CI Processor and Bicycling

Maybe not…
I have ridden motorcycles for many years without a helmet. Yes, I know.
Have had a couple near misses but thankfully reflexes saved my butt.
That’s not the case now, getting older has me rethinking all this.

I think motorists pay more attention to bikers. Loud pipes and bright lights help.

Plus, they don’t tend to crash by doingdumbass maneuvers. You guys are different animals. I could never equate my years bicycling to your years motorcycling.

Debbie another forum I’m on a man uses a Giro Chronicle MIPS MTB Helmet. Apparently you can adjust its fit via a dial on the back, so he just tightens it when it’s on his head. Hope this give you some help.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0759YK1FM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_hFMSEbFSYD3PV

3 Likes

@Syncros wow! I’m sorry to read about your accident. That had to be traumatic. I’m glad your implant is okay.

I wear a hearing aid in one ear and thankfully, can hear normally with my HA. I agree with riding with a helmet whether it is a bike or a trike. Good idea to just leave the sound processor at home.

Hoping you feel better and get back to being yourself very soon!

2 Likes

@freezerman404 Never drink and ride. You could cause your own accident and endanger others. Be safe!

I go out occasionally on my e-bike, hi-vis jacket, helmet, flashing lights, front and rear…. I take no chances, and never compromise on cycling safety, See and be Seen…. Like most folks, I have come off a bike, I recall one time on a single track road, (I live out in the country) doing around 30mph (downhill) I could see way ahead, there were no cars coming, unfortunately vehicles were not my problem, came round a corner and 6 sheep were occupying the whole road, no time to brake, and nowhere to go with drystone dykes either side of the road, I did a full somersault over the handlebars, fortunately for me, my large framed (fishing) rucksack saved my back, I was sore for a few weeks though! And yes, I have laughed on many occasions about that incident, but I was lucky…… Here in the UK, it is now the law, if you hit any cyclist, the driver of the vehicle must prove he wasn’t at fault, as the cyclist is now presumed innocent! Cheers Kev :wink:

4 Likes

@Deaf_piper: Thank you for bringing this helmet to everyone’s attention. I have a Bell helmet with the same adjustment mechanism, and it is effective and easy to use!

"My helmet doesn’t fit comfortably " is no longer a valid excuse.

2 Likes

Here in Aus, it’s illegal not to wear a helmet. Young and old all must wear a helmet. I’ve seen young children as young as 2-3 riding along tandem with mum or dad wearing a helmet. The same aged child riding independently with training wheels must wear a helmet. Or suffer hefty fines.

1 Like

Sometimes there are unintended consequences: Bike Helmet Laws | How Mandatory Helmet Laws Hurt Cities

1 Like

They might hurt the cities, by reducing the numbers of cyclists on the roads. The bike share system hasn’t taken off in Melbourne, as most of the bikes land up all over the city. But how many lives do helmets save? Or how many traumatic brain injuries do they prevent each year?

I think a point they were trying to make is that bicyclists are safest when there are lots of bicycles on the road. It seems likely that a helmet would reduce your chances of an injury IF you’re in an accident, but requiring them MIGHT increase the odds of an accident IF it leads to less bicyclists on the road. I’m not anti helmet by any means. I just think we should carefully consider our laws. To answer the question you pose, it’s possible requiring them causes more injuries. We won’t know until somebody carefully analyzes data.

I never drink and drive.
I barely drink.
The guy on the bicycle was drunk when he hit my van.
I was stopped waiting for the light to turn green.
My personal belief is if you ride on public streets with cars you should be subject to the same laws as motorcyclist.
Helmet, lights, license and registration and insurance.

1 Like

I think with a yearly 1k mortality rate on American roads for cycle users… I would be inclined to use a helmet, might not save you, but it offers some protection to the skull…. Perhaps not mandatory, but it should be a highly advised accessory……

1 Like

I don’t know where you’re getting your numbers. That’s about the total killed in USA annually for car accidents. Bicycle deaths are less than 1000 annually. https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/bicyclists

1 Like

Apologies @MDB, I will correct that, twas a misreading by me, the article you posted up was in actual fact the overall 40k killed on American roads… Sorry!

1 Like

@Deaf_piper Thanks. I have a Giro Verona with the adjustable dial in the back. That’s what I meant when I said should I loosen the helmet a bit to get the N7 under it. Putting it on first, then adjusting is another idea. Yes, this gives me options, thanks, Sheryl!

1 Like

Hello!
Only one chin strap is adjustable, so if you have to shorten, the buckle will not rest squarely under your chin - not a show-stopper. Seems to offer great back-of-the-head protection. It’s well ventilated, so in the winter one would need a skull cap…
I got the extra large and there’s even a little wiggle room for my noggin!

2 Likes

@freezerman404 That’s what I meant, don’t drink and bike or trike. I think there’s a You Tube video of some guy drunk triking.

What gets me is what did he think he hit to keep going. That’s a hit and run thoughI don’t think he could run as is evident that he hit your vehicle. Either driving or biking/triking, doing it while drunk is dangerous. I’m sorry that happened and hope there wasn’t much damage.

@kevels55 It will protect your implant as well. The CI is expensive surgery, so I want to protect it and my head.

1 Like

He hit mainly the wheel.
Looked at me and rode off.
Wasn’t worth the time or effort.

1 Like