BlueTooth capable hearing aids - a question and request for advice

Assuming that I buy new HAs that are Bluetooth capable, how do I DISCONNECT them from whatever Bluetooth transmitter is currently “paired”? Is connection/DISCONNECTION easy, or does it require use of an APP?

I HATE needing an app as an intermediary to do anything with my HAs. My current HAs are Phonak Breo 3 from Costco and are now 5+ years old. I WANT to be able to listen DIRECTLY to my LG TV (Bluetooth capable) WITHOUT need of an additional transmitter.

SO FAR, the few Bluetooth capable HAs that I’ve looked at will ONLY connect to a smart phone. I do NOT need this feature!

2 Likes

There are versions of Bluetooth. Getting familiar with the version in your TV and your HAs should help on this quest.

If you get new HAs, plan on maybe needing a new TV as well.

If your new HAs have BT 5.3 and your TV also has BT 5.3 you will have a better chance of success.

To disconnect your BT HAs from the TV, most likely turning the TV on and off is all you’ll need to do.

If you current TV doesn’t work with your new HAs, go to a TV store and keep trying to pair with TVs until you meet with success.

HAs are not necessarily the same as earbuds from a TVs point of view

Probably easiest is to do it from whatever device you’re connected to. If a phone for example, go into phone settings, bluetooth and disconnect. If you’re talking TV, then you’d use your remote to go into TV settings.
If you want to be able to connect directly to your TV, you’ll need to learn a bit more about Bluetooth and know what version of Bluetooth it uses. I know you say you don’t want to use another transmitter, but that is the easiest way to do it without a more detailed understanding of bluetooth.
The newer Phonak aids use Classic Bluetooth and will connect to most Bluetooth devices. Never assume anything is just going to work though. Confirm it works before you’re commited to the purchase.

1 Like

The problem with bt streaming tv are sync issues. The delay will drive you crazy, unless you just want dialog for news maybe or for music. The reason every hearing aid manufacturer offers a TV streamer device is because of the sync issues. Dialog will not match to screen. Most hearing aid TV Streamers offer dolby sound quality and the ability to sync on all apps, channels, ota, as well as adjust bass, treble, dialog mode, etc if needed. And unless you have custom molds and regardless of BT or streamer, the sound quality will be weak and tinny sounding because most low freqs leak out, even with double power domes. Thinking if you tried a TV streamer you would be surprised (and not want to go back), although it is an added expense (ebay/Amazon has them for cheap). Same with the aid app, makes everything easier, faster, with more selections and options than those little buttons on hearing aids.

7 Likes

I want to THANK everyone who has responded, and SO QUICKLY! You folks are WONDERFUL and remind me of the 5% of humanity that is decent!

2 Likes

I would simply turn off the transmitter. In a phone, turn off the bluetooth radio. Or manually disconnect. I think there’s also a way to go into something like an airplane mode on the aids which turns off the bluetooth transceiver.
But really, for watching tv, those streamer devices are excellent. I turn it off when I don’t need it too. I have it that its power comes from the tv and if I turn off the tv then it turns off too but then it would come back on when the tv turns on again. So I manually turn it off and then on as needed.
As mentioned, the newer Phonaks can connect to any standard bluetooth. Don’t get me started on Apple products. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

I never knew there were variants in Bluetooth.

I asked Costco about the new Phonaks and was told that a TV transmitter intermediary is STILL neccessary!

I don’t know what your issue is with Apple but I DESPISE the company and will NEVER AGAIN buy an Apple product! They act like they do NOT need customers!

1 Like

Costco and Phonak had a divorce.
You don’t need the tv device. It’s just really good.
As mentioned earlier, the Phonaks use what’s called classic bluetooth. Or standard bluetooth. But also as mentioned earlier they do not use the deeper piece of tech called aptx which eliminates lip-sync lag. Standard bluetooth will show that lag. The tv device does not.

We agree on Apple. But many people, and here too, love them.

3 Likes

My LG TV is fairly new. LG says it offer Bluetooth version 5.0. My now older Phonak HAs are Bluetooth 4.2 certified. I assume that means they are incompatible. Although, from all the wonderful people who’ve responded here sounds like (ooph, sorry, I couldn’t resist) I would be UNHAPPY with the sync delay.

I think I’m gonna stick with these HAs and the TV intermediary transmitter until the HAs die. Besides, all the newer HAs are rechargeable and MY experience with rechargeable ANYTHING has NOT been good.

I want to TRULY THANK all who have responded with such excellent advice and information!

Arthur

1 Like

LG would be stupid to make a TV that was not backward compatible.
most all new tech is backward compatible, a new 4K TV will play a standard video picture, it may have software to make it better, but it will still play it.
USB 3.0 will connect to 2.0 and 1.0 devices
I am quite sure blue tooth 5.0 will connect to 4.2 devices also.

1 Like

I have rechargeable Resound One 9 aids. They arre now 20 months old. I wear them approx 15 hours a day min. At end of day, they still have 40% charge left. That is the same today as when new. I was skeptical but now would never go back to batteries. While totally a personal choice, im so glad I took the leap

1 Like

I am GLAD that your experience has been positive so far and I hope it continues that way!

One of my concerns, besides poor battery quality, is that I forget the charger and I’m away from home! With batteries, I can ALWAYS buy some!

4 Likes

My left aid is now 3 years and the right aid just 2. During the day they tend to keep pace except in the evening the older aid is down by about 10% . The aids are often running out of power after 15 hours but …

BT streaming can really hammer the battery. I found that the aids would self-select BT Streaming but would sometimes not revert to the Automatic setting.

It means both the TV and HAs will try to connect using BT 4.2. this is called backward compatibility.

The lowest common denominator between the two devices.

This is where learning what the difference is in BT versions will help in the decision process.

BT 5.3 has BT low energy (BLE), the most advanced HAs will support BLE.

Each device has a BT profile. Both devices need to understand and support the profiles for success.

Unfortunately, I don’t know which TVs or HAs might fit your use case. The proper combo may not exist.

I would recommend trying more tvs in the store. Try to arrange with the dealer to allow you to test several TVs with hearing aids. You pay him a beer in return.

An intermediary device like Phonak tv conector or tv link is your most reliable and best solution, it works in one direction and saves the battery of the hearing aid compared to a classic connection.

2 Likes

I have Phonak Nadia P90 and the TV Connector. The TV has bluetooth, which I do not use, and there is a soundbar. The soundbar has a slight sync issue connected with HDMI. So, when I have the TV Connector and the soundbar on there is a slight echo sound. The Phonak phone app allows one to use a slider phase out surrounding sound. The TV Connector is in perfect sync hooked to an optical connection.

I can tell you for sure that once you have watched TV this way, you will not go back. No more subtitles. Only issue is that if someone wants to talk to you, you have to pickup your phone and either move the slider or simply turn the HA’s back to a listening channel.

If you leave the TV room the HA’s go back to automatic. However the TV Connnector stays on even with the TV off and may reconnect when you get near it, so when I a finished with TV, I turn it off.

If your TV has a USB-A plug on the back, that may go dark when you turn the TV off and thus turn off the connector when the TV is off if you try plugging the connector into that.

WH

Thanks, I tried the USB A on the TV but it did not have enough power to support the TV Connector. I assume it is for data only.

Unfortunately, my Phonaks are OLDER and the company REFUSED to spend money and time to develop the app for Android. The app is virtually useless. YOUR APP must be a VAST improvement.

Your description of the TV connector appears to be about the same as mine. Fiber Optic connection and NO sync issues. I DO get an echo when my wife has the TV volume up beyond a certain level.

Unfortunately, my Phonaks do NOT disconnect when I leave the room. I must physicaly turn the TV Connector OFF or I must sync my HAs with the crappy app and turn the TV Connector program off in the HAs OR I will have the TV in my ears over something like a 50-60 feet range.

Other than the app, I’ve been very satisfied with the Phonak Breo. The ONLY reason I’m asking now WAS (past tense) the thought of buying new HAs to connect DIRECTLY to my TV without needing the Connector!

From all the WONDERFUL responses I’ve gotten here, I will NOT be doing this!

I WILL, however, look into YOUR model!

THANK YOU!!

BTW, according to a Google search:

What is the range of Phonak P90?

The Phonak Audeo Paradise P90 can also be paired with the Phonak TV Connector to stream and listen to the TV directly through your hearing aids within range of 15 meters.

Raising a question because I hate to see people buy stuff based on misunderstanding. Do the Brio 3s use the same version of TV Connect that current BT models (Marvel, Paradise and Lumity) use?
It might, but I just don’t know.