BAD first hearing test

Word rest was a recording, age 75. Hearing has been declining for a number of years, but really became noticible at the start of covid. Vanity or denial led me to self treatment, disable volume limiter on cell, amp apps on cell, phone, surround sound way up on tv, …

Well, your hearing loss certainly is a shock if that’s accurate. Clearly your clinician is also shocked given they had you back to double check.

It’s going to be an interesting journey for you for sure. I look forward to seeing how it goes. But do ask about a cochlear implant assessment.

2 Likes

She called tonight to talk about ear molds. She strongly suggested a silicon full shell with a minimum vent and as long as possible baseb on my canal impressions.

Asked about CI’s and she said “not now” best word recognition she’s seen with the loss i have. This was the same in the first test.

It will be an interesting adventure that on one side want them tomorrow and the other want to just forget tje problem.

1 Like

By the way, i have a 6800-7000hz tinnitus that ts about 70db, barely audiable to me.

That’s the way I see this too. Those word understanding scores both take you out of CI territory. You are very aidable.

I also see you adjusting almost immediately with properly fit hearing aids with those word understanding scores.

Good luck.

2 Likes

I am happy about the word recognition scores but i don’t understand how.
My word recognition scores are worse than my tone test say I should have.

1 Like

I agree Chuck. It doesn’t make since but if it’s all true, chalk it up as a new experience. Maybe be there are some mistakes on the audiogram ??? Don’t know.
I wish him all the luck in the world.

It’s inexplicable that he could hear so well if those thresholds were accurate, so the thresholds i.e. the test results must be wrong.

1 Like

hearing a pure tone is not the same as hearing speech, ask the aud to use a warble tone.

1 Like

Only story I have is that his relatively flat loss was easy to keep all frequencies audible with lots of volume which he accomplished with taking volume limits of cell phone and cranking up the TV. He might adjust quickly but the case is so unusual that for me all bets are off. Agree that with those WRS CI implant eval would be premature. He might actually do ok with one of those simple amplifiers as long as it provided lots of gain.

3 Likes

Warble tone underestimates certain losses because of side band hearing. Audiometry should be done with pure tones or pulsed pure tones unless you’re in the soundfield.

2 Likes

I’m just having trouble believing it. :rofl: He’s a miracle of modern medicine.

But good WRS or no, the hearing is unaidable at high frequencies whereas a CI could return those sounds. The hearing aid trial has to be done regardless, but the CI eval seems worthwhile even if it’s a no for now.

3 Likes

Both test were a pulsed pure tone. Second test was done with the foam inserts and a second time with over the ear headphones. She nevet explaned why, but said they both matched

1 Like

the reality is as follows, hearing aids are aids not miracles, but having said that, my responce to the six month thing is as follows:

Hearing aids are foreign objects to the brain and could take 6 months for your brain to learn the hearing aid language.

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Cochlear implant involves surgery. Consider "Bone Conduction HAs. Your Audiologist may have tested Bone conductivity. They should have knowledge of the technique. You can search yourself and read up on it. I understand there are two types. One involves placing some kind of metal or sound conducting material underneath your skin. The other simply places the hearing aid transducer on the skin directly. Good Luck!

HA’s will be by July 24th. We will see how it goes then.

3 Likes

Just picked up the HA 's. They are the Nadia UP’s. Full shell, unvented silicone ear molds. Kind of feel like ear buds, but a little more comfortable. Current setting is 70%, but the frequency shifting is on from about 1500hz up. Sounds are a little different, but louder than i expected. Everything makes sounds, environmental sounds are something i guess will fade after a while. She did a word test at this level and it was still 90%. She intends on increasing to 80% next week. This is a real once in a lifetime experience that i think will workout in a couple of months.

9 Likes

Everything DOES make sounds. :slight_smile:

That’s a nice way to look at it.

7 Likes

Many of us have been there. I got my first HAs almost three years ago. The first few days it was bizarre to me how things sounded. Your brain will get used to much of it. For at least a year I was continually asking, “What am I hearing now?” because so many things made noises I didn’t recognize. The refrigerator (a new one that makes noises I don’t ever remember a fridge making) and car, bugs, the water running in pipes when someone runs water somewhere. It has been marvelous and frustrating. But I am so glad I went forward in it.

Best wishes!

WH

2 Likes

@Neville Do cases like this make you wonder how well we really understand the human body? I had a couple of experiences in dealing with cardiac patients which made me realize that our understanding was way less than complete and definitely made me humbled.

2 Likes