Christmas came on Tuesday this year

After I fitted my mother’s Phonak Audeo B90’s with a Compilot Air 2, she told me that she tested the Lumity 90 series and the amount of Waddayasay’s decreased noticeably and comfort increased. So she wanted them, but only if I tested them and wanted them, too. Suddenly I am thinking of new aids without the usual considerations of pricetags. Very odd. Normally I scrounge them on eBay or wherever and get last series topmodels for less than a quarter of the price.

My first thought is that I am not up to speed with the other brands. I’ve don’t know what Oticon and Widex and Resound are doing. Did they bring new lines of aids out around the same time as Phonak Lumity series? Did they develop in different directions as the Phonak? Is it worth it to test all 4? I remember doing it when I got my Bolero B90’s. It was quite a lot of work.

Another question is whether the change from my current Phonak Marvel Audeo 90’s to Lumity 90’s is relevant enough? People wearing Paradise aids, don’t really see the need to change over, it seems. Is the change from M90 to L90’s worth it? However, testing them will answer that.

So my main question is what is the competition doing and is it worth checking out?

==============

====================

============

===============

See:

Many people have changed from Paradise to Lumity and said it’s amazing, especially Speech in Noise.

@Baltazard

This is incredible.

Thank you!

@Markismus

I’ve followed the discussions about the Lumity series. I thought I was going to have to do something drastic to hear again. I couldn’t hear with my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s the way they were set up.
Emphasizing set up…

Final straw (my audiologist politely said that I needed to find someone to help me out. I did. He was right.)
I found a practioner I respect. My Paradise P90R’s were set up by him. I can hear! Difference is night and day. I don’t feel the need for the Lumity hearing aids now. I am sure that hearing aids will continue to improve.

Key for me is finding the right person to set them up. I don’t know how to do that. I was already talking to everyone I saw with hearing aids trying to find a good referral. And I had wonderful help from people here with suggestions about who I might pick.

There’s no reason to change HA’s unless you hear better. Or lose the ones you have. Frankly, what I’ve been thru for 2 years was more stressful by far than getting my first hearing aids. I haven’t been able to hear that long.

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

Thank you all for the replies!

It seems Widex is gearing for a new release. However, the Sheer Moment 440 seems to bit too old to try out.
That leaves the ReSound Omnia, Phonak Lumity L90 en Oticon to test.

The Omnia seems the weakest qua sound. However, it’s the only one with a decent battery time (35h). If the M-Rie receiver would work for me, that could be interesting. However, they seem to cut out at higher noise levels and that’s where the troubles begin.

The Lumity 90 seems to be the friendliest for DIY as the 1st fit seems quite good in most reviews.

The Real has a decent battery time (24h) and the open approach could be quite a game changer in a family with kids.

Would be nice if I could reject another one, so that I only have to test 2 aids.

Just cleaned out the gunk that got stuck in the shell holes for the M90’s. Life is better. :slight_smile: Also remade the custom molds. I am making certain that the M90’s are at their best, so that the testing has a firm footing in a well functioning aid. Been hearing worse for a year, though. So it would be heaven if my decline can be offset with new technology.

Of course a good audiologist makes a world of difference. And I usually let my results be tested by the university hospital staff.

However, I am still not really able to take part in a spontaneous conversation or exchange a few words, while there are others.talking around us. So speech in speech is still the normal situation for new contacts and at home and I am quite aware that I just can’t understand enough to do my part.

All audiologists I spoke with basically said that the aids are too small to process that information and I should use solo equipment. But the situations in which they can be used are too limited. Or life is too dynamic.

Anyway, I hope that new aids open up situations for me. If they don’t, the test fails.

1 Like

You missed out one of good ones “Signia”

1 Like

@Markismus don’t forget to give Signia models a run, Connexx software is also super easy to use, all the manufacturers are gearing up for new releases because of the new bluetooth version release, no one will want to be left behind on this.

1 Like

@Markismus

My Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s were horrible for two years. I kept saying there’s something simple we’ve missed.

I found a wonderful practioner. He found

• wrong domes were specified
  • left and right hearing aids were not set to communicate.

I can hear all the participants with 8 noisy adults around a kitchen table! I couldn’t do that before! I had trouble understanding one person. Quiet or noisy environment.

Maybe there’s something missing in your setup too…

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

@DaveL That must have been such a relieve! I only got that understanding with a Roger Pen and my Phonak Bolero B90’s. Loved those aids. Shame they died. Never worked as good with telecoil and Roger MyLink and Phonak Audeo M90’s.

Looking at you audiogram I see that you’re a downsloper. Loss due to age in the ear itself? I have a cookie-bite loss that started young and progressed until not understanding people started destroying relations around my thirties. It is a central problem: So I’ve got a problem in my brain that we’re mitigating with tweaking the sound input in my ears.
Changing algorithms gives me a few days of better understanding until my brain adapts. Unfortunately, the side effects during those days is feeling rather trippy and tiring early.

With my hearing aids understanding in a calm situation is near perfect. It’s speech-in-speech that is a killer: So basically any social setting, where people aren’t forced to speak loudly to be heard. So it doesn’t seem to be a case of wrongly tuned aids.

Now I know that the differences between Lumity and Paradise are rather small. I just wonder whether they are relevant between Marvel and Lumity. I guess I just will have to test them.

I think setup is key

My hearing loss is due to loud noise at work. Way back 110 dB in the steam power house at work. And likely due to age. 76.

DaveL