All Sounds Resonate. Voices sound like Donald Duck

All sounds seem to resonate in both ears with or without hearing aids. The best analogy is that voices sound like Donald Duck or the South Park animated cartoon. Several ENT doctors and audiologists cannot seem to agree or pinpoint what my problem is. Anyone with similar symptoms or possible answers?

I had something along those lines in my bad ear for a short period. It was really frustrating. Thankfully it went away. I never got a diagnosis though so no help - sorryā€¦m

Is this new for you? Do your ears feel clogged too? This has been a bass allergy season for me and Iā€™ve had a couple of times when this has happened.

I do not have the resonating, but everyone sounds like Donald Duck ā€“ I say a cartoon character ā€“ all the time, with and without hearing aids. Less, with the hearing aids in. I think this has to do with losing the high frequency range.

I have that quacking only with the aids. It makes my wife sound very unpleasant and hard to understandā€“not good for the relationship. That doesnā€™t encourage me to wear them, either. When the TV is on in another room, all I hear is the quacking, not the speech. It was worse with the Costco Philips HearLink aids. Itā€™s still there with the KS10 aids. Iā€™m in the DIY process to reduce the quacking. Iā€™m no fan of REM (Real Ear Measurement). Of course what you and I call ā€œquackingā€ may be totally different.
Please post your audiogram.

I havenā€™t had a ā€œquackingā€ sensation with speech, but Iā€™ve experienced speech that sounds somehow clipped. This event would typically occur when the barometric pressure changes. Itā€™s nowhereā€™s near as noticeable with my aids in, but before I got the aids (at age 30-odd), it was really unbearable, making it difficult to comprehend speech.

So my advice is twofold: 1.) see if there is a ā€œtriggerā€ event causing this sensation (weather change, flying at altitude, food allergy, medication being taken, etc.,) and 2.) get in to see your audiologist to see what frequency ranges can be adjusted to mitigate that affect.

While I have a fairly FLATLINED audiogram, I tend to want the lower frequencies of speech boosted with a bit of high frequency turned down so the ambient sounds arenā€™t ā€œshatteringā€ in their sharpness. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the response. The resonating is constant and no 'trigger" event. My audiogram has a decline at the higher frequencies level in both ears. I have tried the latest technology in several hearing aid models with not much improvement over my current 6 year old hearing aids. Audiologists have tried various settings with no success. Is there a name for my condition that I can do further research? I also have low level tinnitus (sort of low roaring sound) but it does not really bother me. However, it may have some effect on the resonating.

Get away from Donald Duck.

1 Like

Could it be distortion
you hear with are without the aids?

itā€™s allergy season. Your eustachian tubes may be blocked, and thereā€™s build up of fluid behind your ear drums. An ENT can tell if this is the case with an exam. As I recall you wrote that the distortion occurs with and without the aidsā€¦? this suggests somethingā€™[s off with your ears.

2 Likes

It is definitely distortion. Iā€™m trying to find a name for this condition in order to do more research.

My left ear sounds like a broken speaker.
I have been told I have nerve damage. Nothing can be done.

How was the nerve damage determined?

No one checked a thing. The ENT just told me I have nerve damage when I told him about the distortion.
I told him I still could hear the distortion with the aid.
It didnā€™t help me.
In retrospect I now realize Iā€™ve had the distortion for years. I used to use a Bluetooth mic on my left ear all day. Thought the distortion was the mic.
It just became more noticable with the hearing aid. Especially my own voice.
I just live with it.
Would love to say that it doesnā€™t bother me but that would be a lie.
Sometimes it makes me nuts.
Especially when the occulusion kicks in.

1 Like

I woke up with Donald Duck hearing a year or two ago. Donā€™t know what caused it, i suspect allergies, but the ENT put me on prednisone and it gradually cleared up.

Mine sounds like a broken speaker.

When I get fluid build up in my middle ear due to blocked eustachian tubes (again, in allergy season) Iā€™ll get that ā€˜broken speakerā€™ effect. This condition can take a good amount of time to resolveā€“month or more. But thatā€™s me. Iā€™ve read people on line who write the same thing, however. Chlo9rtrimoton help0s to open the eustachian tubes; or sudafed.

The distortion has been for years.
I take Claritin everyday.
Spray Flonase everyday.
Ears checked no fluid.
Sometimes left ear sounds like something ratiling around in it.
Might look for another ENT.
No one had really been interested.

That sure does sound like the ā€œbroken speakerā€ analogy. If you consider the diaphragm on some speakers, if itā€™s inflexible, cracked, etc., sound is very distorted.

I would DEAF-initely (pardon my pun!) find a new ENT. I mean, COME ON! There should be some kind of scan or test that would figure out that rattling sound. Rattling is not ringing, so Iā€™m guessing itā€™s not some form of tinnitus. But you deserve a clear answer from someone willing to go the extra mile and give you a proper diagnosis.

Be sure to keep us informed! Like I say, my own odd, distorted speech sounds are pretty much triggered by barometric pressure changes, and thereā€™s no rattling at all. Fingers crossed you get to the bottom of this.

The rattling is occasional.
It just happens out of the blue.
I donā€™t know if I really care anymore.
As they say it is what it is.
My cynical nature tells me ENTā€™s arenā€™t really interested if they canā€™t sell you hearing aids.
I have Audible aids because my insurance company at the time said they are who we will pay the most to.
My wife said go to Audible.
My aids are fine.
My perceived experience with ENTā€™s has been they want to sell you new hearing aids to help you. Thatā€™s not going to happen. So I think unless it gets regular Iā€™m just going to roll with the punches.