Anyone else tried direct bluetooth streaming with Android "Q" OS Beta

My take is that if you’ve found something that works, don’t go looking for a “better” solution unless you really like playing around with tweaking stuff.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I do… :grin:

Great! Then it’s not a problem unless you get frustrated by things “not working.”

I used to be strictly an Android user. Then I got the iPhone 7 and never look back. It just works well without glitching like on my two Android phones. The Cochlear app just works better in more WiFi environments on the iPhone. The Cochlear app requires web access in order to pair and sometimes looses the pairing information and had to sign off and back again. Never had to do this with the iPhone.

1 Like

Which one specifically?

This one: GN Hearing first to support direct Android streaming using ASHA Scroll down to bottom of post to asterisk. It mentions requiring Bluetooth 5.0 and Android 10

Not sure if this will show:

Someone asked Oticon if their OPN’s would stream from the new Android. Their answer was no.

2 Likes

That doesn’t say anything about whether they will support it in the future and how long it will take.

Response from my audi this morning:
“…excited to hear that androids will be able to direct stream with Bluetooth. We knew it was coming but did not know when it would actually happen. I am going to a conference next weekend in Orlando and will talk to my Oticon rep. Ill get back to you after next weekend.”

This was in reply to my question as to whether Opn 1s would be updated to support direct streaming.

1 Like

Aggie,
Please let us know here as soon as you get some news. I have everything almost brand new… Pixel 3 & OPN1. I don’t want to purchase an extra steamer device hanging around my neck. I’d only like to have calls and podcasts on my OPN1s as I’m assuming the sound quality of music would be lacking bass… fidelity.

Response from my audiologist a few minutes ago.
“…I spoke with a rep from Oticon and they said they have no official date for being compatible with android phones but when they are compatible, it will just require an update to your hearing aids. He was aware of the article you sent and said that Oticon is working on it, but no official word has been made as of yet😊
Let me know if you have any more questions!”

I wrote back and asked for confirmation that he said that OPNs will be made compatible. /cynic mode

EDIT: And her response was:

“Yes, they said that if the android is compatible with Bluetooth for hearing aids, they will have an update for the OPN instruments. I am going to a conference this weekend so Ill confirm this information and see if I can get any more info😊”

Incidentally, does anyone know if Opns are still being actively marketed or is it now all Opn S?

3 Likes

Good news! It’s too bad that they don’t have an estimated date, even if it’s guaranteed that it’s 100% likely that they will blow past said deadline.

Yes, considering how long it took them to finally release ConnectClip, it could take awhile.

let’s see…

OP @jtoxx streamed the Beta on both Pixel 2xl & Pixel 3xl phones to OPN 1 aids
Streaming disappeared after Beta 3

Google said at release of Android Q that they were starting with streaming on Pixel 3 & 3xl, and that other hardware would follow.

If direct streaming worked in the early betas, I’m not sure why OPN would need to release firmware for streaming to work?

I suppose I could downgrade from production Android Q to the third Beta, but who knows what instability that might expose elsewhere on the phone.

fwiw, I’ll replace my Pixel 2 with a 5g phone in the next 6 months: direct streaming will be a ‘must have’ for any new phone. Since Apple haven’t yet released a 5G phone, it’ll likely be an Android.

Will

I think there’s every indication that OP was trolling us. He hasn’t posted on the forum since April.

2 Likes

I think he got fed up with people asking him to explain stuff he’d already explained before… There’s plenty in other forums to confirm that up until beta3 you could stream directly into pixel phones.

Could you supply a reference?

Thought this may be of interest. I got in touch with Oticon asking them if they would be updating the Opn S firmware for Android’s ‘ASHA’. Here’s their reply. Sounds like good news to me!
“Oticon is in close collaboration with Google and will be able to offer direct streaming to Android phones in the near term. This way Oticon’s users will be able to enjoy the benefits of direct streaming to Android phones as the ASHA protocol becomes available in Android based smartphones. As of right now ASHA supported smartphones are limited to a few models globally and until we get closer to a full collaboration this is unfortunately all I can disclose. I hope it somewhat answers your question.”

2 Likes

That’s a much more encouraging response from Oticon than I got from Signia:
" thank you for contacting us.

While we can’t comment or speculate on future product innovations, rest assured that our Signia customers will be among the first to know about them.

We hope this information is helpful. Thank you again for visiting our website and your interest in our products."

1 Like

FWIW: Samsung has just released the Android 10 Beta 1 for the Galaxy S10 and S10+. It does include the functionality that the Pixel 3/4 have for ASHA. Settings / Accessibility: there is an option for hearing aids / Pair new device.

1 Like