Anyone can connect to my Resound One Bluetooth?

Hi all,
My daughter got a new phone and was at my house setting it up. As she was setting up her bluetooth she connected to my aids with zero input from me or my aids. She played youtube and i was the hearing it thru my aids, and her phone call rang into my aids. I asked my wife to try that on her phone and she connected to my aids. So, how does one keep others from connecting to the bt on our aids? Mine are Resound One 9’s.
Any help on how to secure these so others cant connect to my aids would be most appreciated. And i really am blown away that there is zero security at default. Oh, do other brands allow this? Tnx

1 Like

I’m guessing that’s pretty standard. Although invasive to you, it would be sharing info from the person connecting to your aids so I can’t imagine why they’d want to. Connected world does make things confusing.

1 Like

Yipes! Never thought about that one … but it makes sense as all you need to do is have BT turned ON, and then it will search for “Available” devices in the area to connect to.

On my Lumity Life aids, I can manually turn “Calls” and “Audio” on or off, so that would impact someone streaming sound to my aids - but only if I know they’re trying to hijack them.

Since most of us who wear aids have BT turned ON all day, it seems that we should have control over another person’s phone with BT finding our aids in the list of “Available” devices. Granted, they can’t hear the calls WE’RE making, but they can SEND audio to our aids if we have our aids paired + connected on THEIR device.

1 Like

Not with the Oticon aids, the window to pair a set of Oticon aids or even the connect clip is the first 3 minutes after the aids are powered on. As for as the connect clip I have to put it in pairing mode.

2 Likes

@1Bluejay: and it will search out two pairs of HAs connected to the SAME charger because the BT signal is twice as strong! Egads! :dizzy_face:

That is interesting! With my Phonak aids, they are paired + connected just once to the TV Connector (a pretty low-tech device), so that every time I watch TV, the Connector (which I have powered ON all the time) automatically starts streaming to my aids.

For other devices to pair and/or connect to my aids, it could be done all day long, as long as the aids are ON and the BT app also open.

2 Likes

My instructions show that mine are suppose to be placed back into the charger or turned off and back on to activate bt pairing, but obviously that isnt the case as both were able to pair without me doing anything. Instructions also show that aids and pairing device to be right next to each other, not across the room like in my situation. I was wearing my aids for an hour before this happened. I didnt have my app open or the aids bt activated on my phone at the time this happened. So it seems that if im not connected, others can. Resound support escalating since basic support had no idea how this was happening or how to stop it from happening. Huge fail.

1 Like

Yes once my aids are paired or the connect clip is paired with hey stay paired until they are forgotten.

Update… Just turned on my app and phone bt and my devices are still paired. My tv streamer is still paired. My Phone Clip is still paired. I placed the aids back into the charger and restarted my phone and now others in my house can no longer search and find my aids. So maybe my aids were stuck in open pairing mode somehow, still kinda spooky.

2 Likes

YES, that is what I always thought! In fact, I used to remove my aids, open the battery door (or in the case of rechargeables, turn them OFF then ON) and lay the aids right on top of the TV Connector or cell phone to actually get BT to first pair up.

I just had hubs do the test with me: He stood across the room, opened BT on his cell phone, saw something called “Shared Music Device” - and I immediately got a notification BEEP in my Phonak Lumity Life aids! - but then his phone showed that required a “confirmation” from me before pairing or connecting.

So that may be a bit of safety built-in right there. I’m glad, cuz I can just SEE how that would be used for spam-streaming at election time. GAW! Horrifying thought. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

EDIT - to add the make/model of aids I have on

3 Likes

Each time my family memebers paired to my aids, i only got a chime in my aids. Their phones showed, CRAIG’S HEARING AIDS, in available connections. So weird.
And yes, funny comment on election spam, i get enough spam now, dont need even more beemed directly into my brain.

Oh that is bizarre! When I got the alert BEEP in my ears, absolutely nothing showed up in my BT list, so there was no way my hubs could force the pair + connect.

1 Like

They definitely have to be in pairing mode to get the required handshake between device’s, that’s one part of what they call “security” obviously it needs to be “better” it’s the same with the App, it will only allow the “paired” HAs to work, if you wanted to use a different HA you have to go through the
“pairing” process again, twice for ReSound for “security” they say.

3 Likes

Phonak should be able to pair to new devices just for the first few minutes after they turn on. After that you only connect to already paired devices.

WH

This is from the Lumity user guide

1 Like

You are absolutely correct! That is why I either open/close the battery door (on my Marvels) or power OFF/ON the rechargeable aids. And as the Phonak guide mentions, the device (phone, TV Connector) also has to be enabled.

I find my tinfoil hat works well in diverting unwanted BT pairing requests. That and disconnecting the batteries at night.

2 Likes

Did your daughter, by any chance use music sharing? or quick sharing? My husband was able to do that from his phones to my HAs but he was not actually paired. My KS9s can only be paired to 2 devices at the same time and only connected to one at a time. Sharing gets around that limitation. My HAs are always paired to my phone and my computer and I need to turn off BT on my phone when I want to connect to the computer. With sharing, I didn’t have to do anything with blue tooth. Check your phones settings to see if that is what happened.

1 Like

Good suggestion but no, my phone isnt in sharing mode. Pretty sure my phone was just stuck in open pairing mode