Bluetooth solutions: Differences between Made For iPhone, Android ASHA, BT Classic

I think another ~related problem that I was just reading about is that the Apple Watch is not MFi-capable. So if splitting were possible, you’d have the “schizophrenic” tech situation that the incoming call audio to your ears was handled by MFi whereas your outgoing voice in the call would be handled by the watch by classic(?) Bluetooth. I wonder if to coordinate two different broadcast channels using different protocols would be a big unmanageable can of worms? And when and why not will Apple bring MFi to the watch? (intentionally mangling English, rather than accidentally as usual!).

Response to Daryln. This is a very well constructed response and exactly what I do. I have the connect clip paired with my work laptop and my opn1 connected to my iPhone and the connect clip. This works beautifully with the connect clip automatically connecting to my computer and my HAs when I switch it on. There is one very annoying situation that occurs regularly. If I am working away on my computer and the phone rings, I can hear the phone call from the iPhone directly into my HAs. However during the call from time to time an email may come into my laptop and play the new email sound. This switches my HAs back to the computer and cuts off the incoming call. It does come back but it takes a few seconds. When this occurs I switch my iPhone to speaker to continue the call. The only way I have been able to stop this is to prevent the new email sound occurring.

But you can…while walking the dog this morning I answered the phone on my apple watch. Used the apple watch to speak and my HA to listen.

1 Like

Interesting to hear. I’d love to know what settings of yours enable this to give it a try. TIA!

Maybe just for a point of comparison for anyone else who wants to try this (including me), would be good to mention Apple Watch and WatchOS versions, same for iPhone and iOS, too.

My wife has Phonak Audeo M-30R (4/11/2019) HAs.

Do I understand correctly that a desktop PC with a BlueTooth dongle in one of its USB ports can stream the audio for a YouTube video directly into her HAs if they are properly paired?

I have 3.5-year-old ReSound LiNX3D’s and I understand I need to spend additional money for a device to send the audio to my HA’s.

Thanks
baumgrenze

If pc drivers will work then yes. Sometimes different dongle works than the one you just tried. But with the right combo, yes.

Another option is to use tv connector and just plug it in the pc 3.5mm headphone jack, or optical output, if you have that already for example.

1 Like

I attempted a hack to allow my Apple Watch to communicate (almost) directly with my ReSound Quattro’s by passing the iPhone but introducing another “middleperson.” And it works! (up to a point but NOT GOOD ENOUGH to be useful. Sigh!).

I discovered in trying to conquer the problem of the Apple Watch not being able to send media sound back to the iPhone that one can use the Phone Clip+ (a ReSound BT streamer designed for pre-ASHA Android phones) to send sound from the Apple Watch directly to one’s HA’s since the PC+ pairs with up to 8 classic BT devices and pairs with one’s HA’s independently of the iPhone/HA pairing.

So I thought, Hmmm!, maybe the same setup would allow hands-free calling just using the Apple Watch and the PC+ hung around my neck without having to pick up or be close to my iPhone.

I could call my wife on her iPhone from my Apple Watch via my iPhone and hear her loud and clear thru my Quattro’s via the PC+. The trouble was on her end, although she said my voice was coming through nice and loud, it was all broken up. Presumably the Apple Watch processor is not up to streaming to the iPhone (the source and sink of all phone call audio) and streaming at least audio output received from wife to the PC+ at the same time. I never even got around to try to figure out whether the PC+ microphone can send one’s voice back to the watch, then onto the iPhone to go out over the airwaves as no point in further research with my voice all broken up.

Just using the Apple Watch speaker and microphone or only my iPhone with my Quattro’s and the same cellular connection, the wife said my voice came through loud and clear and ungarbled to her.

So maybe someday with a bigger battery and more powerful processing Apple can make the Apple Watch more versatile as to how phone call audio can be routed and used.