Battery Drain with Bluetooth

After following some of the posts about Android compatibility with regular Bluetooth (rather that Made for IPhone connectivity) and the associated battery drain issues, I wonder why more of the users don’t opt for Google Duo or FaceTime using the MFI feature on their IOS device. I find that the audio is very, very clear. I think that the trade off of high battery drain for using Bluetooth is not worth it.

There are a significant number of people on the forum who hate Apple products. I’m not wild about them myself, but if I wanted direct streaming from my phone or tablet, I’d get one.

1 Like

Raises hand in agreement.

Apple :-1:t4: Android :+1:t4:

But I bought an iPhone because of my hearing aids after struggling with Android. :eyes:

3 Likes

I don’t want to be misunderstood here: I am an Android user. I guess the point I was trying to make was until Android adopts a low power Bluetooth version (which I hope will happen), that a pretty good option is to use an IPad, etc. with Google Duo or FaceTime. I’m not interested in replacing my HA batteries every four hours.

It took me a bit to figure out what you were saying, but you were clear to me. You’re ok with using both operating systems. Some are not.

I find the pseudo religious wars Android vs Apple to be stupid and idiotic. Alphabet an Apple each have facets of their philosophies that annoy me. I win these damn companies would just peddle their wares and STFU about everything else. These phones are tools. Right now, Apple bothered to have a solution in concert with the hearing aid providers. So, I changed to Apple. I have had numerous products from Apple, Android, Microsoft, Palm. I have had tablets galore. Apple and Samsung are simply the best in my experience.

Standard Bluetooth will draw more current and will inflict a hard hit on battery life…period.

So pick what you like ad be aware of the pros and cons.

1 Like

I would equate it to sports teams as well…pseudo religious.
I don’t like either. Which is why I went Blackberry. RIP :slight_smile: So now I’m stuck with one or the other because the BB OS died. My phone still works perfectly fine and does all I need it to do and it even has bt 4.2 so it could theoretically connect to the Phonak Marvel.
Like I said elsewhere…I would prefer Phonak implement btle5 but whatever. As long as they stay out of Apple’s sandbox…count me in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like anything, the sandbox as it’s blessings and it’s curses. …as does no sandbox.

2 Likes

The advantage of Apple is that the hardware is limited to a few models and they own the operating system so the experience has more consistency. If you want it to just work, Apple is probably the best choice.

The advantage of Android is that there is a variety of hardware from different vendors and an inconsistent implementation. Which makes it harder for compatibility across devices.

For the best compatibility on Android, I would pick a common model from a mainstream vendor and get feedback on the forums how well the different models work. My son has a OnePlus 5T which seems pretty nice and the phone is not loaded with a bunch of crapware apps.

I use Apple because I have used Apple since before the hate and for the most part, their stuff just works. I have enough hobbies…I just want the phone to work.

2 Likes

I have NOT used Apple due to high cost and closed proprietary systems. If you wish to define that as hate then that seems a little harshly inappropriate.

3 Likes

Do you honestly believe Android is open?

Yes, Android (OS Linux written in C, apps written in Java) is very open compared to other platforms, and Play Store has mild censorship compared to Apple.

3 Likes

I can see the occasional weekly call to/from family in using Duo et al. 99.9% of caalls (100% of business calls) are via phone network.

Maybe it doesn’t apply to you, but if you read other posts, there is a lot of emotion around the issue.

I seem to be the only participant on this forum that has no problem with my Korean made hearing aids connecting directly via regular Bluetooth to my LG Android phone, ALead wireless Mic, and laptop Windows computer. My rechargable hearing aid batteries are not removable and run 12 hours with no problem. The aids are always “connected” to my phone when wearing them. I suppose I could connect them to my new 2018 Nissian Leaf car but I won’t bother with that.

Using the KS8’s with an iPhone 6, I’m replacing my batteries about every 3-4 days. At under 25 cents per battery, I think it’s money well spent. That’s about $1.00 per week of operating expense for an amazing hearing experience.

I define hate in this case as generalized irrational emotional reactions to ones choice of a phone that characterize the “other” as a “fanboy”. You and I have different priorities, nothing more.

1 Like

Widex Beyond and Evoke have the one of the lowest power consumption on the market. Personally, I did not find obnoxiously increased battery consumption while streaming onto my Evokes yet. I change my batteries after 5 - 7 days. I keep the 5-minute-on-air battery rule. When I didn’t, battery life shortened to five days.

I guess I got the luck of the draw. ReSound Forte 8 (same as Linx 3D). I have the 962 RIC which is the size 13 battery, and was getting 8-10 days with hours / day streaming podcasts mostly and some music. Now I have a better solution to listening to those and am getting 11+ days of battery life. (knock wood)

That’s good. With my old DREAM aids I had 12 to 13 days of battery life. When I wanted EVOKE, only 312 battery model is able to do 2.4 GHz streaming to iPhone. So I had to go with smaller battery model. But I’m quite satisfied, frankly. The aids are very light and performing well.