Anyone else tried direct bluetooth streaming with Android "Q" OS Beta

I have been using Android Q beta on my Pixel phone and using bluetooth to connect to my OPN 1’s.
I have found this Beta version completely stable and the connection reliable. I have streamed audio from an LG Television, a Windows computer, a Pixelbook laptop and my (aftermarket) Android car radio/navigation system. Streaming in the car has been especially useful in eliminating road noise. I haven’t found a single problem with the Beta “Q”. I certainly haven’t use all the apps possible or all circumstances but in regular usage it’s been 100%. There are some problems reported on Reddit but I have not had any of them and there are always problems listed there for EVERYTHING that exists…

5 Likes

Since I follow this closely, have a Pixel 2 XL, and am an RC on XDA, I think the only two hearing aids currently available are the Phonak Marvel and the ReSound Quattro. And maybe the older Phonak Brio (?).

Since I am just 8 months with my new hearing aids (Costco ReSound Forte 8 = ReSound LINX 3D) no way I can afford to get new ones this soon. I need to be patient for at least a year, or likely two.

Still, I would really hope this works now. I might sell a kidney to get some Marvels… :roll_eyes:

Is this with no connect clip interface?

In theory, yes. In reality, ???

jtoxx stated they were already able to stream with an OPN 1 on the Android Q beta. Can you make calls without a Connect Clip interface currently?

Yes, Calls can be made without the Connectclip. This can only be done on the Android Q beta operating system. The beta, at the moment, can only be installed on a Pixel phone. Should have the release version of Q before too long. It will depend if the maker of other brand phones updates the OS to “Q” and if your Android phone has the hardware to support the streaming capability and if your carrier gets around to issuing the update. You can usually Google “Will my Samsung S7 on AT&T be updated to Android Q”,or whatever. Google does not update phone operating systems directly, except to their own phones, Pixel’s. Updates for other brands must first come from the maker of the phone and then be supplied thru your carrier, ATT, T Mobile etc. If your carrier and the phone maker does not plan to update the software it is sometimes possible to “Root” a phone an install a custom ROM that will include a later version of Android. Certainly no guarantee that that will happen or even be possible in all cases. A third party developer would have to write a custom ROM containing the update. Rooting a phone carries some downsides and would not advisable for most users. Most makes of phones are only updated for a year or two and even then usually only the flagship models. Pixels are guaranteed, by Google, to receive updates for at least 3 years and they receive updates directly from GOOGLE - before any other phones. Some makers and carriers can take years to issue a software update, if ever.There is some confusion about why phones are not updated to later versions of Android, Google (Android) does not update them. Both the manufacturer and your carrier are to blame. In some cases your older phone could not run a later version of Android or use all of its features, it does not have the hardware necessary. And they do like to sell new phones. There is little information at this time as to which phones will be updated to Android Q. You can check your carrier’s website but don’t hold your breath. They have already sold the phones and it costs quite a lot to do updates and they are hesitant to commit, unless the competition does!

2 Likes

Is this on a Pixel, or a Pixel 2 or 3? Also does it specify which hearing aids it’s compatible with? OpnS is a big surprise.

All three version of Pixel can install Q Beta

This link to sign up and install. It will show eligible devices when you sign in on your Google account. You sign up and you phone will then be able to download and install.
Settings> check for updates. The update will show as available just click to download and install, usually shows up in a few minutes but could take longer.

https://www.google.com/android/beta

Just in case anyone is tempted to run out and buy a used (or new) Pixel, I read somewhere that Google is ceasing to produce the Pixel 2 because of reliability issues (and I’ve also heard people complain about Pixel 3 problems - Paul Thurrott of thurrott.com for one, I recall). So the features of Pixel, especially the camera (and now the HA and Android update support) are great, there are some downsides -advice from a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 user who’s not likely to get Android Q <<<sob!, :cry: sob!, :cry:>>>

Which Pixel phone are you using? I’m confused regarding streaming. Are your computer and TV streaming directly to your aids? I don’t see how the new OS could do that.

I currently have a Note 9 and it supposedly will be updated to Q. I have zero problem rooting and loading myself once it’s available on XDA

Jim, the Pixel 2 was discontinued when the Pixel 3 came out. They only make 1 version at a time. Just comes in 2 sizes regular and XL. It’s reliability has nothing to do with it. There are numerous complaints about any phone ever made. My company currently has 47 phones in use. All Pixel 2’s and 3’s. We have used virtually every make of phone over the years. None have been as reliable as the Pixel’s or the Nexus ones that preceded them. I don’t think any of our people would want to change to another phone. I know I would not and I have had them all. I also have an iPhone 10 in my desk that I never use. If I said we were moving back to Samsung Notes we might have a mutiny. Our phones connect to our AirCel aircraft communications systems in planes where reliability is paramount. I don’t know of a single failure except a couple of phones dropped with broken screens. Those were easily repaired using genuine OEM parts which are not always available for other phones. You can read about anything on the internet these days and customer reviews are almost worthless because of fake reviews and reviews from people who review items they don’t even have - along with no life. It is a problem Amazon hasn’t been able to solve. You can buy bad reviews about your competitors products from several companies that is their only business. Positive reviews are also available from the same people! I certainly wouldn’t be buying $1,000 phones that had problems.

4 Likes

There are numerous articles like this stating that the sales of Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL have just been discontinued as of ~4/1-4/2/19. Many of the articles mention that although the Pixel was hailed for its innovation when it first came out, it has been plagued with reliability issues. Paul Thurrott of thurrott.com has has owned the Pixel 2 and 3 and has had problems with both. I am not attacking the Pixel line - I think it’s great that Google offers such a device - I am just summarizing the essence of what I’ve read online and heard in podcasts.

Quote from one article:

"The decision to discontinue the Pixel 2 lineup is hardly surprising. While the phones, first released in October 2017, were lauded for their at the time unrivalled camera tech, they were also beset with issues from the get-go; the Pixel 2 XL’s OLED screen was criticised for a lack of definition at angles, screen-burn and a weird blue hue, with users also complaining about a mixture of high-pitched noises and clicks coming from the smartphone. "

Lot of similar articles dated 4/1-4/2/19 can be found by searching the Internet on “Google discontinues pixel 2”

Is this with Opn (2016/2017) from 3 years ago, not new the Opn S (2019)? I am getting confused because there are 2 different models of Opn.

Thinking about this more, I think I misinterpreted. I think the OP is saying he uses his phone to interact with his hearing aids via his app. If there were really direct streaming from any Android phone, even in beta, Oticon would have let us know about this.

I looked in pixel 1/2/3 source. there is support for hearing aid direct streaming but only on Android Q.

Pixel 3 codenamed “crosshatch”: bluetooth_hearing_aid_audio_policy_configuration.xml - device/google/crosshatch - Git at Google

Yes - there is direct streaming from a Pixel phone to hearing aids running the Android Q Beta software. Works on OPN 1 as I use it daily. It requires no APP to do so. You pair your phone to a device, TV, Radio, Phone, or whatever that has Bluetooth audio streaming and the audio can be heard in the Aids, No Oticon App is used or needed, Other phones ?? The Beta Android Q software only runs on Pixels as far as I can tell. If you go to the link in an above post and login with your Google account and password it will show you any devices you have on that account that can download the Android Q beta software. That software contains the new DIRECT STREAMING option that works on Pixel phones. Likely the public release version of Android Q will run on other Android phones. If your Android phone is going to receive the Q update it should have the Hearing Aid streaming option capability, Do other brand Android phones have the streaming ability required… no idea… The hearing aid option is located in the SETTINGS >Accessibility> HEARING AIDS. It will say no hearing aids connected. If Bluetooth is turned on and you click Pair New Device. Put the OPN aids in Bluetooth discovery mode by opening and closing the battery doors and place them close to the phone. You will see in Available devices 2 new devices listed, Mine lists the aids as JOHN and JOHN. Anyway works for me.

1 Like

Just to be clear…I can pair my aids to my phone even before PIE but they do nothing without the ON app and a connect clip. Please confirm that you are not using a connect clip now with the Pixel 3 ?

How do you answer calls? Via phone and its synched to the aids? Do you need the phone mic to correspond or are the aids acting as microphones as the Phonak M 90 aids do?

Thanks. Impressive. Some specific questions: 1) What Pixel phone are you using? I know the beta is compatible with all Pixels but is there any documentation or evidence that that this hearing aid feature would work with all Pixels? 2) Is there any documentation about which hearing aids this would support? This is great news but I would warn everybody that considering all the issues there ahve been with streaming, even in well developed platforms, there will be issues with this and they will take awhile to iron out.

1 Like

That’s kind of huge and totally unexpected. Can you confirm again that you’re using the original OPN 1 and not the new ‘S’?

So, apart from other improvements, Google have implemented A2DP sink functionality. That would be a first for a mobile phone afaik. Is it just hearing aids or can you do the same thing with headphones?

1 Like