Am I the Only One?

Maybe the dividing line here is that you know they’re hallucinations. So, you know, get it looked into, but don’t panic. I get ear worms too which sometimes annoy the hell out of me. Yours are obviously a lot clearer than mine. Maybe there’s a spectrum of these things?

2 Likes

I Don’t know if there’s a spectrum but if they exist it would make sense.

Would you mind then sharing what yours are if its nothing personal of course.

Just fragments of songs that repeat themselves. Nina Simone’s “Four Women” comes up frequently, which is unfortunate because it’s a sombre piece of music. Just the piano riff. Honestly, it’s just the idea of the music I’m getting, not the sound itself. I was just wondering if it’s the same mechanism and whatever our brains are doing yours is better at it.

2 Likes

I had surgery a little over a year and a half ago and was in the hospital for almost a week before I forced the Dr. To release me or I was going to leave on my own.

After I recovered from surgery and returned to my room I could hear the low monotonous dron of a Gregorian choir chanting. The next day in addition to the choir I started hearing a lawn mower running right outside my window. My room was on the 5th floor the window faced another building about 5 or 6 feet way.

I asked the surgical nurse if they had been playing Gregorian choir music during surgery she didn’t know what I was talking about. She said if they play music it was usually hard rock but the hospital is a teaching university and because my case was of special interest the surgery room had several students observing so no music.

I asked the surgeon if he knew what might be going on he didn’t and had not suggestions for me.

I discussed it with my private care primary DR. He smiled and said he had not heard of anything like it. I asked my VA primary care DR. He didn’t smile just waited till finished and then moved on.

I get my aid through the VA and visited them and got nowhere 2 Audi’s and 1 tech all just looked at me as if I was some old “vet” that they wish would move and said “thank you for your service”.

The choir chanting and the lawn mower noise was always there sometimes so loud or obvious that I had trouble hearing people talking. Sleeping was very difficult and seldom. I went through a very hard dark period.

If it had not been for my sweet granddaughter and her little hand in mine today might be different.

I didn’t mean to be gloom and dramatic but wanted to share that after a little over a year it went alway and left me with my old friend “tinnitus”.

3 Likes

Sounds a bit like delirium @Grandpaw. Glad you came out the other end.

Sounds like the tale I related earlier in the thread as to what happened to the actress Mary Steenburgen after surgery, except for her, the music didn’t stop.

hmm, I noticed the capitalization of certain words. That is not normal and you probably need to see a mental health doctor…

I just saw Dr. capitalized as DR. Sometimes when capitalizing I accidentally capitalize the second letter in a word too, but usually go back & correct that before sending the message. Since I only “hunt & peck” type I considered that normal.

Not that… i think he is intentionally putting caps on certain words, even several words…

1 Like

I think I had Tinnitus before I had surgery under a general anesthetic but it likely got a lot worse. I did not make the connection until reading about Mary.

can not believe i spent that much time telling (writing is not my best talent) a little bit of my story to share with someone that is struggling and the response is to speculate about my motives for punctuation and capitalization discussed maybe people should put more effort into listening and/or reading what people are saying than how they say it
this is a forum for discussing hearing issues and sharing experiences
not a place to write eloquent essays you have no idea what peoples thoughts are wherever they are in the world when they post are what their thinking so why waste time comment on things you have no clue about I hope since some of your are overly sensitive to capitals this post will be easer to read

5 Likes

Well said, @Grandpaw

I think the person who made that comment was referring to the OP in this thread, not you, @Grandpaw.

3 Likes

If that’s so then excuse me but I stand by the comment that we don’t know someones thoughts or process just read the text and don’t try to find hidden agendas focus on peoples comments and offer comments or help if able and have a good day.

3 Likes

I liked reading your lengthy post. Very informative.
As mentioned, I sure don’t see anyone trying to hurt you.
I am also a one finger typer making lots of mistakes. Most of these lengthy posts or small novels amaze me.

2 Likes

Except Mary Steenburgen’s experience was quite profitable. I don’t expect mine to get the same results and I doubt if anyone else here with similar experience does either but I shouldn’t speculate about anyone else either so I’ll just report my latest “voice”. Whatever caused the depressing laments recently they seem to have passed. But that doesn’t mean the voice is silent - I can’t remember when this started but its been steady since then.

Yesterday was indecipherable kind of morse code dah dah day - whatever.

The tune of the day is “Take me out to the ballgame” which is interesting because I’ve never been to any professional ballgame and have no interest in going. Maybe its to encourage me to give ballgames a try. Considering the weather I doubt there are any outdoor ballgames scheduled.

I’m glad the tone of message is much more upbeat. But its the same voice I have come to know so well.

I am hearing 1960’s country songs … but that is because I clicked on :grinning:

and have the blue-tooth connected to my HA’s :grinning:

1 Like

I don’t recall criticizing anyone’s punctuation or lack thereof. I can say I specifically have no sensitivity to CAPITAL LETTERS because for one thing I never get it straight in my head if its CAPITAL or CAPITOL.

Anyway Grandpaw’s experience with the aftermath of surgery is interesting and I’m glad he shared it. In fact I’d like to hear more about it.

But RIGHT NOW – I MUST EXERCISE SOME SELF CONTROL and FOCUS ON the time-sensitive matter on which hearing aid will be best for me. Should I forget about Resound Enzo Q 988 and try the newest Phonak Paradise whatever.

These “generation” of things and names of Naida Paradise and something else Paradise are confusing and hard to keep track of. Does anyone have knowledge or insight to share about the naming of hearing aids. I know my current ones are Audeo Marvel and I’m not even sure I spelled it correctly. But they are entry level or one step above and not working for me. I thought they were in the beginning because I could HAPPILY hear birds again - going from not hearing to hearing birds - I was easily impressed but there’s so much more to it that I didn’t comprehend being new to the entire issue of hearing and hearing aids.

I’ve got to get back to my VERY TIME-SENSITIVE (deadline ending January 31) search for knowledge (which hearing aid) and which audiologist to consult. The audiologist I was working left the practice for awhile or forever as she is EXPECTING A BABY. Happy for her but another complication for me to start over again.

Capitals and so forth is the least of my concern right now. My focus has to be on which hearing aids I’m going to TRY (capitals!) to get.

Glad you had positive surgical outcome!

Well that explains your hearing it but still in the dark about hearing voices, songs, whatever.

BTW I would choose something from the 90’s - maybe Phil Collins or Rod Stewarts’ DOWNTOWN TRAIN which I liked.

Each to his own, that’s what music is about. I grew up in a household where HANK WILLIAMS was king. Jim Reeves and Patsy Cline were good but both died unfortunately so no new releases from them.