App to reboot hearing aids?

Hi,
Does anyone know of an app that will reboot HAs on demand? My Widex Moment devices lose connectivity to my iPhone 13, and the only fix is to reboot the HAs by opening & closing the battery door. If there was an app to trigger the reboot, that would be great. The Widex app can’t do that.

FWIW, when I walk through the automatic doors into my local Target store, my aids with spontaneously reboot, so I feel like there should be a way to trigger that myself.

Thanks!

1 Like

Try turning off Bluetooth for more than two minutes via the iPhone Control Center (swipe down from the right top side of a screen - was confusing Apple Watch GUI with iPhone GUI!). GN Resound Omnia Bluetooth issues - #24 by jim_lewis

A reboot function in hearing aid apps isn’t a bad idea. But it won’t help in the case you’re asking about. How will the app tell the aids to reboot if they’ve lost connectivity to the phone?

2 Likes

Good point! Thanks for helping me think about it more logically.

Thanks for the suggestion - but no luck?

1 Like

Have you tried completely closing or killing the app and re-launching it?

2 Likes

Yes, good suggestion, but it didn’t help.

1 Like

You might try resetting bluetooth settings but I guess you already did

1 Like

More convenient that taking them off and opening the battery door, long press on the button shuts them off, and same for on again.

My phone loses contact with the HA when I am streaming. Put another way, everything seems to work OK then suddenly I notice that the audio is no longer streaming to the aid.
Mine are rechargeable but powering off and restarting works the same was as you opening the battery compartment. My aids are Phonak so you are not alone.

Thanks for the suggestion - long press on the button doesn’t do anything on the Widex Moments.

1 Like

Hmm, that’s odd. A 3 second press turns my Moments off, and on again.

1 Like

Button on Widex Moments (I assume there is only 1 button).
The audiologist setting up the Moment has the option to specify what short and long presses on the button does.
The standard setup seems to be - long press turns the individual HA on or off, short press on left HA reduces volume, short press on right HA increases volume.
Maybe in setup the long press on the button was set to do nothing?

2 Likes

That so interesting! Short presses on either HA cycles through the various programs: Universal, Music, Transport, Party, Comfort, Universal… I’ll check with my Audi, to see what the options are. Widex Moment 440

1 Like

I have a Jabra from Costco…almost daily I have to pair up my hearing aides…go through…in the box…out the box…good 10 minutes…they say it’s not suppose to do that…the hearing aides also takes turn not working…is that normal for apps/ hearings aides to get set off like that?

I have the same Costco aids and don’t have this issue. I am pairing to an iPhone 11, I understand your phone may affect how the aids pair to the app

Thanks for that information.

I am using an android! Everyday is a guessing game!

1 Like

Just to remind everyone again that pairing is different from connecting. You should only need to pair your hearing aids to your phone once. It’s kind of introducing your hearing aids to your phone for the first time.

After that the issue is almost always that the connection between phone and one or more hearing aids is lost. So you have to make them reconnect to each other, for example by turning your hearing aids off and on again. But you don’t need to unpair and pair them again.

This is important because your hearing aids losing pairing and losing connection are two different problems with different solutions.

1 Like

This will depend on the manufacturer there is no standard “reboot hearing aid” command that you can send through bluetooth to any hearing aid. Some bluetooth chips might have a “warm reboot” (that means reset the chip without cutting off its power; removing it’s battery and putting it back in would be a cold reboot) feature, which a manufacturer may or may not have allowed it’s consumers to invoke through a bluetooth command. If they have, then it might be possible to reboot it on demand. If not, then we’re out of luck. And there’s always the problem mentioned by @x475aws that there’s nothing we can do if the BT connectivity is lost in the first place