Your/my opinions on music programs - Phonak Lumity 90, Oticon Intents, Resound Nexia (plus Resound Linx 3D)

Thanks, I’ll see how I go with the Nexias. The speech in noise capability of the Intents was impressive.

Yes, I did give the General program a quick try. It sounded much less muddy, although of course it had all the environmental factors that degraded the listening experience. It looks like the MyMusic program is not worth bothering with for me based on the quick adjustments my audi made. He copied the low end freq gain settings of the Nexias to the MyMusic program which helped a bit but there was still a lot of mud in the sound.

So if I go with the Intents we will try working with the General program or basing a custom program on DSL v5. Fortunately my audi is incredibly helpful and also very knowledgable.

If you think of your hearing aid as a powerful parametric equalizer, there is considerable potential for enhancement. Let me show you my “guitar” and “music” programs, as well as what Genie 2 prescripes for me in the “MyMusic”. Moreover, IMO VAC+ (or even NAL-NL2) is not as good as DSL vs5 for music.

Guitar

Music

MyMusic

1 Like

A quick update here. I’ve been testing the Intents for the last week and although I’ve had problems with the music program, I think the Intents are a better all round aid for me than Phonak Lumity or ReSound Nexia. The good news is that I did some work with my audi on the MyMusic program and we have this in a much better place for my requirements. I hope to get the Genie 2 software soon (Noahlink is on order) so will be able to do some tweaking prior to going back to my audi for final fitting (and REM).

1 Like

It’s is personal and it depends on what type of music you listen to. I find the Lumity’s Autosense’s ability to detect music and adjust accordingly suits me better than having to grab my phone open the app and change to the dedicated music program (and then back again when the music is finished). I might be in my car and decide to listen to music through the speakers, I might be watching TV and decide to listen to a music broadcast through the speakers. In these situations it’s convenient not having to find my phone (and in the car first find a place to stop). Even at a concert where I may chat to someone before the music starts or even prefer not to have my phone with me, the convenience of Autosense changing the program for me as soon as the music starts is a convenience I wouldn’t want to give up.

The Oticon’s General program is quite good at this. I find it perfectly adequate for listening to the radio (yes, I am old school) or a boom box where it is more background type music. I also use it in the car where I need to reduce the road and car noise (which the dedicated music program doesn’t do).

However, for serious listening where audio quality has to be top notch (for example mixing music in my home studio) then switching to the dedicated music program is a must, because it eliminates the the automatic capabilities that get in the way of the unadulterated reproduction of music. And I’ve also optimized the settings for high quality music reproduction.

If you don’t need this level of reproduction then having a dedicated music program is probably a waste of time. I did quite like the Lumity Autosense capability when I trialled them.

1 Like

You can’t change program simply with the push of a hard button on the hearing aids themselves?

With my Jabra EP 20s I find myself listening to music in the All Around program alot and I quite enjoy it for background music and other streaming, when I still want the support of the All Around or Hear in Noise programs, especially with other people involved.

When I am by myself I try and remember the Music program which has been tuned to my liking very well.

I have Streaming Bass Boost increased so it helps for whatever program I am in.

1 Like

:sunglasses:It’s funny that people have to find the most difficult path to go from point A to point B!!

1 Like

I apologize if you have already told us what acoustics you have on your aids. Your hearing loss is borderline domes or ear molds.

Finding the right fitter is key to getting any aids right for music or speech. Then allowing the brain to acclimate.
DIY just might be the right answer.

I’ve got power domes. For me a combination of a really good audiologist and DIY has been the key to getting good music reproduction.

I was at a concert last night - 2 flutes and tabla. I was 15’-20’ from the performers. The Jabra EP10 music program has been tweaked as recommended. IMO, the Hear in Noise program was far better than All Around, Music, or Outdoors.

The HiN program was the only one that allowed me to hear light touches on the small drum. No program allowed me to hear the bass notes that come from the large drum, HiN was pretty good, though. I’ve been wearing aids for 14 years, but I still (tell myself I) have good memories of what live music sounds like, and the sound of the instruments, except for bass, matched my memory.

I’ve been to a couple of choral and percussion performances, and the sound seems to match my memories. I’d really like to get to some bluegrass and orchestral performances, though.

So the music program is useless to me, but live music is more than listenable. Recorded music still sounds very wrong.

I use EP10s with molds that have openings.