Bluetooth using Specsavers' Advance Hearing Aids

Hi Deaf_Piper, yes and no they won’t let me :frowning:

1 Like

HSA only deal with Signia aids, unless you have a CI or a child. If you have any sort of pension card you should/might be eligible for the voucher service the Government has running. This only allows for the very basic level of aid though.

Hi,
Costco do not supply their aids through HSP as they do not release their software for other clinics to use, which in Australia is a stipulation for the clinic to have access to the hearing services subsidies.

Specsavers on the other hand do allow this so if you were to get your aids at Specsavers and transfer to another clinic that clinic can get the specsavers advance software to adjust the aids, hence why their aids are elligible for Subsidies under HSP. They are not ‘locked’ to specsavers clinics for adjustments

The bluetooth television devices which connect to advance are a rebranded signia streamline TV device for the advance range made by Sivantos (Signias parent company) and a rebranded phonak TV connector made by Sonova (phonak / unitrons parent company).

At present there is a global shortage of the Sonova TV connectors so even if you did want to order one you would not be able to and sonova cannot give us an answer on when they will be available. The bluetooth transmitter from JayCar may work with the Advance made by Sonova as this brand uses a bluetooth classic protocol, although sometimes there is latency with these devices - I also had a patient connect their hearing aids directly to the TVs bluetooth with no intermediate device, although am guessing this would vary across different TVs too.

Generally I tell people to see how they go with the hearing aids alone first, and if TV is still an issue to come in ang get a TV transmitter - They do work very well and will provide the best transmission of sound, but who knows - you might find that the hearing aids work well enough on their own!

Also - last thing to consider is that the advance made by Signia will only stream audio from an iPhone / IOS device (made for iphone technology) where as the advance made by sonova will stream audio from both android and iphone - Although if you have an iphone personally I prefer the made for iphone technology.

Hope that helps.

Thanks MFAUD, it certainly does help! My TV has bluetooth in the setup and it seems to connect to most devices(so I am told).

At this stage the Super range from Specsavers has the features of Phonak Paradise 70 and research tells me that it also has a good chance of connecting to my TV.

I will do as you suggest and try them out first with no bluetooth and if it works okay then I am laughing. Otherwise I will try the bluetooth in the TV and finally a transmitter.

I have three other bluetooth transmitters for my various sets of headphones and I am thinking it might even be possible to pair with one of them…

Thanks for the information

1 Like

Costco hearing aids aren’t locked,so most clinics or DIY people already have the software, quite a few of the older models they sold were locked tho.

Have you done this yourself? All indications so far say they won’t, but good if they are doing this, as it’s always been unfair for any reason, but if you have, could you go into the software and give @philwright the list of features he’s looking for,as I’m sure that would be much appreciated.

Hope your right, there locked in most parts of the world.

So there’s 2 advance models, a Sivantos model (which one, from Signia or Rexton?) and one from Phonak, based on Paradise P70, thats confusing,but could be why even Specsavers couldn’t supply the features list!

Thanks tenkan, no wonder my poor little brain gets confused!

Sorry to hear that they avoided your query. In my case the Advance version of the Linx Quattro was missing an Impact Noise feature and I also wanted to program the hearing aids myself so I went with the official Resound model which they sold at the time.

Costco KS10 is half the price of Specsavers Elite, also a better device. Plus the TV connector which is also cheaper.

1 Like

Hi hindhaugh90, Costco in Australia is far more expensive than Specsavers because Costco does not get the $1500 government subsidy and Specsavers do get it.

My problem is that Specsavers have different models but they won’t disclose the difference between them except for the price and a star system under each category. For example the difference between the Plus and the Premium is one star extra in Phones and Outdoor Activity. For this the cost increases by $500. See what I mean here

I feel that the differences must be listed somewhere but I can’t find them.

The information that I have gleaned from this forum far exceeds the information from Specsavers.

TV Connector - if your TV has BT then you might connect directly. If you can hear your standard or sound bar from the TV then you might be happy.

But the TV connector gives you an amazing stereo experience but it might be disconcerting. Noises off screen can be really well off your screen. Also consider dialogue between two characters. The one on screen is in front of you and the other off screen. Then the camera shifts to off screen character whose audio now comes from your front. This audio shift seems odd.
I enjoy TV much better with the connector.

If they are available then I will go for the bluetooth transmitter. I currently use a Bluetooth wireless headset which gives perfect sound. If I can get my HA’s to be nearly as good then I will be happy.

Hi again,
definitely worth speaking to your clinician about this - they should be able to provide you with a full feature list on the aids you are looking at and hopefully explain what they mean - This information is sent to us by the manufacturers which is kept as a ‘professional’ reference but I cant see why your clinician would not provide it to you as some patients want to know more detail than the pretty basic star refence you see on the website and in the brochures!

And lastly - don’t want to discredit COSTCO at all. I think they do a great job of providing low cost hearing aids with great sound quality and features - the KS10 is a fantastic deal for what it is. They just cant access the HSP subsidies and for some patients are not as easy to get to geographically as there is not a huge amount of stores per state.

Phil et Al, the Phonak TV connector comes with a mains transformer but you can also connect the power from a TV USB port. Audio connection is by a standard headset jack or better, the optical port.

At one point I thought I had a fault, I was wrong, but while it was away I really missed it.

Thanks for that. The technician in me, from a previous life, is wondering if I can connect to the bluetooth unit that I use to charge my Philips’ wireless Headphones and send the tv audio to them.

Not quite clear what you are suggesting. Are you saying send the TV Audio to the wireless headphones? That could work if you pair them rather than pairing the HA to the TV Connector.
If your blue tooth charger can transmit audio as well as charge your headset and you connect your TV audio physically to that charger then yes, it might.
With some TVs, plugging in a headset jack can mute the TV speakers. Plugging in to the optical port means other can hear the TV as normal.

Hi roybrocklebank, I have the headphones already paired to its transmitter. Just thinking I could pair the HA to the same transmitter and get rid of the headphones. Would save me buying another transmitter and I use optical connections with it

I tried a direct bluetooth connection between my KS10’s and my LG tv. Connected easily, but had problems with sync. Purchased the tv connector, which is great.

I have a TCL TV which allows me to adjust lip sync in the set up. Fingers crossed it will fix the sync when my new HAs turn up.

I had to replace my hearing aid when it got flipped off by facemask and lost. Five years on and new were features available. So I tried one with rechargeable battery and blue tooth but returned it and got a cheaper model minus these features. There was a 60 trial period with Specsavers. I have one good ear and am happy to use bluetooth earpiece in that ear. My mobile phone was not compatible with the new h aid and I was happy to have ordinary batteries always to hand. I did not notice much difference in the hearing enhancement between the cheaper and more expensive model.

@JeffreyAllen

Are you sure the Phonak Aids and Specsavers Aids had the same power receiver? That’ll explain the difference in power and loudness.