Best Late Model Disposable Battery Hearing Aid

I have been wearing the RIE Jabra’s from Costco circa 2020 (Resound One? with M&RIE). But they are failing me and I need to replace them.

I would love to hear of your experience with late model, disposable battery RIE hearing aids. It would be most helpful if you could please consider the following:

• I am not interested in rechargeable and have already been treated like a jerk in another thread for asking honest questions that people would not answer, so please let’s focus on disposable battery aids.

• I do not love the Jabra’s, they were just the only disposable battery option at my Costco at the time

• I would love to hear about your experience in wind. My Jabra’s suck. I have to take them out just to walk around the neighborhood on a breezy day.

• I would love to hear if you can have a separate EQ setting for the phone. The Jabra’s do not do this and I really wish they would.

• I am a “set 'em and forget 'em” kind of guy. So various features that require me to fiddle with my aids in different settings are not real interesting to me.

• I also do not like hearing aids that are switching settings on their own. I find that they never make the decision that I need them to make.

• I currently adjust my own hearing aids with the Noah thing and the Resound software. So I’m interested in that ability as well.

Thank you so much.

Oticon Real miniRITE T (312 batterie) have a realy good wind supression , this is active in all three Real models 1, 2 and 3. And the Real have a separate EQ setting for streaming/phone, and you are able to adjust this hearing aids on your own.

4 Likes

What @firenzel said. I have Oticon Real 1 312’s that I trialed July-September and then bought.

The Philips 9040 MiniRite T might be worth looking at. It uses a 312 battery, is available at Costco and was only released recently.

4 Likes

Awesome. Thanks. @firenzel and @x475aws.

@glucas I’ll take a look at that as well. My wallet prefers the Costco line.

My comment is going to be about the overall platforms rather than RIC specifically but in another thread @codergeek2015 is trialing some Oticons (BTE UPs) and reported being very happy about the wind block tech and lack of noticeable program switching.

I’m currently on Phonaks (also BTE UPs) and have had Phonaks several times in the past and I do think that the Phonak platform as a whole tends to be fiddlier and definitely has more program switching than some of the other brands I have had (Resound, Unitron, and my previous HAs were Oticon). Still might be worth trying as the program switching is much much better on the Lumity platform - I hated the last generation but like this one quite a lot - and you may get lucky and find a single program that meets your needs.

3 Likes

Signia Pure 312 AX… this reply is too short?

I’m using the Philips 9040 with the 312 battery.

It’s not that windy here in the Seattle area and I don’t ride a bicycle, but wind hasn’t been a problem for me. I would say the wind suppression is better then my old Bernafon Zerenas.

I find it amusing that you say you are a set and forget kind of person, yet you want EQ, and the ability to program the hearing aids.

Anyhow, you can self program the hearing aid with the Hearsuite software using Noah.

EQ settings are for streaming music.

I would try the Philips hearing aids at Costco, you have 180 days to return them if they are not what you want.

1 Like

I wish I could reply “Phonak’s newly-released Lumity Life disposable battery aid for size 13 users” … but that simply ain’t happening. I’m drumming my fingers waiting for that day, but by the time it’s ever off the drafting board, there will be newer, better aids that are only RECHARGEABLE. I totally agree with your preference for the battery aids, but at least my Phonak Lumity Life rechargeables have given me a better hearing experience if NOT a long-lasting charge.

2 Likes

Been thinking about this for a while @1Bluejay, you are gradually creeping up on the Profound threshold, with Severe hearing loss, across the board, then hitting profound around 8k, so perhaps your next option might be the next iteration “after”, the Naida Lumity BTE UP… Although larger than the RIC’s, this option isn’t without its merits, around 12 to 14 days runtime, brilliant connectivity via Bluetooth, then there is the richer & fuller sound scope of a BTE, that no RIC can ever emulate… There is also plenty headroom. Food for thought, perhaps? Cheers Kev :grin:

2 Likes

I totally GET that! My prob is that I’m allergic to the acrylic mold that the tube would need to connect to if I go BTE. I can’t even figure out myself how I’ve done this well with an RIE, but there you are! Maybe cuz I’ve worn aids since my mid-30s?

I daydream about that HEADROOM with more powerful aids… And I did recently get in to my audi to boost the MPO so she could tinker with the GAIN. I found that the slight adjustment was okay, but not WOWiE.

Now don’t go torturing me with all the sound improvement of those BTEs, cuz unless I can find a material I’m not allergic to, it’s no-go. Plus I have daily swelling in my ear canals, so I even wince to push the speaker matchsticks in my ear canal with a soft double-dome on the end.

I greatly appreciate your pondering my options tho! My perfect setup would be the power of BTE with skin-friendly dome on speaker … and BATTERY OPERATED, not rechargeable! :wink:

2 Likes

Copy and paste from Google.
Material Matters: What Are They Made Of? Hearing aid domes are typically made from medical-grade silicone or elastomer materials.

2 Likes

Have you tried soft silicon moulds?

Oticon and Widex probably have the best wind management on the market right now. For Oticon it’s in the Real but for Widex I can’t remember when they came out with their new wind feature, but it’s at least two generations.

One of the reasons the Sonova devices can get pumpy is that their software gives the clinician more control over adjusting each individual sub program. This can be useful, but as you can imagine if the clinician does something dramatic to just one subprogram then the switch is going to become very obvious.

3 Likes

You are welcome @1Bluejay :grin: Yeah I know the script, we have opposing allergies though, as I am allergic to Silicon, and I have only recently switched to soft acrylic, (see image below) these work well in conjunction with the Naida Lumity UP’s, I wasn’t particularly confident the moulds would work, but I am happy to report they are very comfortable, and no sign as to any allergic reactions, thus far…So much so, I intend ordering a 2nd set, on my follow up appointment next week :grin: In the UK, Starkey appear to be the predominant maker of all the moulds? I believe they will also make, gold coated custom moulds, perhaps a route worth exploring, since as you are no doubt aware, they are an American company, so all options should be easily available on your side of the pond? Good Luck in finding a viable solution to your allergy problem… Cheers Kev :wink:

3 Likes

I had the philips 9040 and it was very good in wind. It also comes in recharge or disposable battery (as does the new Jabra pro 20).

1 Like

Yes, I’m guessing my Phonak double-domes (smoke topaz in color) are the medical grade silicone. I don’t seem to be allergic to that material.

1 Like

FUDGE! I had those very same custom tips on my Phonak Lumity Life aids. My ears started to burn and itch after about 2 days of wearing them. I’ve still got them, but I doubt I’ll ever be able to use them. Mine were actually fit right on the entire matchstick speaker. It was a snug fit, and might have even rendered my aids WATERPROOF as claimed? But I had to replace them with the softer, smoke topaz colored double domes, as that seems the only material I don’t have a reaction to.

I’m allergic to the pink-tinted hard acrylic, the clear acrylic, and the firm silicone as pictured on your aids. My ear canals seem to be made of skin from another planet cuz I can put eyeshadow on without breaking out, wear cheap jewelry without an issue, but only the soft silicone double domes in my dang ears.

For the record, I haven’t tried titanium …

1 Like

I’ve tried the clear, firm silicone molds - ALLERGIC!

I can only tolerate the smoke topaz colored soft silicone double domes. These are not custom fit to my ears, but since my ears swell up and go down daily, it’s been an optimal solution for fit, comfort and non-allergenic.

1 Like

The Philips HAs in the US are only sold by Costco. They are good but service in the US is ifey since they have to be sent to Costco then to the factory and the factory will not service them when the warranty expires