Audiology Appt update

Hi all. Just wanted to post on here really to let everyone know what happened. So I thought I was getting updated NHS, turns out not. Apparently it should be next year but they are waiting to get funding for it… secondly, she tweaked my hearing aids and explained to me I habe dead regions in my higher frequency so she has moved it over to mid frequency range(?), and also said that I am eligible for cochlear implant referral if I want it. I did politely decline this because I am already getting used to my hearing aids, but she also said I may not even get it any way because my low frequences are good and I was able to pick up her speech without lipreading as well (with my hearing aids in.) A bit bummed about not getting bluetooth hearing aids but it will have to do. I am not sure what she means by dead regions though? Does that mean I will NEVER hear anything in that part without cochlear implants?

2 Likes

I don’t know what Resound call it as but as you describe at the top, she’s moved your highs to your mid range. It can be made stronger.

Highs is where you often have dead zones.

Oticon it’s called Speech Rescue.
Phonak it’s called Sound Recover II.

More chance of hearing ‘dead zones’ by moving highs lower.

1 Like

I am not sure what to think because now I do not hear my washing machine beeping as loud as I did previously, nor my microwave…

Oh then that means you are hearing the highs before and do not have dead zones.

Sounds like the setting isn’t quite right.

Phonak Sound Recover II, I hate. I had to turn it off as felt I couldn’t hear as well.

It might be that highs won’t sound like they did before as they’ve moved then lower but not 100% sure as I’m never sure how I hear.

1 Like

My goodness well that makes sense then! It was very loud (HF sounds). I am having another review in 6 weeks time now she said she will send a letter in the post. I will see how I go but I hope it does not affect speech clarity too much. I do hear much better with earmoulds, though that is for sure.

I am not sure what option that is on Resound… on my app I have noise reduction and speech clarity option.

1 Like

The setting can only be adjusted via the software.

You’ll have to wait out for the 6 weeks if can’t be seen before.

Your ears may actually get used to how it sounds?

Is that before they were adjusted today?

If so, definitely means you don’t have dead zones.

Yes it was! No idea why she said I have dead zone regions then I had no idea what she really means, hence why I came on here. I have turned up the volume so I can hear the washing machine beep louder but everything else is amplified now as well. I think I need to go back… is that why they recommended a CI because I keep getting them tweaked all the time.

Remember on my previous thread I took the test using the app and my HF sounds was mild to moderate. I heard them loud and clear using that test with my hearing aids in. Why dont they do an audiogram with our hearing aids in?

I am not sure what she means by dead regions though? Does that mean I will NEVER hear anything in that part without cochlear implants?

IF those regions are dead, you will never hear those frequencies (barring treatments that restore cochlear hairs) Frequency lowering can shift the higher frequencies down to frequencies you can hear, but there are pluses and minuses. Unsure why you’ve lost the ability to hear certain sounds. Seems likely related to the adjustments she made.

I replaced my hearing aid batteries this morning and half hour ago my right hearing aid just stopped working. Did not even get a warning sign to say it was low on battery! I changed it and now it works. How did the battery die that quickly? The used by date is 2025 so nothing to do with that.

I watch the TV show from England called “Dr Martin” this week he had a patient that was hard of hearing and he showed the guy that is balance was bad as well and told the guy that some hearing issues relate to loss of balance. He told the guy he had a infection and inflammation on the inside of the eardrum and that surgery would fix that…
I have a growth on the inside of my ear that the ENT found with a ct scan. The doctor said it is too small to remove without doing more damage than good. Great doctor so ask questions after your hearing test to get advice. The show did not say how the doctor determined that the guy had an infection.

I’m not sure if any of this might be helpful to read I’m not to familiar with implant information.