Apple announced Hearing Aid functionality in AirPod Pros 2 with clinical Tone testing

AirPods Pro 2 - Hearing Health - Apple (edit in new link)

Additionally the hearing profile will float to all your attached devices automatically without having to do additional setting changes per device. So your iPad will ‘just work’ etc with the Hearing Aid function from your iPhone settings.

Admin note: Added link to our coverage from Karl Strom.

5 Likes

I am so excited about Apple entering the HA market!

4 Likes

I have been waiting for this for a while. Super happy to see this! I am sure that whenever Airpod Pro 3 launch they’ll do even better, however rolling this out to the existing product line is a huge plus.

So cheap to access, excellent streaming sound across every frequency without that dreaded occlusion sense thanks to the onboard processing in Transparency – easy phone calls that are appropriately amplified – this is exciting stuff.

2 Likes

I’m mainly excited because it’s bound to disrupt the quite stagnant [in my opinion] hearing devices market.

6 Likes

“clinical-grade” I’d take that with a pinch of salt, maybe a bit of marketing hype there ; )

8 Likes

They do work with massive amounts of data. Honestly while Widex and Oticon are doing work, they aren’t getting 100,000+ people involved.

" The Apple Hearing Study is sharing new insights on tinnitus in one of the largest surveys to date.

Through the study, University of Michigan researchers reviewed a cohort of more than 160,000 participants who answered survey questions and completed app-based assessments to characterize their experience of tinnitus. This research aims to improve understanding of tinnitus characteristics and inform future research on potential treatments."

I’m forecasting Tinnitus treatment within 2 years.

1 Like

While Apple is know for its hype-driven buzzwordy marketing, they’ve been very careful about their medical related stuff. I’m not sure what is “clinical” supposed to mean in this context though.
And I’d love to see the extent to which they can be fit.

1 Like

I see the air pods as an alternative for people that have mild to moderate hearing loss. But what about the ones of us that have severe to profound loss, and what about the ones of us that wear our aids continuous for 16 our more hours a day. The last I heard the air pods only had about a 4 to 6 hours of battery life. And I guess they are great for Apple fans, but I don’t see myself going back to apple products anytime soon.

4 Likes

You have to take into account that some folks, even with severe to profound loses cannot afford proper hearing devices [not that air pods are particularly cheap]. So it will definitely fill that gap [for better or worse].

But to your another point, I agree, I cannot imagine wearing them for hours.

2 Likes

Yes that was my point also, we’ll have to wait and see.

Yes and this is why we do have clinical/prescription HAs for severe/profound losses.

4 Likes

Some people have fit issues with Air Pod Pro 2. This may not work well for those users. But this should put some downward price pressure at least for the OTC market despite battery life limitations.

1 Like

Yes agreed, I think the OTC market is way overpriced.

2 Likes

Additional thought, tenkan – if you find that OTC hearing aids you can order from Lively or Bose are ‘clinical’ in their self-administered hearing tests, then you have to give Apple that same nod. It’s not exactly rocket science to create a hearing test app - there are dozens on the App store already. When you know the exact frequencies your device can output (ideally, of course, same as a Bose hearing aid has a frequency response range) it’s easy enough to administer a test, and use the on board microphone of either the AirPods or the phone to check it’s actually quiet in the room.

2 Likes

New information added to top post https://www.apple.com/airpods-pro/hearing-health/

Looks like the test range is from 250 all the way to 8kHz!

The support page is yet to be up but looks like a limited rollout for now? Only North America.

Interested to see how they integrate it all for people who have single sided loss (maybe introduce a BiCROS functions) and people who have a cochlear implant on one side (streaming to both would be a god-send, is that already possible?)

From the footnotes:

1. The Hearing Protection feature works with AirPods Pro 2 with the latest firmware when paired with a compatible iPhone, iPad, or Mac running the latest operating system software. The feature will be available in the U.S. and Canada. See support.apple.com/120850 for total attenuation and more information.
  2. The Hearing Test and Hearing Aid features are expected to be available fall 2024. The Hearing Aid feature is pending marketing authorization from global health authorities. The Hearing Test and Hearing Aid features will be supported on AirPods Pro 2 with the latest firmware paired with a compatible iPhone or iPad with iOS 18 or iPadOS 18 and later, and are intended for people 18 years or older. The Hearing Aid feature is intended for people with perceived mild to moderate hearing loss.
1 Like

Actually I don’t believe they can be considered “clinical” either, but they do work well for those in the mild moderate losses that are not challenging, but for severe/profound it’s another thing all together which of course OTC doesn’t deliver.

1 Like

Agreed, of course. FDA doesn’t permit fitting for severe or profound for any OTC product.

3 Likes

Oh sneaky - they added

" Background Sounds play calming sounds — like the ocean or rain — to mask unwanted environmental noise."

AKA tinnitus treatment without calling it tinnitus treatment.

Edit: you know – that is already there, and I just didn’t notice they added it.
I turned it on – it’s very much like every other app that does this, but via the iOS. Hello soft ocean waves.

more edit: but nicer because battery saving / auto turn off on phone sleep can be bypassed if it’s run at the iOS level.

1 Like

This should make hearing aids much more acceptable to the young, whom are well used to charging their stuff multiple times a day.

true, but that doesn’t mean they don’t work. Check my audiogram, OTC aids like Bose and Sony work as well for me as $6000 Rx aids

1 Like