Bad audiologist? Or common experience?

Simple: Veterans Affairs Canada will not send me to Costco - I have to see an audiologist in private practice.

(I think you’ll discover that the premium version of any of the Big6 makers cost about the same. Oticon is competitive. I “jump to the Porsche Cayman” because it does the job I want it to.)

[What’s a Porsche Cayman?]

You may be surprised to find that many folks on this forum are fortunate enough to get access to Oticon HAs thanks to the VA service, or thanks to insurance coverage that covers HAs, or even a combination of both.

I was fortunate enough to have to pay only $310 (or 5%) of my Oticon OPN 1 $6200 price, and the other 95% was covered through my health insurance since I already satisfied my very high deductible for that year by luck. But my HCP didn’t get the 95% or $5890 from my insurance, they were only willing to pay her $3400 and she still accepted their offer.

And before that, I was a tried and true Costco customer for years (probably bought at least 4 or 5 Costco models over the years).

Some folks on this forum who wear Oticon HAs are also DIY’ers who bought their Oticon HAs from eBay for about half the cost of the boutique HCP, sometimes even less. Of course they take risks in doing so, but they know what they’re doing.

I even know of a forum member who went from Oticon OPN 1 to Costco Philips 9030 to Oticon More 1, back and forth like that.

So unlike what you think, many do graduate from the Accord to the Cayman. Sometimes they even go back to the Accord again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Was the demo you got in-clinic only, or did you get to take them home (I took home my demos for 3 weeks)?

I ask because I have a Samsung Galaxy S20+, and the Bluetooth is horrendous with the Oticon Mores I’m trialing - and I don’t think the problem is unique to me either. iPhone users seems to have better experiences with the pairing. I have to try other HAs first, but it’s close to being a dealbreaker. The Paradise (which are essentially the KS10s from Costco) had no connection issues for me.

(Sorry if we’re getting too far off topic on this thread, but thought it may be noteworthy.)

I think the OPs connectivity with the fitter is as important as the connectivity with the phone, to be honest.

My $0.02

My "demo’ was wearing the top of the line Oticon More for 10 minutes. No take home demo. Not even the lower end Oticons to look at. To try anything further, it seemed I’d have to buy and rely on the return policy.

@scotts: oh boy! Then - speaking as one who has committed many errors along the way to being really happy with where my hearing is today - I definitely think this is the WRONG AUDIOLOGIST for you!

(I wear More1s, BTW.)

Run away, don’t walk…

2 Likes

Agree completely! Definitely more important, even! The bt connectivity issue was just something I brought up for awareness sake, knowing he wasn’t an iPhone user. And even more reason to make sure the audiologist would be willing to work with him on other brands should that also be an issue. But it seems like all signs point to this fit not being right anyway.

1 Like

@jcw11: oh, certainly. My post was intended as a clever way to get everything back on topic! (Pretty crafty for a codger, don’t you think?)

2 Likes

In my case, my health insurance through a state University covers hearing aids but mandates I use a particular service that assigns you to a local provider. That provider recommended Oticon OPN when I was getting new aids. As they connected transparently with the Apple cell phone I had and didn’t require an external device for streaming, I decided to try the recommended aids. At that time, the OPN came in only one level - the OPN later became the OPN 1 and the lower levels of 2 and 3 were added. I’m lucky that my insurance fully covers the (slightly) discounted cost of premium level aids when procured through the mandated service. I liked the way the OPN devices worked for me while at work or in meetings or when home or on walks and hikes and even when commuting on my bicycle. Three years after I got the OPN devices, I replaced them with OPN S 1 and the OPN aids are now my backups. I purchased a ConnectClip and a TV Adapter as those are not covered by my insurance. I find them useful and they work with either set of aids. When it is time to replace the OPN S 1 aids, I will return to the mandated provider to see what might best meet my needs and work transparently with my cell phone.

I didn’t use Costco (or a different provider) as that would have prevented me from using my very nice insurance coverage.

I would likely shoot to kill my current audiologist were it not for the legal prohibitions against such an appropriate act.

1 Like

I enjoy comparing things to cars also.
Your comment about the Jag puts a smile on my face. Same thing for Mercedes and Porsche. They are for those that have money because the reliability is not the best.

As far as getting your feet on the ground about hearing aids Costco is really hard to best.

Your audiologist description is right in line with what so many of us have dealt with. Hopefully this forum will help you learn that this audiologist is not the best for you. Especially at this point in your hearing aid journey.

Good luck

1 Like

All I will say is I agree with the others, Find another AuD or Costco as a first time, not a big investment and you get 180 days to return them if you don’t like them…

Good Luck!!!
Mike

1 Like

This is only my personal experience and others experiences will differ. I see audiologist as service providers and like all service providers some will be more experienced than others. Many will be there purely to make money and linked to selling specific brands. A hearing aid is an expensive investment (for most) and requires a bit of shopping around and questioning.

The audiologist I eventually settled on always gives me the options, including type, brand and model . He often says (to the effect), “well, for an extra $XXX you’ll get a few extra bells and whistles, but whether they are worth it or not is a matter of judgement”.

Good luck

3 Likes

JCW I am so glad you made that Costco comment.

I too am getting my first set of HA and after a couple of attempts and a LOT of reading decided to go all out on the first pair, private audiologist, etc. When this pair needs to be replaced I will have far more experience to rely on as I search for a less expensive option.

It’s good to know that I’m not insane for taking this approach or, if I am insane, at least I’m in good company! :grinning:

My audiologist only deals in Oticons and she loaded up a pair of Mores for me I to try and I liked them a lot in normal conversation and limited walking around. I now use an android phone and not planning on buying another iPhone any time soon and I use a Surface tablet and not an iPad so that kind of ruled them out and she understood. If I was an Apple user I probably would have bought them even though they would be my first HA and cost 6k before any insurance. Instead I just ordered the KS10 which in limited time walking around the store with my wife seemed fine with my phone. We’ll see how they do for real in a couple of weeks when they come in and I have them for some time in the real world. I’ll have 180 days to make up my mind on them which is nice.

1 Like

@msmithv1s: As a first time HA buyer - and this is a straight (vs trick) question - do you feel that you’re disadvantaged buying your first pair from Costco vs from a private audiologist?

[By this, I mean, did Costco’s equipment seem of recent vintage, and in good shape? Did the private audiologist seem better trained or better able to answer your queries than the Costco fitter? Did Costco seem to have less time to spend with you than the private audiologist? Were the devices Costco offered to treat your loss deficient or inferior to those of the private audiologist? Was the Costco fitter receptive to your questions and able to answer them to your satisfaction?]

I’m trying to understand the rationale of the posters maintaining that it’s advantageous to them to see an audiologist for their first pair of aids.What would make it so? What disadvantages would there be for the neophyte who chooses Costco?

You need an audiologist who will work with you, spend time with you and give you all of the options. The Oticon More 1 is an excellent hearing aid, though whether you need that aid or an aid of a lessor quality is something you need to discuss with an audiologist you trust. If you know someone who uses hearing aids in your area, ask them who they use and what process they went through with their aids. It is not like getting a pair of glasses. It takes a while to get used to hearing aids and it may take many adjustments to get them just right for your hearing loss. It really is a cooperative arrangement between you and the audiologist. The hearing aid is only one part of the equation.

I tried Costco and found that though the aids that they sell are fine, that the techs I worked with were found lacking; they didn’t want to take the time and were lacking the skills and background necessary to help me. For simple high frequency hearing loss, they are probably ok, for anything else, I would see a real audiologist.

There are a number of high quality aid manufacturers on the market with good products, but you need a guide to help you make an informed decision, which means that you need to find a different audiologist in your area. By the way, the high end Mores with the services of the audiologist and a three year warranty go for $5400 tops. You should also get a trial period of at least 30 days to determine if you want to keep them. Check with your State to see what is required in Nevada.

I was quoted $6180 for the high end More with only two years of service and warranty in the DC metro area.

Not so far. I only have experience with the one Audi and she was fine but does not carry anything but the Oticons which while great are made for Apple users. The hearing fitter at Costco spent plenty of time with me during that first visit and seemed to listen to what I wanted but we’ll see how it goes when the pair I ordered come in and I wear them for a while. I intend to do some DIY with them after I wear them for a bit and have already purchased the TV connector so hopefully they work out.

1 Like