Beeping Oticon Opn 1's

I had the same experience. One way to solve it is to turn off the Bluetooth on the device you are nor using, which is not always very practical. Instead, I decided to delete the OPN on the iPad and use the OPN only on my iPhone.

1 Like

99% of the time, I use the connection from the iPad to HA’s and only use a connection to the iPhone for actual phone calls. The thing is that I can no longer hear adequately on a regular phone and have to use the connected iPhone. We really need these things to connect to devices better. I’m watching this forum to see how people respond to the Phonak Paradise that is supposed to connect to two devices.

Yes I have had to do it too. I have a case open with both Apple and Oticon about this issue. Apple claims there shouldn’t be any issues with being paired to both devices. And Oticon says to only have Bluetooth enabled on one at a time. Which isn’t practical.

how they connect?
Shitty :rofl:

First pair, 13T version, had to beg them to connect to my laptop, and solution was to kill BT on phone, restart BT on laptop, restart the aids and be patient. And after it connects to laptop, I can connect to phone. Then both connection are sturdy.

Then tried the rechargeable version. Would connect immediately, no restarts needed, I was taken away.

Then phonak audi department explained that they should definitely behave the same.
So we ordered new 13T.

In meantime R did nice. Until the moment when I had job interview and they refused to connect, then only sound but not mic, then only mic but no sound (on laptop). Very bad moment to not work.
Switched to the phone, all good.
Few tests more, and it started hiccuping, so I basically don’t know with them anymore if they’ll connect fast or not, same with the app, started having errors.

I got new 13T pair. Just tested it, behaves the same as previous battery pair. Maybe I didn’t have to restart the aids but all BTs I had to and first offer connecting to the laptop.

Once connected is fine, and starting stream and stopping on two devices still work fine (but you have to stop stream eg youtube, better said, not - if you’re first watching on laptop and start on phone, it will automatically stop laptop stream and switch to phone stream, but not the other way around).

Also, connection with the app is insanely long, 2x timeout (20 sec x2 in my case).
R version was much better, until I had it for like a week, then it started showing the same symptoms.

My conclusion - they’re in desperate need for an update. Or me for a new phone :rofl: ( have samsung s8)

I don’t know how regular headphones behave with switching BT sources? Maybe there lies the answer for common BT behaviour.

Maybe BT just isn’t meant to be instantly connected to another source?
I have a feeling that if I had active streaming, then it takes some time to stops that antenna in order for it to be show on laptop to be able to connect.
Like streaming reserves the antenna and doesn’t allow any other steps.

With marvels which could be connected to only one device it was simpler, but steps were the same - kill the bt on phone, reset/scan bt on laptop, wait, connect.
Repeat the opposite if you want it connected with the phone.

Maybe someone can shed some light about how BT behaves, I think I’m missing such information in order to be able to understand this to me weird HAs behaviour.

@MDB do you know maybe?

Nope. I have very little understanding how bluetooth works other than I consider it “glitchy.” I’m of the mindset of if you want something to work reliably, connect it with wires!

I forgot who are our BT experts, thought you were… :rofl:
Until this HA I didn’t have any listening device with BT. Only one keyboard for the TV and my watch and heart monitor to connect to phone, and I think I’ve managed to connect my room bicycle to some app, but heart monitor and bicycle didn’t want to cooperate if I remember correctly. Forgot. Stopped using bicycle :rofl:

@d_Wooluf @Raudrive @jim_lewis @ssa @Spindel @markoo355

Maybe someone from you can help with this, how is BT supposed to behave in regular headsets for example?
Thanks

well there is Bluetooth then there is the way that hearing aids implement bluetooth. Which is not the same.

My “expertise,” if any is in reading things carefully regarding compatibility of different devices.

1 Like

Definitely not an expert even though I’m a bit obsessed with LE Audio. This might be worth reading?

1 Like

I am not sure I would go that far. Variable is the word I would use.
Phone - cheap Nokia android no problem. Pairs fine with my laptop (Lenovo) and plays well with both.
Dell desktop. Not so nice sometimes works sometimes not. Have had to re-pair a number of times and does not automatically connect.

The most bizarre part though on the Dell the aids hang Zoom on my end. No audio, and no video from individuals in the ‘room’. How strange is that?

All drivers up to date, and in fact reinstalled to no avail. It is very odd.

Mine are the P70R btw.

After they messed up my job interview call, I definitely abandoned polite adjectives :joy:

My laptop is lenovo thinkpad t480. So definitely not something obsolete :joy:

Hm, I never needed to re-pair. Just shutdown BT on phone and do bunch of restarts on laptop.

But this when mics didn’t work in first try, and after reconnect sound didn’t but mics did, for that one i don’t have any explanation. That was totally crazy.

In any case, they’re not reliable.

But if definitely could be that BT on computers differs in something from BT on phones. As @cvkemp said, implementation differ. My current assumption is that HAs are aligned with BT implementation on phones, but not on computers.

@d_Wooluf ahso, LE audio i see as something that we need to wait a few years, which is fine if you have aids that work today for you
I don’t so I want to figure out current BT first, if that’s even possible :rofl:
Thanks for the link, will check it

@Blacky Totally get that. The link above is for Bluetooth Classic. Reading through it now, I’m not sure it says anything that we don’t know already. Personally I’m never sure which source I’m going to get when I put on my headphones and I’m never sure which headphones I’m going to get when I press play on my phone. It’s annoying.

1 Like

I didn’t know about stuff from the link, so it was informative. Thanks.

I’ll dig a bit deeper now that I find out new terminology :slight_smile:

I’ve had this problem the last 2 days never had it before, randomly in between videos once side will make a jingle followed by the other then it would disconnect from my Bluetooth and then I switch off both hearing aids and for some reason then they both take a lot lot longer to come back on but as I try and connect it back on when they come on the jingle plays and cuts it out again lol sometimes they made a 5 beep jingle then come back on randomly

If it’s the startup jingle then it means that the OPNs are rebooting themselves for some reason. If this happens only occasionally, then it’s acceptable.

I don’t know what a 5 beep jingle is. Never heard of it before.

If it keeps happening frequently and consistently, I’m guessing that your OPNs are starting to fail. It’s probably time to give your HCP a call.