Connecting/using hearing aids on airplane in-flight entertainment/TV

THat’s why I bought the AirFly … I’m trying to figure out how how to connect all three (hearing aids, connect clip and AirFly …) and in what order,etc … any ideas?

1 Like

If your lost is much worse than mine you would be wearing a CI. They cut out all the background noise. I use them to mow 5ac weekly. This past fall i used them on a RT between JFK and Barcelona.

not sure what CI means?

I assume that your ConnectClip has been configured to operate with your aids using Genie 2 by your hearing aid provider. If not, that is the first step. You can do that yourself but you would need Genie 2 installed on a Windows computer and a Noahlink Wireless interface device.

If the ConnectClip is new, pull out the Instructions for use and find the “Getting Started page”. If you don’t have the Instructions, download them from the Oticon Download Center:

https://www.oticon.com/support/downloads

Select the Wireless Connectivity on the left side and find Instructions for use for the ConnectClip near the top.

Make sure everything is off (aids, ConnectClip, and AirFly and anything else that might try to pair including your phone). In my old IFU book, the page you now want is titled “Pairing hearing aids with the ConnectClip” - it is straightforward.

I have no idea about the AirFly but the next step should be similar to pairing the ConnectClip to a phone which is on the next page. Basically you put the ConnectClip into pairing mode and do the same for the AirFly. I assume the AirFly came with instructions on how to put it into pairing mode. If they pair correctly, the status LED on the ConnectClip should turn from flashing blue to steady blue.

Use whatever method you wish (buttons on the aids or phone) to select the program for your ConnectClip. Plug the AirFly into a sound source and then you should be able to test streaming through the AirFly to you hearing aids.

2 Likes

Thanks much! I think connect clip is set to go with the aids… I hardly ever use it … I appreciate the guidance… I just didn’t know if I should pair connect clip to the aids first , and then to the AirFly … I’ll see what I can do… Thanks again…

If it is ready to go, the phone clip is already paired to the aids. Turn it on and pair to the transmitter. Then in the future, when you turn both on (phone clip and transmitter), they should connect. Remember, pairing is, usually, a one time process where the devices meet each other. Then, when they are in range and powered on, they connect and interact. So connect and disconnect happen over and over.

1 Like

Thanks! Somehow I was able to pair them both yesterday and I plugged the AIrFly into laptop jack and it worked like a charm! Hope they stay connected but guess I’ll be bringing instructions with me in case I have to re-pair them …

1 Like

I’ve tried to read through all the comments here but I am still very confused about what kind of 3rd party device will work to stream to Phonak Lumity hearing aids when watching video (tv or movies) during a flight. I’m primarily looking for a lowcost adapter that I can plug in to an airplane entertainment unit that I can pair with my Phonak L70s. I saw AirFly mentioned several times but want to make sure that something like this (Twelve South Airfly SE that is listed on Amazon) would work. I’m hoping to be able to do more travel this year and would really like a solution where I can use an in-flight entertainment system rather than trying to stream something from my phone. I seem to have all the other “bits”: HA charger, extra battery packs, multiple types of cables, but am missing this one piece. Thanks for your help

Hi. I’m no expert - just your average hearing aid user … I have Oticon and in addition to the AirFly, I have to use the connect clip as well… the connect clip - basically to enable wireless phone calls,etc - the connect clip connects to my hearing aids - then I connect the connect clip with the AirFly … not sure about Phonak but I guess check with your audiologist to see if you need something in addition to the AirFly … Good Luck!

With Phonak, you should be able to pair directly with any device/screen since it uses conventional bluetooth (at least the Paradise did, I am assuming the Lumity does as well. If I’m wrong, then disregard everything). For the newer planes that have direct bluetooth connections with the seatback screens, just follow their instructions on pairing headphones, you wouldn’t even anything else. If you still need a headphone jack for older planes, then you would still need some sort of bluetooth transmitter like AirFly, as you’ve already searched, or Mii (I have this, works well and is couple dollars cheaper – and there are even cheaper options as well) to plug into the jack, then pair directly with your aids from there.

Well, I guess I will be able to dry using the AirFly on my next trip (in April) I need to find something around the house that I can plug into to see how it will work. I think maybe one of the televisions. I haven’t been able to connect to those, but that was with my old M90s. I now have L70s and we just haven’t had an opportunity to try connecting (shrugging my shoulders here). Will keep you all posted when I get all the bits figured out.

Bought an Airfly to experiment.
Hooked it up to my
Tecsun radio.
Paired it with my Google buds A.
Worked.
Tomorrow I’m going to see if it will work work my sound bar.

Well I finally had an opportunity to try the AirFly in the “real world” (aka flight entertainment). For the most part it worked well. I was able to hear the audio from the entertainment unit without too much trouble. The only issue I had was when the PA system was being used as I ended up “hearing” the audio coming both through the AirFly and over-the-air sound from the plane’s PA system. It was like getting a delayed sound bite. But in general the AirFly worked as described. I don’t have any current plans to fly anywhere soon so I have packed the AirFly with my other travel electronics for the time being.

I have Benefon Alpha bluetooth hearing aids. I am flying to Boston on latest airplane (330 900neo) with bluetooth enabled seat back screen. Does this mean that I can simply connect my HAs direct to the screen without any additional devices? I would be overjoyed if it were the case.

It looks like the Bernafon Alpha directly connect only to iphones and one model of Samsung phone. Do you have the Connect Clip device?

Not all Bluetooth HA can stream via USB 5 as I understand. Are there similar devices that supports LE Audio yet?

Thank you for your reply. It is disappointing but not surprising. I am generally not impressed with these hearing aids.I do not know what a Conect clip device is or how it works. Having read through previous posts on this forum, I am considering buying some Sony 1000xm3 head phones to wear over my hearing aids. I am hoping that they will sync with inflight console and perhaps with my macbook and my Sony tv as well. any further advice will be gratefully received. Thank you.

In the US, the device is called a Soundclip-A. It is a small device that connects to devices like a computer with classic Bluetooth and translates to the MFi protocol used by MFi hearing aids to connect to iPhones/iPads. It also can be used as a remote microphone and allow connections to non-Apple phones.

For an airplane, I would suggest trying headphones with good passive and active noise reduction that go around your ears and seal tightly to your head. In my case, I don’t get feedback with large closed headphones but that depends on details of fit and gain for each individual. I realize many people hate wires but that is probably the way to ensure that you can connect to a variety of devices (airplane, computer, and so on). Some headphones can connect with both Bluetooth and an optional wire.

If you keep the Bernafon aids, the best way I’ve found to connect to a TV is with a TV adapter - I use a TV Adapter 3 with my Oticon Real 1 aids. Bernafon calls there equivalent device a TV-A in the US. It has much lower latency than a normal Bluetooth connection so doesn’t have lip sync issues that bother some users.

1 Like

Thank you for your response.I do live in the UK but I do travel to USA often as I visit my son and his family.
I will get a good pair of headphones to use on the airplane and also with my macbook. I do use a Sennheiser tv adapter. It does the job well enough. A totally bluetooth system but be great but perhaps one day.