Bluetooth Range dependency

Could not find a definite answer as most posts from 2+ years ago. SO… I now have Phonak Audeo L70RL’s with their TV box and not very impressed with the range as I can’t walk out of the room without the connection cutting out & in So… is the bluetooth range dependant on the transmitter (TV box) or the aids? Bluetooth 5.0 technology offers low latency transmitters that are long range (200+ feet)

TV Connector doesn’t work on Bluetooth……

But I agree, it isn’t the best.

2 Likes

The TV Connector uses a proprietary signal and the range can be up to 15m with line of sight. If you’re going out the room then the wall/door/anything in the way will reduce that 15m range.

1 Like

I prefer it this way, as I have 2 of them, in 2 seperate rooms/TVs. As said, it uses Airstream, not Bluetooth.

1 Like

This fits with my experience. I get good reception at about 12 meters line of sight, but starts breaking up when I put a wall or two between me and TV Connect. Works fine in my opinion.

2 Likes

I don’t get very far with mine. I think the range is low to save on battery life. Bluetooth, before le, was not very battery friendly.

1 Like

So basically it looks like Phonak’s TV Connector uses their own version of Bluetooth at a frequency of 2.4-2.4835 MHz conducting less than 20 mW power while the aid’s v 4.2 Bluetooth also uses this frequency but only radiates < 2.5mW power. I assume they communicate so the weakest link principle (power) is where the system breaks down (IMHO) and as line of sight does not pertain, obstructions between the TV connector and Aids is an important factor. So until Phonak upgrades to Bluetooth 5 or higher I will not be able to walk from my TV to the bathroom without loosing the connection.
A couple of points on Bluetooth is that v5 is 5 times as fast as v4.2 and +4 times the unobstructed range at 120M

Yes, you got that right. Phonak’s TV Connector uses its proprietary “Airstream” tech. And your observation about the TV Connector cutting out when you leave the room is what I used to experience.

I even tried swapping in a special B03 receiver/transmitter device to see if that boosted my range? Nope! Not only would my aids simply NEVER stay paired with the device, but the sound latency was noticeably annoying the few minutes it worked.

However! I recently splurged and got the Roger ON iN V2 stick kit. I have the Roger in its cradle next to the TV, and - living in a cinderblock bunker here - am able to hear the TV when I leave the TV room. The range is a good 20’ outside of the room with walls in between. I had several months of streaming issues at home here, and it seems that my current setup with the Roger in its cradle is the best solution.

Thanks 1Bluejay. I’m still in the “extended” trying out period so might be able to go with the Roger ON iN stick kit. Do you know if there is much of a price difference between it and the TV Connector? Also are there any other considerations ie will my L70-RL’s work with it?

Roger On iN is around £1500 ($2000 roughly) here in UK and TV Connector is around £100 ($160 roughly).

Massive different but the On is fab but a lot of money just for the TV.

I might’ve been ripped off cuz I bought the TV Connector V2 for $450 a couple years ago.

Roger ON iN was $2,000 USD.

How do you spell “OUCH”?

I actually prefer the sound quality of the TV Connector - stereo, rich, mellow, full. By contrast, the Roger V2 has a harsh, public address system sound quality to me. It’s hArSh! overly bright, flat but loud if that makes sense. One-dimensional, and not rich and full.

But even so, I need it to stream TV and take on the road, so I have “mothballed” my TV Connectors for now.

Your L-70s should work A-OK with the Roger ON iN. You can always trial the Roger device, too! Just keep in mind that unless you are a DIYer, you can only use that Roger stick with ONE pair of aids. It is not possible to use multiple aids with the Roger like you can with the TV Connector cuz Phonak got smart: they require a license to be installed on EACH hearing aid before it can be paired + connected to the Roger stick.

One option with TV connector would be getting longer cords to be able to place in location with less obstructions.

1 Like

Good point MDB; I did put it about 2 and a half feet higher and got a bit better range. I’ll look for longer optical & power cables and check back to let you know the results.

1 Like