Best Late Model Disposable Battery Hearing Aid

Hello, I started out with Rextons from Costco in 2016 or 17. Liked them. Moved to Phonaks (private provider) in 2020. Then in July 2023 to the Philips 9040s from Costco.

Disclaimer, my experience, yours may differ. I returned the Philips just this afternoon and went with the new Rextons.

The Philips fit was off (I tried Sharky? Domes to get a better fit). The left aid never hooked to my phone. The software had only 3 programs, none of which worked well. You could not steer the direction with the software program to tune for hearing. It did not deal with the car noise at all when traveling. It was horrible with TV and I could not imagine teaching (or taking) a class with them.

The new Rextons use a different, more pliable and effective dome. It is like a vented, truncated cone that is more comfortable.

They are more easily connected to my phone and the programs offered are actually usable. Noise/party, Outdoor/traffic, Music, TV and the standard Automatic are the five I had installed. I had an option for a sixth which I did not need. Music could be installed to emphasize Live, Playing, or Recorded if I recall. They are good with TV (on outdoor/ traffic, I forgot to change them when I came in from the drive). Much bettercthanvthe Philips on their General program.

The Rexton software allows the incoming sound to be selected directionally. I call it steering, like one could steer a radar beam or a spotlight, but inbound. So it can be omnidirectional close or wider. Or you can focus left side, or front, back or right. You can set incoming sound to recieve a variable arc. For example, 15 degrees directly in front or 180 degrees behind, etc.

I only have six hours on this pair. But they are extremely effective. Your mileage may vary. Costco honored the 180 day guarantee. The price is significantly better than what I paid for the Phonaks (5K) or for what my local pirate tried to charge me for what she was selling ($3700 per ear, take it or leave it).

You can try the Philips and return them if you dont like them. I have to drive for 2 hours to get to the nearest Costco so I tried hard to like them. I would have liked to retain the Telecoil option that I had on the Phonaks and the Philips but the battery powered models of Rexton didn’t offer that option. But for me, the Rexton battery powered BiCore R 312s beat the hell out of the Philips aids.

RExton–Signia–seems to do very well on their rechargeable battery life. My Signia AX7s with a telecoil battery are still running strong, well beyond my daily needs, after a year and a half. this seems to be better performance than others are reporting with other aids.

Your allergy situation is very similar to mine. As soon as I was switched to clear acrylic molds (according to my former audiologist they are acrylic, who I have since fired because there is absolutely 0 trust there any longer) my right ear has been itching at least 8 times a day. I kept telling him this isn’t normal and his response was “but you’re wearing the same thing”. My response: “then why was I switched from dry, cloudy acrylic molds to the clear ones in 2019?” And explain to me why I have to go to my ENT every three weeks instead of every 6 months like I used to prior to 2019??? He had no response and he did not have a solution, because that would require me to switch back to ear molds that are no longer with the manufacturer he gets kickbacks from. I should have fired him then.

My new audiologist could tell me exactly which ear mold I very likely had when I described the dry cloudy kind, so I’ve switched back to that, and we’ll see what happens next Friday with my new aids and mold. She also stated that it’s very likely that in 2019, my former audiologist switched to using Phonak ear molds (since the manufacturer has always been hidden from me since) and/or they changed to using a different formula but it’s close enough that they can still call them “acrylic.”

I remember the name of the ear mold company she is using from prior to 2019, so I definitely was not using Phonak molds, so I think we’re finally on the right track to solving my allergy to these new ear molds. Here’s hoping.

2 Likes

The Philips 9040 hearing aids can have four programs loaded at the same time.

1 Like

True. My gripe wasn’t the number of programs. It was that the programs offered did not work for me.

I just wanted to correct the misinformation.

Wow. That is not only discouraging, but in a way totally UN-surprising! Someone at Phonak prob’ly figured out they’d save 59 cents if they swapped some chemical into the mix for a more expensive (higer quality!) one. It’s just sad that the paying customers have to find that out and report back!

I had an audi 20 yrs ago who literally shaved down, then built up my aids using nail polish. He’d “bake” that in a microwave-looking thing to set it up. I was so hideously allergic to that I developed my 1st case of bad otitis. Then had almost as bad a reaction to the tinted pink “hypo-allergenic” custom mold he made; then again reacted to clear acrylic, then to the firm silicone. So I’ve really walked in your shoes, and empathize immensely for the discomfort you’ve had in the face of stonewalling.

I sure hope you find relief and the perfect mold material with the new audi! If I wasn’t already married to The Tech Kahuna, I’d go find a nice audi, cuz they are partners for life. :wink: Well, a dermatologist on the side would also be nice, but luckily I’ve found two professionals to fill these shoes for me!

2 Likes

@1Bluejay - I would not be surprised if the assessment in your first paragraph there is exactly what happened.

And: wow. I am surprised your audiologist there did something like that. I’ll keep everyone updated on how things go.

For once, I am encouraged that I am on the right track towards solving this thing, and I am so glad I got my new audiologist.

2 Likes

@1Bluejay ,so what about thin tubes and your domes on the Naida L UP ,675 batteries?

I’ve got two pairs of Phonak Lumity Life aids, so won’t be trading them in for Naida. Battery-operated is appealing (over my current 2 pairs of rechargeables). But for now, I’ll stick with the current setup: double domes on RIE + wire + Lumity Life.

And thanks for asking! :slightly_smiling_face:

Looking at GN Resound website the RX Model called “Jabra Enhance Pro” are the same from GN Resound.Its a whole different world with Rechargeable hearing Aids,unlike You I prefer rechargeables and have Signia Pure AX, Beltone (GN Resound) Omnia,Rexton M Core which are my favorites as I have Tinnitus very bad and these really help.Wind Noisewith Jabra’s seem to be a big problem for whatever reason I dont have this problem with any of mine.

The wind noise attribute is dependent on how it is programmed by the audiologist and has no bearing on disposable battery vs. rechargeables.

2 Likes

True it has no bearing on rechargeable or battery mdels,it depends on where the microphone is located,we all have different ear canals so those woth extended or floppy ears would need to decide before purchasing a HA and take a walk along the each etc.The Microphone Location is the Culprit,not the Audiologist Programming.None of my Models have a problem due to my straight ear drum and lobe which blocks the wind from hitting the microphone.

1 Like

Good point!! As someone who strictly wears BTE hearing aids, I did not consider that perspective. Thank you for adding it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are all based on the top 3rd of any BTE/RIC anyway, so it would be a combination of fit and programming, all the manufacturers have wind noise reduction features because of this issue(which don’t really seem to work anyway) the Oticonians are saying that the Real has cracked it without losing speech comprehension, regardless of ones ear shape.

2 Likes