever.

Secondly, the only comment about runtime I’ve ever proffered about my More1s is that - after one of my long days - I don’t feel reassured by having to wait for a full recharge in order to be able to attend a medical emergency in the ER.

I am not a rechargeable aficionado, by any means , and I’ve posted many times to that effect…

2 Likes