Aids WITHOUT devices for tv?

at the moment i use resound quattros with a tv streamer. very happy with it, however, i am wondering how people cope listening to tv with their normal hearing partner WITHOUT such a device?
in my case, in order (generally) to hear, say the news, i would have to pump up the tvs volume to an unacceptable level to gain enough clarity - ok, i know most flat panel tv speakers are crap in the first place!
would a decent sound bar alleviate the need for a streamer?
and one final question that i can’t find an answer to:
i have an analogue / digital to Bluetooth adaptor (cheap one with no display, etc,). how would i pair this with Bluetooth equipped hearing aids - thinking along the lines of phonak 70’s from specsavers?
thanks, and stay well.

1 Like

I have a Phonak tv streamer and listen directly to my hearing aids (Phonak P70-UP) with the TV speakers off. Suppose an person wants to watch TV with me, l can turn on the TV volume that’s suitable for that person with normal hearing. If l need to increase listening to TV more or listening to the person talking to me, l can adjust that with the myphonak app.

1 Like

thanks terost - that’s how it is with my resounds and streamer - great sound. however, i was also wondering if i don’t have a streamer, can i connect directly to a bluetooth transmitter?

how are you finding the phonaks?

You can absolutely connect your Phonaks to a Bluetooth transmitter that is fed by your TV, this works very well. The downsides are that there is a noticeable lag with the sound that people around you hear from that TV, when on (an extremely annoying echo). Second, your HA power consumption is (quite a bit) higher. Third, I find the streamer has a wider range.
For those reasons I bought a streamer in the end. That streamer connects in fact to a Bluetooth receiver that links to a transmitter that sits near my TV, but because that same Bluetooth receiver also feeds a small amplifier/speakers for my household there are no echos.
Finally, I found the volume controls on the streamer (and the app) clumsy, so I inserted a simple volume knob fixed on a small table nearby to where I usually sit (controlling the signal for the streamer).

2 Likes

thanks Rob, much appreciated.

sounds like more trouble than it’s worth. I’m very content with the resound streamer - my only reason for the phonak query was to use them with my laptop as well. my Quattros are fine, I like their clarity, though I’ve no real life comparison, and from my experience, that’s the only real comparison that counts. unfortunately they only work with my android phone and the steamer, not Bluetooth in general.

anyway, I’m going to see my audio next week so I’ll check out the phonaks while I’m at it.

again, thanks for the comprehensive answer

stay well

I have a Zvox Accuvoice speaker bar on my TV which lifts spoken dialogue out of the background noise. With this, I can hear the TV quite adequately without a streamer. However, with a streamer it is soooo much better. But it must be the manufacturers streamer, not regular Bluetooth.

I have Resound nexia 9 's and I have Two tv streamers … one for tv and the other for computer, and that works great for me. The Nexia 's have bluetooth 5.3 and auracast, But the asha bluetooth connected to the tv still has a delay that the tv streamer does not have.
I have both Phonak P90 and L90 and the Nexia are MUCH better, also much better battery life than the Phonsk’s
If you are ready to upgrade … go for the Nexia!

4 Likes

I just use my KS10’s and have my wife adjust the volume in the tv and I adjust my aids

3 Likes

ahh hcsekin - my wife and i achieved perfect marital bliss last night - we both had headaches on the same night :wink:

that’s why i like my streamer so much.

1 Like

No your Resound aids will not connect to any BT except a phone.
No i dont think a soundbar will help, even with dialog enhancement, that is, if you have severe or profound loss. You will still be blasting others unless watching alone. Thats been my experience and i tried many soundbars. But i do love my TV Streamer

1 Like

I use ReSound/Jabra HAs. Have no TV streamer. I do own a MultiMic, ReSound’s answer to the external mic (which you normally clip to a shirt or lay on a table).
I place the MultiMic near the TV audio and use the app to connect to my HAs. Works very well!! Alternately, I have discovered that the Outdoor program, solo, does a good job of picking up “more” sound, such as the TV is pumping into the room.
I don’t watch a lot of TV and the MultiMic works great for me.

1 Like

@GrayGhost[quote=“GrayGhost, post:7, topic:89852”]
I have both Phonak P90 and L90 and the Nexia are MUCH better, also much better battery life than the Phonsk’s
If you are ready to upgrade … go for the Nexia!
[/quote]

I also have the P90 and L90 but just ordered the Jaba Enhance Pro 20 from Costco. I am hopping that your experience that the Nexia is MUCH better works for me also. I picked up a Phonak neckloop on Ebay to work with the Jaba’s T-coil so I can (hopefully) continue to use my Roger devices. Had to get the disposable battery version in order to get T-coil.

3 Likes

I don’t use a streamer and have a Sonos soundbar with Sonos surround speakers. I have Oticon Intents which are definitely better for TV listening than my previous ReSound Linx 3Ds. I can hear “spoken word” programs like the news and TV documentaries perfectly at a level that is acceptable for my partner (who unfortunately for me has superb hearing). I still struggle a little bit with films and “action” TV shows, I probably get about 95% of what is being said. That’s not a problem for some films but where there are confusing character names (like in a sci-fi movie) I sometimes have to resort to the subtitles.

2 Likes

I stream TV thru a Roku box. With the Roku box I am able to use the Roku app on my iPhone and direct the audio from the Roku box to my iPhone and from my iPhone to my Jabra Pro 10 aids. The Roku app allows me to adjust any audio delay to ensure audio matches the actors lips. Sound is muted to the TV speaker so not helpful for multiple viewers, but works quite well for times when it’s just me. Roku box was approx $35 at Walmart and I can watch Hulu, Apple TV, Netflix, etc thru the box

3 Likes

Interesting. will have to look into it. thanks.

Yes - eBay transmitter, 10 GBP, happily feeds TV/radio/CD to my Phonak P70s, source selected by quick re-plugs.
For my aged hearing, a bit more treble would be appreciated when the programme material is muffled - as it frequently is these days because of body-worn microphones, web and smartphone audio feeds etc.
Unfortunately, orchestral music, though an improvement on ghastly soundbar hooting, is compromised by the obsolete A2DP codec inside the HA: pitch wanders like a tired old vinyl player!
Some TVs only let you collect audio via the headphone socket - which then cuts out the loudspeaker. We should remind the designers that a second socket, helping thousands of people, would cost literally pennies.
But don’t be put off. Removing loudspeakers and room acoustic from the equation is a great step forward in hearing.

1 Like

I have some patients that use the Clearcast Pal device. It includes a wireless microphone that can be placed next to the TV so the user will hear the television dialog directly into their ears and others can watch TV at a comfortable volume for them.

2 Likes

This sounds like how I use my Jabra/ReSound MultiMic–I place next to the tv audio and receive via HAs.

Yes, same wiith the Oticon ConnectClip.
Oticon also has a Lecture program, which uses beam forming to direct the mics to the forward position, which greatly enhances TV audio!

1 Like

The Resound MultiMic uses the position of the device to adjust beaming, depending if vertical or horizontal.
Just got a new Sony TV (Bravia 7) and it has a, (supposedly) AI dialog enhancement setting with adjustable voice control that works decent. I can mostly understand when tv is at a normal volume for others. Still prefer my TV streamer though.

4 Likes