Anyone experience hearing loss after Covid vaccination?

After having cochlear implants, I can not imagine the Covid vaccine stunting my hearing. I guess it could but it would be a interesting subject.

Getting my second Moderna shot in two days. The first shot maybe made me a little tired a couple days after the shot and maybe a sore back like flu for a day. Otherwise no issues.

2 Likes

It’s not just a decision that affects one individual’s health at no cost to society. It’s a decision that potentially affects the health of others and can potentially run up a huge medical bill for yourself and anyone else you pass the virus along to, e.g., younger healthcare workers in a hospital or nursing home. For the same reasons we have seat belts laws and now regulations about smoking in most indoor places, there ought to be considerable inducements to get vaccinated, i.e., a vaccination card becomes a passport to normal social activity, just like kids can’t attend school if they haven’t been vaccinated against childhood diseases (or should we repeal those laws, too?-what’s the big deal about measles, hardly any kid ever dies of it …).

1 Like

Sorry, I’m one of those evil people whose concern about benefit to society stops far short of getting any vaccine with side effects that worry me (such as if I thought the Covid vaccine could adversely affect my already crummy hearing). I got the vaccine because of its benefits to me, not you and not society in general, and if I had the energy, I’d do what’s necessary right now to pack up and move to one of the free states such as South Dakota.

1 Like

Anihan, to answer your question - both to protect myself and to protect others.

I do quite a few things for the good of society. Why? I want to live in a civilized society, so I feel I should act civilized.

In the end, I guess that’s selfish.

3 Likes

Update: I got the second physor shot 3 weeks ago. Only a bit tired the next day. About a week later I got an infection in my right ear. I see no connection nor did the ent. If it was related why only in the right ear? The shot was in the left arm.

Stuff happens but I want to know why it always happens to me.

There’s some early suggestion that covid causes hearing loss in ~15% of symptomatic individuals. So, pick your poison.

I got my first pfizer shot a few weeks ago with no symptoms but mild soreness at the injection site, honestly it was one of the least painful vaccinations I’ve ever had. I won’t get my second dose for 4 months, according to protocol changes that I heartily approve of. I feel pretty jazzed to have gotten one of the mRNA vaccines, although I would have taken whatever was offered–the future applications of the mRNA stuff are pretty exciting. Yay science.

6 Likes

I got my second Moderna Covid vaccine yesterday.
The shot location is a bit sore. Didn’t sleep well, mild flu like symptoms.

I did wake up totally deaf. Oh yeah, had to put my processors on.:kissing_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

So Canada (or perhaps your Province) is delaying second injection to get more people their first injection? Volunteered giving injections this week and anecdotally most people had pretty mild reactions.

3 Likes

HAHAHAHA that made me laugh this morning.

1 Like

Yes, vaccinate more people, try to get ahead of the variants. I wish vaccination were going more quickly. We’re not even at 2% of the population yet.

1 Like

Reading the local news paper this morning shows the state of Texas at over 30% of residents 16 years old and older have received their first Covid vaccine. The place I got my shot at yesterday said they administered over 500 vaccines yesterday. This is not a highly populated county.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re really short on vaccine. In California over 30% have gotten at least one shot and ~15% are fully vaccinated. Still a long ways to go.

1 Like

I think it’s less a vaccine shortage and more poor management of vaccine roll-out in our province? We started much later than you and, for some reason, closed the vaccine program over the christmas break? The people chosen to run the vaccine program were, weirdly, not the people whose job it normally is to run vaccine programs. British Colombia, on the other hand, has given out three times as many vaccines with 1/3rd the population of Ontario.

We seem to be doing about 85,000 vaccines a day now, which would mean another 6 months for everyone in the province to be vaccinated once if we don’t speed up (although everyone in long term care has already gotten both of their doses, I think). I suppose that meets our Prime Minister’s promise of everyone vaccinated by September so long as you don’t assume he meant FULLY vaccinated. Not that everyone will take it, anyway.

2 Likes

It’s definitely a vaccine shortage here in Aus, with the EU blocking our ordered supply and refusing to send any. The supply we do have the Federal Gov purchases. Then issues to the State Gov to do the roll out. The Fed Gov blames the states for not rolling the vaccine out quick enough, then the state gov yell back at the Feds saying we don’t have any to roll out. It’s a circus down here when you listen to our governments bickering over the vaccine roll out.

Even though we have been promised 1 million doses a week from AstraZenica, the circus between our governments goes on and on…

This happened last Thursday, a 90 yr onl man hobbles down the road on his Zimmer frame for 1 km to a vaccination centre. He asks for the vaccination only to be told he has to book an appointment online. He tells them he doesn’t have a computer and doesn’t know how to use one even. He got told to go home and get someone to help him book online. So this poor gentleman had to push his. Zimmer frame all the way back home. No compassion at all from the vaccination facility.

1 Like

:cry::face_with_monocle::crazy_face:must have 20 characters

1 Like

I am one of those rare people who did develop SSNHL after the COVID vaccine. It began the morning after my 2nd Moderna shot and within 3 days I had diagnosed SSNHL with 30-50db Loss. After a week on prednisone I had recovered functional hearing but I still have loss above 6k and it was replaced with high frequency tinnitus. My doctor co-wrote the CPG for SSNHL and says he has been seeing more of these cases following vaccination but it’s too early to tell if this is abnormal for the population. I completely agree the health risks of COVID outweigh the risks of the vaccine, but it’s disheartening to see this community attacking people who are concerned about losing hearing. You certainly wouldn’t be upset if someone with a history of anaphylactic reactions didn’t take the vaccine. Virus & immune response have long been a suspected etiology for hearing loss, and UK doctors have documented how 5-15% of COVID infections have reduced hearing, and the UK officially lists hearing loss as a symptom of COVID. I’m quite certain that the US will eventually also identify hearing loss & tinnitus as a symptom. What I do know from both personal experience & reading hundreds of reports from people who have developed SSNHL or Tinnitus following vaccines (Tinnitus reports grow amid COVID-19 vaccinations - Drug Discovery and Development) is that doctors are not willing to report these cases, so it’s making it much tougher to identify if this is really a problem or not. I’ve started a Facebook page “COVID Hearing Loss & Tinnitus” to help those affected. COVID Hearing Loss & Tinnitus. In a year or two I’m sure there will be enough evidence based on treatment statistics but until then know that this is happening and it’s not some anti-vaxxer conspiracy.

4 Likes

I have friends that have had hearing loss after the virus and also issues with vision. I had the vaccine back in January and February along with my wife and about 2000 residents here in this community and haven’t heard anything of any major issues. I will be getting my annual hearing test in the middle of May. I have had a few flair ups with my iPhone tinnitus since my last hearing test, and one major one this last week. I haven’t noticed any hearing loss increases

I heard the other day of a man who was hospitalized after his 2d shot and was at death’s door for a while, although he did recover. His brother has decided not to get the vaccine, and in his shoes, I’d do the same. Everyone should realize that there’s always some risk with vaccines; I also know of someone who had Guillain-Barre after a flu shot. We all get to weigh our individual risk vs. reward with all these shots. Of course it helps if accurate and honest data is available to us.

1 Like

People’s minds are made up, on both sides.

I’ll revise that in respect of the 30 people from 18 million who have died due to certain types of Thrombosis following the AZ initial jab. This is only vey slightly larger than the amount who would have died from Thrombosis in this cohort anyway, and given the widespread community use of the AZ vaccine, might be due to the lower level selection bias over the Pfizer one which is given in larger centres with cold-chain access.

Or to put it more bluntly the people who have received the AZ are less likely to be mobile, may have been administered by visiting doctors and or living in managed care facilities which is having a bias on the likelihood of death irrespective of their actual age.

Correlation and causation are not the same thing etc.

3 Likes