Can no longer use Oticon OPN with both phone and ConnectClip at same time

I have been using my connect clip to see clients through zoom for a couple years. My phone always continued to ring through my hearing aids and I could connect to my phone without having to disconnect and reconnect.

Recently, a couple weeks ago, My phone stopped connecting to my hearing aids. I have disconnected my hearing aids from my phone and reconnected and it worked. However, then my connect clip did not connect. As soon as I reconnected my connect clip, the phone stopped working.

I can put my phone on airplane mode and it seems to connect to the connect clip, but then I don’t hear calls.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

I assume that you have an iPhone? As it’s not possible to connect your ConnectClip to both your laptop and Android phone at the same time in the first place. I have an iPhone 7 Plus iOS 15.3.1 and I can connect my OPN 1 via the iPhone and the ConnectClip to my Windows 10 laptop at the same time. The iPhone connection takes priority. For example, while I’m using the ConnectClip to play a Youtube video on my laptop, if I play a song on my iPhone, then the iPhone streaming would override the ConnectClip Youtube video sound. A few seconds after I stop streaming on my iPhone, then the Youtube video sound would resume.

Which iPhone do you have? And do you have the OPN, OPN S, or More?

Did something happen before you started having the problem? Like maybe an iOS update? Or have a firmware update on your hearing aids?

I have an iphone 8, and opn. When I stream TV or use connect clip in the past to stream on computer my phone did take priority. For instance, if streaming (or as most often used…on zoom meeting), my phone used to ring through my hearing aids and then if answered I would hear my phone over the zoom meeting or video. recently my phone stopped ringing through my hearing aids while connected to the connect clip. I am thinking it may have to do with the Sennheiser CTB800 USB dongle. This morning I couldn’t get my connect clip to connect at all. I figured out how to reset the dongle and reconnected the clip but I can only hear through the clip and the microphone is not working. I have tried turning my bluetooth off on my phone so it does not interfere and made no progress.

Hm, OK. Barring any recent software update you did, it does make sense to think that it may be hardware related if it happens all of a sudden out of the blue without any changes made. So the Sennheiser dongle may start failing somehow. Are you using the dongle because your computer doesn’t have Bluetooth? I never have to use any USB dongle for my computer with the ConnectClip but my Acer laptop does have Bluetooth.

Some suggestions for the OP:

If running Windows on your computer, download the EPOS Connect application and check to see if there is a firmware update for your BTD 800. There have been a number of updates for the BTD 800 that was supplied with my (now old) ConnectClip. Some updates were to fix issues with applications like Teams or Zoom.

If running Windows, you might consider downloading and installing Genie 2 and use the device updater to check the firmware version of your ConnectClip. If not current, then use Genie 2 to update the ConnectClip firmware. My ConnectClip was updated some time ago by my hearing aid provider when we called Oticon Tech support as I was having problems connecting to my iMac desktop. The support person suggested the the Sennheiser (now EPOS) dongle always be used with any desktop as many Bluetooth implementations had bugs or profile issues that prevented correct operation with the ConnectClip. The person allowed that laptop implementations of Bluetooth were usually OK for the ConnectClip but not always. My work MacBook Pro works fine with my ConnectClip with the built-in Bluetooth 4.2.

Using the BTD 800 with my desktop allows my ConnectClip to reliably work when it is paired and connected to the BTD 800. I have not turned off the internal Bluetooth for the computer as it uses Bluetooth for the mouse and keyboard. If you don’t use other Bluetooth devices with your computer, you might be able to turn off or disable the internal Bluetooth if your computer has it. I would then forget all pairings at the ConnectClip and then pair with the hearing aids and then pair the ConnectClip with the BTD 800.

I have not paired my iPhone 12 (mini) with my ConnectClip as streaming and calls from the phone work fine with my OPN S 1 aids (firmware 8).

Good luck,

Stuart