Alternatives to high end hearing aids

Hello:

As can be seen from my audiogram ( sensorineural loss, word recognition 56% L; 68% R), I’m a good candidate for something like the Phonic Naida L90. Unfortunately, my pocket book doesn’t agree.

So, I’m thinking of something less expensive where I forego much help at higher frequencies and concentrate on improving my speech recognition; thus, I guess, enhancment in the 250-3500 HZ range. Bluetooth wanted for iPhone.

No nearby Costco unfortunately.

Thanks for any help! Lee

Too bad there is not a Costco nearby. I do not know what your pocket book allows, but you might check out ZipHearing. They have a large network of audiologists around the country and their premium hearing aids top out at around $4,700 for a pair of aids (much less than the $6,000 to $7,000) offered by some of the major HA sales factories. Models with less functions, but still excellent aids from the top manufacturers are less. I use a Phonak model which I purchased from Zip primarily because of the high frequency shifting function (Sound Recover 2) and the ability to connect to my android phone and laptops. Good Luck

1 Like

Your not a good candidate for over-the-counter hearing aids, but it’s worth a shot if you can’t find anything else.

You might send your audiogram to Jabra to see what they say.

If you haven’t written a few letters to the hearing manufactures. You might try that and explain your situation. They may have some returns that they are able to sell at a price you can afford.

You might also see if there is a hearing aid fitting program/school that’s in driving distance. They may be able to help too.

1 Like

Thanks Gents for the replies. The nearest Costco is about an hour drive. I tried to find out the average number of visits before the HA buying process is done, but no help. If it were just 2 or 3 visits, I suppose it might be doable. But with the gas costs and having to buy a membership, the cost advantage lessens considerably.

I’ve thought about trying the Jabra Select. Perhaps others will comment.

Thanks again!

Three visits - one for the test and ordering, one for fitting, and an optional follow-up. For the aids they sell, I think adjustments can be made remotely without a visit. The cost advantage is far more than the cost of a membership (and even if you can’t regularly shop at a warehouse, there are often good deals through costco.com.)

3 Likes

Our Costco is 1.25 hours away. Three trips was enough for my wife’s KS9 aids. From that point on we visit a couple times a year for hearing aid maintenance and buy groceries while there for the pantry.

I would think any of the three aids at Costco would fit your hearing loss. All great aids.

2 Likes

Thanks Guys. I’m going to seriously consider giving Costco a try. I know all their brands are good, but any comments on specific HAs appreciated.

As far as the Selects, I doubt they would do much better than my iPhone AirPods Pro 2, which actually do help my hearing quite a bit.

2 Likes

I was just about the suggest the Airpods Pro 2, which aren’t ideal, but are cheap. Do you use them with Live Listen? They can function as an amplifier that lets you crank the overall volume way up, which can be helpful for sit-down conversations.

1 Like

I’ve experimented with live listen on the AirPods, but guess would find it awkward to use when dealing with people. Where I find them most helpful is on the phone, especially talking to women.

As you probably know, you can use your audiogram to program them which is much better than the presets.

With updates like adaptive transparency to the AirPods, Apple seems to be about one step away from entering the HA market. I’d like that since I like the way Apple does things.

1 Like

Sometimes when you need something done, you have to do it yourself, so in this case I’d go DIY, so long as you can get delivery to your area then a pair off eBay ( used, refurbished) a programming device like the Noahlink wireless, install the software (available) on your PC and your good to go, plus there’s plenty of us on the forum to help you along.

2 Likes

If you are good with technology, Costco and a remote fittings may work out for you.

If your audiogram is less then 6 months old, you may be able to get your membership and order your hearing aids without leaving home.

Then you would only have to drive to your Costco once.

An hour drive–each way?–is entirely worth it, especially with remote fitting that’s available now. Or, if you’re handy, go DIY. Indeed Tenkan and others can help guide you through it. Too complicated for me!–like learning a different language. But DIY seems able to deliver wonderful, and even the BEST results, if you’re patient.

2 Likes

I second Tenkan’s suggestion. If you can afford new Selects, you can afford something better suited for the full range of your loss on ebay. Of if you go the Costco route, self-programming is still an option, so that should cut down on the number of trips.

I hadn’t considered DIY. Thanks for suggesting. I’m fairly tech savvy and would probably enjoy the challenge, plus I can do it at home!

Tenkan mentioned the Noahlink wireless. My computer is a Mac Mini 2.

I will do further homework on DIY and any specific suggestions for the programming hardware, software, HAs, and especially reputable HA eBay sellers you have dealt with appreciated.

Thanks

Ok just be sure it’s not ARM based chips, Noahlink wireless doesn’t work with them.
Otherwise for Mac OS you can use bootcamp or some other virtual machine software to run windows software.

Further to what @Raudrive has just mentioned.

3 Likes

The self fitting area of the forum is under the “muted” categories.

2 Likes

Yep, this is why I don’t do DIY. I have no idea what being said. However, many folks do. Go for it!

Or go to Costco and the remote fitting route.

1 Like

The Mini 2 is ARM based, but I have an old Windows 10 that would work I suppose.

The link didn’t seem to have anything except a warning about DIY :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh yes use your windows PC, make things easier, can you update to win10.
Yes as I wasn’t sure what you actually wanted? Which brand are you wanting, but no problem.

Cheers

Assume you mean update to Windows 11 and no, too old.