11 BIG LIES of THE INDUSTRY

Lie 1: “Hearings Aids purchased in a foreign country where they cost less cannot be programmed in the United States”
(My audiologist said that when I found the same hearing aids she was trying to sell me in a foreign country for less than 1/10 the price.)

Lie 2: “Programming your own hearing aids will damage your ears”
(My audiologist told me this when she saw me writing down the name of the interface and studying cable and connections).

Lie 3: The Chinese bootleg Hi-Pro or Mini-Pro cannot be used to program hearing aids correctly. FACT: It’s exactly the same interface.
(Optometrics published a bulletin about them not working correctly. It’s a complete lie)

Lie 4: If it’s too good to be true, don’t buy it. FACT: If you know where to look, a new pair of Siemens / Signia HA can be found for under $1K.
(I’ve actually bought a new pair of Siemens Pure 7 PX for $550. - 100% functional and 100% genuine no US warranty. At this price you don’t need a warranty)

Lie 5: Hearing aids are delicate and require professional maintenance. FACT: If a HA isn’t working its most always wax stuck in the receiver. Learn how to change the wax guard.

Lie 6:
Another trick is the audiologist offers a free hearing test. After the hearing test the audiologist says that the audio-gram has changed. Without asking the audiologist makes a few programming changes and then asks you if it sounds better. Next you are lead to the receptionist where they attempt to bill you for programming the hearing aids. Remind them that you came in for the free hearing test and not to have your hearing aids programmed. The audiologist may say that we can’t put your old setting back in and that you owe them $150. Still politely insist that you came in for the free hearing test only and because it was free you didn’t bring your credit card and you don’t have enough cash. Still insist that you never agreed to have the hearing aids programmed. After a little back and forth the audiologist will say, “Ok, today’s visit is free”. You say “Thank you” and leave.

Lie 7: The top of the line model works better than the lesser grades. Fact: Signia Pure 3nx, 5nx and the 7nx all do the same thing. You will not notice any difference. Get the one that cost less.

Lie 8: You need the newest technology. Fact: The Siemens Micron, BX, PX and NX all sound about the same. The later models have a few more options that you probably wouldn’t use anyway.

Lie 9: Never buy 2nd hand hearing aids they probably won’t work right and you could get an ear infection. Fact: Hearing aids are very durable and 2nd hand pair typically sell for about 1/10 of retail. The outer shell can be carefully removed and sanitized in alcohol. The receivers are a replaceable part. Ebay is a great place to shop for a new receiver.

Lie 10: You need to buy a bunch of peripheral devices (EasyTek, PocketTek, MiniTek…ect) to get the most of your hearing aids. Fact: Most people quickly decide they prefer not to carry this stuff with them. The EasyTek, PocketTek, MiniTek…ect stays in a desk draw and is seldom if ever used.

Lie 11: Free maintenance and free batteries bundled together with Hearing aids is worth $7,000 OR MORE. Fact: Batteries are dirt cheap and easy to find on Amazon. FACT: HEARING LOSS IS A LIFETIME CONDITION. YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO KNOW HOW TO BUY HEARING AIDS INEXPENSIVELY, CALIBRATE AND MAINTAIN THEM. THE INDUSTRY WANTS YOU TO SPEND $1,000 OR MORE A YEAR ON YOUR HEARING LOSS. EVERYTHING YOU NEED CAN BE FOUND ON EBAY AND AMAZON. YOU NOW HAVE A NEW HOBBY.

36 Likes

Seems like a lot of half-truths based on your individual experience.

11 Likes

Sounds like you need to find a new audiologist. I not a big fan of generalizations. There’s good and bad everywhere. It’s one reason God created feet

13 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I looked at this post earlier and thought - why, just why… :wink:

So you can get up and walk out

:confused: …to get to the other side? (That’s my guess.)

Lie #1 is true. I had a audiologist tell me that years ago. I was not willing to pay 2500 dollars for one Naida B90 UP aid. I’m glad l continued using my old 2007 Starkey aids until l brought a pair of used Naida V90 SP aids last year.
This year l brought Naida Paradise P70 UP aids for 1,200 each. I doubt that l can tell the difference between a P70 and P90 due to my hearing loss.

2 Likes

I reread my post “11 BIG Lies…”. Yes, I confirm that my post is 100% accurate and represents a span of 10 years dealing multiple audiologist. The tricks of trade and the lies are common place in the HA industry. Still i have a favorite audiologist that I go to for hearing tests.

6 Likes

You have to ask why? Answer: So others will be aware.

5 Likes

No where on the my post did I make a generalization. However the 11 Lies are common experiences that I’ve had with multiple audiologist spanning 10 years.

4 Likes

The title is 11 big lies. That sounds like a generalization based on your experience. For instance they discourage used hearing aids. My audiologist has a pair of my naida marvels he currently trying to sell. When you use your limited experience and in the big picture it is very limited your generalizing. But I’m in favor of some kind of consumer review board because there are things hearing companies do that maybe should be looked into. Again I get your point and understand your frustration but I’m not about to condemn every single person involved in the field.

3 Likes

ugh… No generalization was made.

2 Likes

Good topic! I want to ask if this is true.

“If you fitting/programing your HAs too often, you may risking damaged the amp inside HAs AKA it gone bad.”

I don’t think its true but my audiologist told me this. Seems like they try to convict me to not visit their office for readjusting too often or something.

3 Likes

Good topic. Bad title. And that audiologist sounds like he doesn’t want to keep programing the aids. What was agreed to prior to purchase?

3 Likes

I had one of those audiologists. Lured me in with the promise of a free exam, fitting and trial. The trial ended up lasting a week when she tried to sell me a pair of Starkey CROS aids for $6,000 but wouldn’t make adjustments so I could hear better.

When I wouldn’t commit, she took the hearing aids back and said she couldn’t help me. Two weeks better I got a bill for the “free” exam. Needless to say I didn’t pay it.

I’ve moved on since then and found an Audi that gave me an open ended trial and only charged me about 60% of what she wanted. I now own a pair of Phonak Audeo Paradise P70R CROS aids and love them.

Oh, and I love my Audi too.

6 Likes

And that’s where the feet analogy comes into play. Or as snagglepus used to say" Heavens to mergatroid, exit stage left ". There I go showing my age again

3 Likes

Self programming is great, the only thing to be careful of is that you void your warranty if you go that route.

4 Likes

So you have worn hearing aids for 10 years and have been to “multiple” audiologists and now you are an “expert” on industry practices??? Were the multiple audiologist all in one area or around the country? There are always going to be some bad actors who will sometimes stretch the truth but to condemn the whole industry based on your limited exposure is not really fair or accurate. When I first read this post I thought some posts are really not even worth replying to, but the more I thought about it I decided this type of “expert” opinion hurts everyone. I have always believed that anytime you are throwing dirt, all you are really doing is losing ground.

3 Likes

Perhaps this thread should be called 11 of my big opinions :grin::rofl:

5 Likes

This is not true. I checked with my audi before DIY.

3 Likes