Young adults with hearing loss

Whether you’re navigating the bustling streets of NYC or anywhere else in the world, I’m reaching out to connect. Living with hearing loss at a young age comes with its unique set of challenges, but it also brings us together in a shared journey of resilience and strength. Let’s build a supportive community where we can share experiences, offer advice, and uplift each other. Whether it’s tips for thriving in noisy environments or simply sharing stories, our collective voice is powerful. Drop a comment or message me to connect! Let’s unite and inspire each other on this journey.

1 Like

hello! I’m 29, pushing 30! hope that helps since I’ve been this way since birth! :smiley:

Yes that helps! Are you currently living in NYC

LOL nope but I’m in the neighboring states actually (CT) so not far off from you!

I was thinking about moving to Stamford CT

good luck moving down there! (hope you’ll love everything right there in that state)

I hope you won’t discourage us OLD FOLKS from chiming in. Cuz I’m a case in point: born to deaf parents, I had a hearing loss that should’ve necessitated hearing aids as a child, but never got around to accepting and OWNING the disability until I was in my early 30s. At that time, I lived in the Bay Area, attending grad school for MBA. I wore Starkey ITEs with custom mold. I made sure I sat in the front of class close to instructor’s podium.

Bay Area - like all busy urban areas - has lots of traffic, restaurant, coffee shop, shopping mall and social gathering noise to make it a challenge. Aids have come a long way since my first pair in 1985, but my advice is to first accept and inform others about the hearing situation. Then, invest in the BEST technology you can afford to improve your chances. There may be certain professions not suited to folks who wear aids. Lifeguard comes to mind? But you have to see what you’re comfortable with.

ALL PEOPLE have difficulty hearing in noisy places, so pace yourself and don’t feel like you have to hear 100% of everything said. Ask for repeats, and if they become too frequent, look into fine-tuning your hearing device. Take advantage of any & all streaming accessories for phone, laptop and TV.

I think it’s such a positive and REFRESHING message to reach out to others going through the same life experiences. MORE POWER TO YOU!

Thank you so much I really appreciate it! I am just worried about losing more of my hearing due to the loud noises of NYC. I am not sure if a hearing aid could be used like an earplug for like a siren from a police car or ambulance. Also cars and trucks honking as well. I don’t mind the restaurants it just the loud noises outside in the city.

Well, all hearing loss is unique to the individual. In my family, we lost hearing over decades - from a pretty bad starting point! But your own genetics may be different.

You are smart to think about protecting the hearing you have now. Can you post an audiogram? Today’s hearing aids have Noise Management built-in, so if a fire engine, traffic roar, kitchen exhaust fan, even windy places or ambient crowd noise - all these will automatically trigger Noise Management to SLAM DOWN the volume. In my opinion TOO much. But that setting can be adjusted a bit, too.

Hey, I used to use an old pair of CIE custom molded aids as earplugs when on the shooting range - but they weren’t enough to block the thundering BOOM of a shotgun. So I got nice earmuffs with a volume control on the outside to let in just a squeak of sound. If you want earplugs to really block the noise, have an audiolist make a custom, silicone mold for your ears - NON ventilated. No holes means no air (or noise) getting in, and the sensation is like your ears are plugged up (sensation I’d get with inner ear infections as a kid).

1 Like

Thank you!! I really appreciate it!