Cochlear KANSO 2?

How are you doing?
I thought elective surgeries were canceled for now.

1 Like

Hi Rick,

When Governer Pritzker moved Illinois to phase 4, that allowed elective surgeries to go forward. Elective surgeries have been going on for about a month now.

I’m doing fine post-op. The surgery went well. Surprisingly, I handled the general anesthesia well wth vomiting or dizziness. I took a week and a half medical leave. No pain after surgery, just some soreness which is still there a bit today. The doctor had me keep the bandage on for three days, came off Sunday). No heaches either. I was put on anti-nausea meds., pain killers, antibiotic, prednisone, and an antianxiety med that is suppoed to help if you get dizzy. The pain killer I took until Saturday, then didn’t need it. I’ve only taken it one more time since. Still on antibiotic. Haven’t needed the anti-anxiety or nausea meds.

I see the doctor next Monday to remove stitches and 8/18 is activation day. My Cochlear mentor and a contact at Cochlear have been checking with me since my original surgery was postponed.

When are you getting your second evaluation? Let me know how rhings are going on your end.

As for me, now we wait…

1 Like

Sounds like you are doing well. The tuff part is over, making the big decision. I really think it’s a no brainer decision if you want to understand speech again.

An appointment opening came up for today at 3. So I will find out something very soon.

3 Likes

@Raudrive Awesome, good luck!!

@debbie_o Glad recovery has gone so well for you! 8/18 is our wedding anniversary, #2 this year (8/18/18).

2 Likes

Great! Good for you! Let us know what happens. I remember going through my eval. What I remember is that I just qualified for the implant. I had 60% speech recognition with a hearing aid, I think that was in noise.

Good luck to you later today!

1 Like

@phobos512 Wow, your wedding anniversary on 8/18! Congrats! I’ll consider that as a sign of luck for my activation.

Still sore, not sure how long that will last. I can handle that, but what is annoying is the ache on the right side of my neck. Took a couple of Tylenol for it. Could take the Norco, but then I’ll be out of it for the rest of the day. Glad I took some time off.

1 Like

I wonder if a 9.2% Belgian Tripel would suffice?:kissing_closed_eyes:
You are 5 days post surgery. 3 weeks from activation. Waiting time.
I hope you continue to feel better.

2 Likes

Yeah I had that same ache @debbie_o I think it’s due to having been turned to the side for the duration of the surgery. Got those muscles all stretched out. I’ve got no discomfort of any kind at this point after two and a half weeks.

1 Like

@phobos512 Thank you for telling me that. I thought you were implanted recently, I just couldn’t remember how recent it was. The Tylenol has helped so it’s not as bad as it felt a couple of hours ago. I suspect the soreness will go away within a couple of weeks. They were kind of shocked in the hospital when the nurse asked me how much pain I was in and I told her no pain. After the anesthesia wore off, it was just soreness.

When you are activated, let me know how your experience was. You’re probably a week to week and a half ahead of me.

1 Like

@Raudrive Don’t tempt me, I might just get a drink! That would relax the muscles! :rofl:

1 Like

I will certainly post up when I get home. That’s this coming Friday for a few hours starting at 1300 Eastern (1pm). And, at least for right now (I don’t know if the appointment confirmation I received was an automated thing or not), it looks like I’ll get my new left ear hearing aid on Thursday morning so I’m excited about that too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Today I had a Kanso in one hand and the Kanso 2 in the other.
They are very much the same in looks and size. Much smaller than I expected.
I was told they will be available in October.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Yes the kanso appears a lot smaller in person compared to the photographs

Did they tell you anything about magnet sizes?

No and I didn’t ask. I did see numbers on the bottom of the Kanso’s. Figured it was magnet rating.
I was pretty impressed with them. Very light and much smaller than expected.
Cochlear has been very helpful. At this point after comparing Advanced Bionics (AB), Cochlear and Med- El it would be tuff to say one is better than the other. Here is an attachment that is pretty good but not up to date concerning the Kanso 2.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the “fun” part.

Oh, and @Raudrive here’s the source for that comparison chart: Comparison Chart | cochlear implant HELP current is Version 10.1e 26-Jan-20

2 Likes

For those of you who have finished all your mappings how many mappings did it take post activation for you to see a noticeable improvement in your hearing where you were comfortable and confident in every day situations communicating with people?

@Lou82 it’s not as simple as that. Mappings are a lifetime journey until the day we die, just like hearing aid adjustments are. Albeit mappings are very frequent in the first 3 months. I think I had 5 or 6 in that time Then again at 6/12 and 1 year. From that point they go biannual for me. Or more frequently if needed.

For me I understood speech on activation, but I had to concentrate a lot. After the first 6 weeks PO and 4 mappings speech was very clear for me and didn’t require concentration at all. It’s still improving as I move now towards 14 months PO.

2 Likes

cc @Dani I’ll wait for an answer. It has an amazing, very subtle detail .

In my case I saw noticeable improvement on activation day. But you have to keep in mind that my loss is very bad. I’m still improving.

Can you say what kind of improvements you are getting? Like environments.

I thought about you yesterday, brewed an Oktoberfest.