Carrying batteries

When I listen to my Walkman radio plugged into the iCom for 4-6 hours per day, the batteries last 3-4 days. If I use headphones instead, I mute or lower the volume on the HAs (Audeo Smart IX), and the batteries last 7-10 days.

I too tried the ‘little aluminum bottle pill carrier’ and the batteries were apparently dead after being in there a week. I should have read this thread before.
But, If the batteries are not active till you pull off the tab, why do they short circuit and die if stored in a metal container?
I live on a boat in a hot humid climate and get splashed or rained on regularly so I need a water-proof and fairly wear resistant way to carry a couple in my pocket. The original cardboard packet wears out in a week even still here in Seattle, I can’t believe it will last in Majuro.
My Exelia Micro BTEs last enough more than a week that I don’t really know how long they last even after 2 months of changing them.

I also used the little metal container with the screw-on lid…thought I was being clever by stashing about 24 batteries in there…and lost them all!! I couldn’t figure out why they didn’t work but now I know that a metal container is NOT the way to store hearing aid batteries.

I recently bought some Duracell’s in a plastic box. Probably not waterproof but should hold up better than he cardboard.

I bought a package of three plastic contact lens case sets at Target for $4. Each has two containers, one for each contact. I cut the containers apart and ground the cut edges smooth. One container holds a package of 6 #13 batteries. The lids screw on tightly and I carry them in my pocket. So far no problems.

Well it’s not just metal cases that drain the batteries. I had mine in a plastic contact lens case and discovered they were all dead today. The only good part is discovering why. The tab is stuck to the back of the case which wraps around being exposed and the other terminal the nub is fully exposed. Put two of these together and they will bleed down. I don’t think covering the air holes is preventing them from being active.

Now I’m back to carrying them in the awkward circular plastic gizmo.

I’ve had my Oticon 8000s (immediate predecessor to the Oticon Dual) for almost 2 years now. They’re fully automatic–I can’t control the amplification, although the internal circuitry seems to do a pretty good job of adjusting to meet my needs as the ambient noise level changes. Most of the day I’m in a pretty quiet office. My batteries (#10 itsy bitsy thingies) last roughly 5 days–varies according to what I’m doing. I don’t change them both at the same time, because there can be as much as a day difference in when they expire. The only time it’s annoying is when one will run out when I’m on my scooter or driving the car–have to pull over to change the battery myself, or in the car my SO can change it. I carry 4 batteries, 2 in each of the compartments, in the plastic Rayovac case my audiologist gave me, and that’s inside the soft case from Oticon. Whenever I use one from the case, I try (mostly successfully) to replace it that night when I get home.

Cary

I have Phonak audeo SMART IX’s with 312’s. The battery on the right side will last somewhere into the sixth day. Since I change them both at the same time, I don’t know how long the left one will last. I don’t carry batteries with me as I usually change my batteries on the morning of the sixth day whether they are dead or not.

I have original pack with batteries and I am keeping it at home and one with me in my bag/purse. I have an alarm in my calendar as a reminder to replace the battery. Sometimes if I am at class or something, I’d rather change it before and not to wait for signal of low battery XD

My HA battery always dies on me after the choir practice. Boy, that loud voices are such a power killer. The only way to preserve its power is by completely turning it off, but then I will be completely isolated. Oh well…

Have you tried turning the volume way down during practice to see if that helps? On the bright side at least you know when the batteries will die.

Batteries can be affected by extreme temperatures and moisture, so sometimes when you keep them in your car you may notice a reduced life expectancy from them.

As the above poster said, the batteries have tabs on them to keep them from being activated. when you pull the tabs off, the batteries are activated by the air. Do not put the stickers/tabs back on the battery after you remove them; you will NOT stop the drainage.

Contrary to what dockristin said about putting the stickers/tabs back on the batteries not stopping the drainage, I did a test were every night I removed the batteries and put scotch tape over the air holes and was able to get 4 extra days out of the batteries but I didn’t think it was worth the trouble. I get on average 14 days out of size 13 and was able to push it to 18 days by covering the air holes.

It surely work by turning down(3 click) the volume, hoping the battery will last at least 6 days, instead of twice a week. Carrying extra batteries in a plastic case and placing it by itself in my purse small pocket provide easy access (instead of digging it through). I also check the battery expiration which is 9/16, therefore it depends in the environment am in.
Did some research on battery but not sure if Renata is an HP battery.

Janeta,
What size battery do your HA’s use?

My HA battery uses size 312. HD fine tune it today by increasing the volume in LF and decreasing in HF.

with the price of 312 batteries… turning the volume down to make them last a little longer seems extreme.

And now we pause for a word from our sponsor:

In response to the original question, I give my patients keychain battery caddies to carry spare batteries. Not a plug for my site, but here’s a picture so you can see what I’m talking about:

http://hawkinshearing.com/shop_batt.html

Just pull out the plastic handle, and there’s a compartment for 2 batteries.

wouldn’t it be pretty simple to tear the top tab off at the perforation and stick the batteries in you pocket or purse?
oh, and the sponsor of this site has #90 312 batteries for $29.