Battery charging problem with Costco Kirkland 10.0

What was the problem with the charging. Was it charging problems or battery life. I have a wonderful possibility of buying a barely used kirkland 10.0. I saw herw a wonderul post on changing the battery ourselves. But if its a charging problem… Forget it.

Thanks

1 Like

Not sure but I believe someone in here (not sure if it was @ Donnie) said the charging units were fugazi, that’s why I think Costco said fuggitabtit, no more Phonak.
But I believe that phonak has solved the problem, I could be wong.

1 Like

Do you mean the charger was the problem. So is i buy a new one its ok?
Cause o got a deal for 400 dollars barely used ones. But warranty won’t be transferable. Thanks

I bought and returned the KS10 because of battery life, barely 10 hours. I have Phonak Lumity now and get 18 hours or more. They last longer than i do. Very happy with the hearing results and features of the Lumity, as well as the battery life.

2 Likes

Definately cannot afford the lumity one.

And here i saw how to change out the rechargeable battery. Super easy!!!

2 Likes

I’ve had KS-10’s since May 2021. A few intermittent problems have popped-up the last 2-3 months. Rebooting the aids by holding the off switch for ~15 sec. sometimes helps.

Occasionally the Easy Line app tells me the the charge level is low late in the day but when I put the aids in the charger, one changes from flashing yellow to flashing green (indicating nearly full charge) in just minute or two. And then Easy Line says it is nearly charged (which I don’t believe). So I take it out of charger sometimes reboot & re-insert and then it (usually) flashes yellow and gradually gets charged.

Other than the occasional hiccup plus moderately shorter life, the aids are still working well – I hear better than with my previous KS-7’s.

I’ve not heard of changing the built-in battery. But if the aids get much worse, I may see if Costco can get them fixed. And after 3 years, my health insurance will cover another pair of aids.

Update: tonight with both aids @ ~40-50%, I put them in charger and the L one was flashing green after a few minutes while the R was flashing yellow. Easy Line showed they were 99 & 70%. I took L out of charger, Easy Line still showed 99%. So I rebooted L & put back in charger, then Easy Line reported 85%. Now, several minutes later it shows 93 & 79%

2 Likes

The phonak charger is compatible and cheap on ebay, I bought a 2nd one for my P90Rs for about 25U$.
See also here:

3 Likes

The KS10s work well. There are some issues with charging, but they are easily resolved. The contacts can become dirty and need to be cleaned occasionally. If the charging case is bumped slightly, the aids may lose connection to the contacts. (I don’t have the “automatic on” selected so the aids won’t discharge when that happens). The aids are computers that occasionally “lock up” and need to be rebooted. (This will happen if the aid is placed in the charger while it is in the process of turning on). The battery lasts all day unless you are streaming a lot. An hour in the charger, while I am showering or working outside, will allow the aids to last the rest of the day.

2 Likes

your post is very helpful.

I have Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R hearing aids

I’ve had to reboot one of mine twice then recharge it

I recently had them setup properly. They are so much better

I respected COSTCO for carrying Phonak clones. Oh well.

Quite a few people here have saved a lot buying COSTCO hearing aids. Their warranty is exceptional too.

I put my Phonak P90s in at 7:00 am. They are in automatic mode constantly. I take them out about midnight. 17 hours. I do stream video/audio for 2 hours for departmental meetings. When I do I recharge my hearing aids about 5:00 pm to last until midnight.

I thought I would respond to show I get good operating time

I had to find a good practitioner to get my hearing aids set up well. I can hear now!

DaveL

@Stratuscom, that’s pretty much my take. The design of the case for connecting to the charger is a bit sloppy (I think). I try to clean both sets of connections often, which seems to help. I usually get over 12 hours of use. In spite of my best efforts I sometimes open the case in the morning and find one of the aids flashing RED and the other a solid green. I Frequently find one or both aids blinking green. I did whine to Costco who sent my stuff off for repair. Whatever came back from Phonak didn’t work any better than what I set them (could be the same aids or duplicates with the same problem). I like the KS10s, but will be replacing them with the Rexton aids that Costco is currently selling.

I’m not a fan of current rechargeable aids … I don’t think they work well as a backup set. But, that’s today’s technology. I’d like to see aids where you can replace the battery as well as recharge it. It’s been done. Not new tech.

1 Like

Hmmm.

Has anyone changed the case of the ks10 for the phonak ones to see if the problem gets solved?

I was having ongoing problems with charging issues a few months ago, Costco sent aids and case back to Sonova to be replaced. No more problems since then.

2 Likes

I like Costco; however, they don’t carry the latest technology hearing aids. That’s my only negative comment.

But that’s not quite true, they do get the latest ,but sometimes just a few months after they are released.

They have huge clout. Do they specify how the hearing aids are presented and designed? Or has Sonova reduced specs to provide a lower cost hearing aid? Would the Target Pro Report show details?

I worked for 3M…private label tape was identical, except for cores and packaging.

I have had an issue for a couple months now with my KS10’s charging. I put them into the charger overnight and get the correct lights on each telling me they are connected to the charger but when I get up in the morning and go to put them on the Rt aid is Red and the Lt is green. I took my aids to Costco and explained the issues I had been having and they rebooted them for me. This worked for a couple weeks then the same thing happened. I took both the aids and the charger back to Costco for them to check and they sent the aids in to get a good looking at. They actually changed out the innards and after a couple months I now have that same problem again. My Rt aid is sitting in the charger while I wear my left one. I can go without for a little while but my hearing is muffled and I can hardly understand my husband so I really need my aids to both be 100% working. I have cleaned both the charger and the aid charging contacts and still here I sit writing my woes :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!
There are some threads here on the forum about your problem. As an old photographer the first thing I would do is take a pencil with an eraser and clean the contacts on your charger and the hearing aids too. That’s what I used to do with my camera equipment as a pro photographer when my meter quit.

I have similar hearing aids. Phonak Paradise P90R’s. I’ve had to fix them 3 times. I had to reboot them then charge them to use them. I went on line and looked at all the manuals I could find for my hearing aids. Could the real answer to your issue be in the manual for the camera? Or somehow in the Phonak Paradise manuals?

DaveL

I have the Phonak Bolero M90PR aids, with the egg shaped clamshell charger. It would be interesting to know if there is actually anything inside other than a pair of contacts for each aid. The power supply is external, so it’s probably just a pass through with no electronics.

As long as you keep the contacts clean inside the charging holder, and on the hearing aids, it should work fine. I’ve found the hearing aids will occasionally lose their minds and require the 15 second reset just like rebooting a computer or smartphone when it acts up, then all is good again until the next time.

Just the action of closing the clamshell holder can sometimes jar one of the hearing aids loose, and you won’t know about it until the next morning. To counter this, I just leave it open on my nightstand while charging to visually check on them. During the day I keep the holder closed to keep out dust.

1 Like

Thanks! I truly appreciate your response.
@Carla_G
I responded hoping to help. I don’t have COSTCO hearing aids. I’ve followed some of the posts and realize that COSTCO no longer sells the Phonak supplied KS10 hearing aids. I am quite sure they still maintain them as long as you are within the guarantee period. Have you talked to COSTCO?

I hope you solve your problems with your charger. There’s a lot of information in posts here.
I’ve followed this thread because I haven’t enjoyed leaving work to recharge a dead hearing aid when I’ve had to reboot my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90 R’s.