Am I supposed to have standard BTE or Power BTE?

Hi everyone. Just wanted to say I am really thankful for this forum. The advice has meant a lot to me.

Okay so hopefully you could all help me out here…? I have a pair of Danalogic ReSound prescribed to me by the NHS. When I had my appointment to fit custom molds, she said that she will have to retune my hearing aids again because she can use more power and give me more clarity.

I have been looking at the type of BTE Danalogic provides and it looks like I have the standard BTE according to the model number that is on my hearing aids. Are these still OK for me with my type of hearing loss (my audiogram is under my name.) I am asking mainly because I really want to get a lot of benefit from wearing my hearing aids, I do not care about what the size is, I just want to make sure I have got the right ones. I am guessing maybe I have been given the standard ones because I wanted to have the tube ans domes, thus could not use the power ones with those, but maybe they can with custom molds and tube?

What are the “power” ones for, is it for those with profound losses? Also attached the leaflets for both Power and Standard BTE.

This is the one I have:

This is the Power BTE

I’m not a professional, but I think you’ll do fine with the standard BTE. I don’t think a Power BTE is going to get you more of the higher frequencies. The power ones are more for people with big losses that include the lower frequencies.

1 Like

Just my opinion.
RIC aids would work great for you tuned with a little frequency lowering and ear molds.

@craftycrocheter

Did you get the Resound Ambio Smart HAs from the NHS. They are LE Bluetooth.

Hi. No they gave me the standard Ambio 77.

Would be great but I cannot afford to get hearing aids, so stuck with NHS ones which I am not complaining about. I am thankful.

1 Like

Take a look at my audiogram, mine require power BTE or resound’s UP RIC.

I would ask why you’ve been given old stock as the Ambio Smart is the current HA.

My mum who has a moderate to profound loss has also been given standard power Danalogic hearing aids. Don’t understand why they don’t give her a pair of decent phonak like my sister as there at the same audiology clinic.

Money mainly. The Phonaks are more expensive but there’s a justifiable case for helping speech development in younger people.

Also you should be able to ask for the MFi/Phone compatible Redsounds; my minion in my practice also works for the NHS fitting Ambios and other new stuff: he said anyone who can demonstrate they are a smartphone user qualifies for the upgraded version.

2 Likes

@Um_bongo

Hi. Sorry I know this topic was done a few months ago now but just saying I have enquired about getting Ambio Smart with the audiology clinic and they said “we are currently not able to hand out Ambio Smart, but if you request any add ons then you can purchase them here” then linked me to the Resound PhoneClip and other range and stuff. So I cannot see ever having an upgrade any time soon. :upside_down_face:

@craftycrocheter

Don’t buy accessories from NHS, they massively inflate price.

Sorry they aren’t handing out the Smart.

Might be the policy of your Trust/LHB is a little different than here. Like everything in the NHS, they’re expected to do more and more with less money due to clowns like David Davies being in charge.

Just a side note, my friends daughter who lives in South Wales has only just been able upgrade her Phonak Nathos UP W (2008 model) to Phonak Sky V70 UP (2015 model).

Her Nathos were odd colour as they’ve been replaced over the years with the same model but not the same colour.

She’s now 14 years old.

My friend has now been issued hearing aids and they are also older Danalogic Aids as well.