Carrying batteries

I keep my used batteries in a paper cup. Waiting to see how long it takes to fill it up.

1 Like

Of course there will be some protracted degradation over time when the air-seal tabs are pulled, but to say the cell will discharge the same as if it is in the hearing aid - being electrically discharged - is rubbish and totally ludicrous. :eek:

Knowing how these cells work chemically, dictates that they cannot discharge significantly while waiting for the current in-use batteries to wear down to non-usable levels. First off, they are not really batteries in the truest sense of the word. They fall between fuel cells and batteries somewhere - the air/oxygen being an oxidizing medium that sets the whole zinc-oxide chemical reaction in motion.

If you could control-throttle the air/oxygen being used by the chemical reaction taking place they would be true fuel cells, but because they are not used that way they are observably more like batteries to the casual user.

Anyway, pulling the tabs off a day or two before hand will not significantly hamper performance, without having an otherwise absolute electrical drain on the the cell from the hearing aid circuits. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I now have an idea what to do with all my empty contact lens cases. It might work, as long as I don’t try to stick a battery in my eye.:smiley:

Rubbish? Really? Where did I state the cell discharge is the same when the tab is pulled as when the battery is placed in a hearing aid? Where is that statement in the information I posted via the link?

I said the battery becomes active once the tab is removed, and it does. I said the battery would eventually die once the tab is removed, and it will.

Making a statement up out of thin air and falsely quoting someone else as though that person made the statement, that’s ludicrous.

I personally like the tab as a handy little handle for when I’m inserting those tiny little things. :slight_smile:

I am interested to know if this is related to the power of the aid, particualrly the type of battery that is used in the BTE model and how that relates to the size used in the smaller custom types.

What I mean is, if a BTE aid takes a 13 battery and the ITE takes a 312 would the 312 tend to last a lot shorter time than if the BTE version also takes a 312? I am not sure if there is a “correct match” as it were between aid power and battery size or if always a 675 will last 30 days if we assume someone made a low-power aid with a 675 in it or if it would last longer. I don’t think I ever got 10 days out of a 312 battery on my ITE aid, but another BTE (analog) that I had the 312 would last over 2 weeks.

I find the long tabs totally pointless. You have to be able to hold onto the battery in order to rip off the tab at some point anyway! I suppose maybe it helps you to maneouvre it into the position, but at some point you need to be able to close tremor-free fingers around the battery and pull the tab. Doesn’t work out for me, so I have to use a table to drag the tabs off before I start and then put the hearing aid over the battery rather than the other way around. Then you slide the hearing aid over onto your other hand, turn over and shut the door.

I’ve been interested in the length of battery life several have reported here. I have Phonak audeo SMART IX’s which use a 312 battery and can almost “tell time” on the battery life which seems short - five days. Can anyone else using these aids (or comparable) post what battery life they’re getting?

I use Starkey S11’s, which also require 312s and also are receiver in the canal. I’ve been getting 7 days.

I bought a small screw-top pill box at the drug store. Its tubular and just big enough around to accept a dime. A penny is too large to fit. It’s about 2 inches long, so I stuff cotton in the bottom. I carry it in my pocket wherever I go with two batteries in it. When the time comes to change batteries, those are always the two I use. That way I know that they’re always fresh.

How long a battery will last is in direct relationship to how much power a hearing needs to work. If you have an aid that takes a size 13 but can also take a size 312 then the size 13 battery will last longer. All other things being equal that is.

In desk at work
In my brief case
In a container of supplies at home

In each case I just kep them in the original packaging

I have the Audeo Smart V’s, wear them 15 hors/day, and get 7 days.

Can you think of any other type of battery that is used 16 hours a day for 5 days and holds it’s charge? Try doing that with a flashlight and see how long the batteries last.

No I can’t think of any. My question was not to complain but to be sure I am getting expected battery life. If not there might be some malfunction needing attention.

Some snippets:

• Audeo YES IX battery life (312 size) … typically 5 days … BUT just 2 days if you use ZOOM a lot.

• Unitron Passport Shift battery life (10 size) … 3 - 5 days

• A hearing aid battery will last a year or so with the tab on.

• The life will drop to maybe 4 - 8 weeks with the tab removed, but battery not being used … so do NOT ‘pre-peel’ batteries!

• Battery life drops the louder you set the aid volume

• Maybe 1 in 100 of batteries are faulty - usually due to a tab with too little glue

• A single short spell in damp / cold / heat will kill batteries.

• Get & use a key ring battery tester … one which has a little drawer to carry two spare batteries

• Change left and right batteries at the same time - it makes life easier!

• If battery life is around 7-8 days change the batteries every weekend rather than wait for the peeps

• Don’t bother with rechargeables unless you have a special need for them

• Buy say a years worth of batteries (but not more) on the Web … the High Street prices are maybe twice or three times higher.

• Don’t get grease on the battery - it might block the tiny air holes

• Don’t get grease and muck around the battery compartment - it may restrict air flow that the battery needs.

• Don’t rely on the low battery beeps … they don’t always work well.

Thanks for this informative post.

Also:

• Don’t get worried about the technical details of battery capacity. Who really cares if you buy a 100mAH or a 95mAH cell? Other variables in your life will probably mask the effect of a lower or higher capacity battery.

• Don’t worry if the battery name is 312 or 312ZA or 312PLUS or 312PREMIUM … they will all be size 312 and will work in your hearings aids.

• Similarly, don’t worry if the battery Brand is Rayovac or Duracell or Xiang-Chow … they will work all in your hearings aids.

• Watch out for cleverly reduced pack sizes: batteries usually come in 6-cell cards and in boxes of 10 x 6-cell cards. A box of FIVE cards can be a sneaky way to overcharge.

If you bought your batteries on the Web for half price, who cares if they are from Korea, or a tad shortlived … you have already saved Big Time!

Aye, quite so: only thing to add here is that you shouldn’t store batteries in a conductive container, or even together as there is risk of a short occurring across the cell. Leave them in the dial packs for as long as possible.

One more thing, every chemical reaction doubles every 10Celcius it gets hotter, you will use more batteries in warmer climates, unless you live in an Air-con environment.

I have Audeo Smart V’s and was getting 7 days to begin with. Now that I am wearing them 15+ hours per day, it’s down to 6 days. As someone stated earlier, the amount of amplification due to your hearing loss may also have an affect. Also, the extra features of your IX’s over the V’s may cause more of a drain.