Amplifon locked hearing aids?

When I bought my hearing aids I had to go to the clinic that went through amplifon, Im thinking of switching audiologists due to more convenience with appointment times and better flexibility. The place I would like to switch to called me back saying that I can’t get my hearing tested and hearing aid programming or anything due to my phonak marvel hearing aids being locked since I bought them at the other clinic. I’m curious because I was never informed of that, would that mean I can’t switch audiologists since it is the only clinic in my area that works with amplifon? The clinic I would like to switch to were my first choice as audiologist but once I had an appointment they told me that they stopped working with amplifon (the insurance company never updated the in-benefit locations) so I decided to go with the other clinic as I wouldn’t have to pay 3000$ for my aids.

Sorry to say, but this is how Amplifon operate everywhere. I buy new hearing aids often and in the past 12 years I bought about 10 pairs from Amplifon, but my last pair I bought elsewhere for the one reason that Amplifon would only sell me locked aids and I wanted to be able to continue to adjust the fitting myself. So they lost that sale and actually I probably saved myself £1K-£2K by buying elsewhere.

It’s not impossible that amplifon set a password when they programmed them, but as they are Phonak they shouldn’t be locked, a few brands offed by them were ReSound SmartFit in particular, it’s been discussed before a while back.

Don’t think this is what has happened but Target does have the option to password protect them.

Your link shows that Amplifon are locked as @david.hendon says as well.

Yeah they talk about the SmartFit being locked, I wasn’t sure if they did he same for Phonak, but still, it’s crazy these things are still happening!

SmartFit itself isn’t locked. But Amplifon sell special Amplifon-branded hearing aids made by Resound that are not recognised by SmartFit and the Amplifon version of SmartFit isn’t available to us DIYers, nor I suppose non-Amplifon hearing aid providers and audiologists.

Currently Amplifon are selling their branded version of Omnia, but not yet Nexia. From past experience, that will come in the next few months.

When I told the clinic I want to go to that I got them from live better hearing they told me they were locked which I was never informed of and was quite confused by that.

Yeah that’s totally unacceptable, ask them for the code so you can go elsewhere.

I mean it may be in my purchasing paperwork but I’d have to review it, it was interesting because since my service period is only the 27th, so therefore I don’t have any specific reason to switch audiologists not that I think I should have any reason to switch other then preference.
@tenkan

I have reviewed my paperwork and there is nothing that says I can only have care from the place I bought them from, the only thing that is similar is that it says I get 1 year free of care services and such from the location I bought my aids from but that is it.

Yeah so what you’ll find in some cases is if you were to move to another clinic for whatever reason, your new audiologist can request the code from Amplifon, hard to say if they would comply or not tho.

Pretty late in joining but I just got attracted to this topic.

Got some Amplifon Ampli-Energy B5 P R SLV HA’s. (Seems to be the same as Phonak Naida P90 R)

My Target software detected them as such and I programmed them for my hearing los. I am usually wearing the Phonak Virto P90, but I also have the Phonak M90’s.

No problems in programming and NOT locked…

Apps now on my phone from Phonak and from Amplifon. I must say I like the Amplifon app by far the most!
But on topic my Amply’s were not locked.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know, good to know this.

1 Like