Anyone else tried direct bluetooth streaming with Android "Q" OS Beta

And here’s further confirmation > Android 10 supports direct Bluetooth LE streaming to hearing aids

Goood article there. Well, I’m also an OF that is an RC. Seems to be many of us fit that category.

Hello. I updated my pixel 2 to android 10, but haven’t been able to find the hearing aid options in the accessibility menu.

Anybody has better luck? Or should I get a new phone?

Currently only works in 3 and 3a series.

I’m not surprised to hear that pixel 2 is not supported at all. Like I said compaies who upgrade older phone don’'t put a lot of resources to make sure that phone are asha compatible

Is there a technical reason why?

No clue. Minimum requirements are Android 10 and BT5 which the 2 and 2XL meet. However, the initial claim for compatibility is 3, 3XL, 3A, and 3A XL. It’s possible that the 2 will become compatible later on?

Nope, i doubt pixel 2 will be supported ever due to bluetooth firmware limitation or major hardware bug on the pixel 2 hardware. Bluetooth hardware itself is very fragile, it breaks very easily even in normal conditions, requiring a reboot if it breaks completely. Google probably gave up on Pixel 2 ASHA due to bugs weren’t fixed by the Android 10 release date.

1 Like

I completed my analysis of the Pixel 1 and Pixel 2 source code: They have been using 2 config to support low and high power consumption bluetooth audio hal There is a config option to disable audio hal and do it the legacy way but that require rooting the device or running an engineering build of Android

1. (default) audio_policy_configuration.xml (this has no ASHA support, Lower power consumption on the phone) Using BluetoothAudio HAL
  2. audio_policy_configuration_bluetooth_legacy_hal.xml (this has ASHA support but higher power consumption) No BluetoothAudio HAL nor A2DP offload

Lets assume you are running an Engineering build of android

adb root
adb remount
adb shell mv /vendor/etc/audio_policy_configuration.xml /vendor/etc/audio_policy_configuration_old.xml
adb shell cp /vendor/etc/audio_policy_configuration_bluetooth_legacy_hal.xml /vendor/etc/audio_policy_configuration.xml
adb reboot

Background: I’m a Software Engineer with specialization in Android OS

3 Likes

Final System Update to Android 10 on the Pixel 3a, updates for the hearing aids and the Smart 3D app installed. GN support advised to add once again the hearingaids to the Smart 3D app.
Listening now to a podcast over my Lynx Quattro HA’s streamed directly from my phone! Extra functions in the app.
Happy :smile:

2 Likes

You are from europe?

Definitley unclear on what your post is saying. I think you’re saying that if one rooted a Pixel 2 and reconfigured to run legacy bluetooth that one might make it work, (but there it wold likely be glitches and it definitely wouldn’t be LE)

Secondly, since you’re a software engineer with Android experience, is there somewhere in the ASHA specs where it states what optional BT 5 features (if any) it needs? Specifically I’m talking: LE 2M, LE Coded and Extended Advertising (also if there is a minimum size for the Advertising)

Thanks!

@MDB Yes, that’s what i’m saying, i’m pretty sure the minimum requirement is bluetooth 4.2, not 5.0…
From ASHA specification…

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I thought to, but then from this: GN Hearing first to support direct Android streaming using ASHA

there’s this quote near the end: Full streaming compatibility with Android devices requires minimum Android version 10 and Bluetooth 5.0 and that functionality has been enabled by the phone manufacturer and service carrier.

@MDB That means in engineering standpoint, they only had a bluetooth 5 chip on hand during prototyping, development and testing phase. In Android 10, most devices are using 5.0 chipset, it is simple to say 5.0 rather than a complex support matrix… 5.0 has less hardware and firmware bugs because each iteration of bluetooth hardware and firmware keep improving

2 Likes

Yes, the Netherlands.

Just updated to 10 with 3XL. Oticon Opn1s can be paired in the Accessibility menu and appear as connected devices on the settings screen when on and in range. But as expected there is no streaming support. Each aid is shown as paired with its MAC address. But the “connect” button does nothing; does not result in an “active” state. So I wonder if Oticon will update firmware for Opn1s to support streaming?

That is the $64,000 question that each of us has for our respective HA manufacturers. Are you listening, Signia?

Same here. Brand new Pixel 3 (purchased July 2019), new OPN 1 hearing aids (purchased Oct 2018), new update last night to Android Q/10. I’ve got both hearing aids paired and showing in my Android settings, I’m seeing them in my Oticon app, but no thrilling stream connect.
Hope this gets fixed as I was really looking forward to this freedom.

I updated my Pixel 3 XL to android 10 yesterday and has similar results. My Resound Quattro aids can show up as a Bluetooth device, but cannot connect to them. I reached out to resound customer support email and got the response from Resound “Now that Android 10 is officially released, ReSound is doing some final testing and the firmware update for the Quattro hearing aids will be release soon. We do not have an exact time or day.”

So for the Quattro, we are still waiting for a new firmware release before streaming is activated at the hearing aid device level.

3 Likes