Xceed 1 Up Play or Xceed 3 or Oticon Opn 1

I am wearing on trial Oticon Xceed 1 play and Oticon Xceed 3. My personal experience with Oticon Xceed 3 is really good since I feel more sharpness and contrast in listening speech sound which help me to recognize words.
With Oticon Xceed 1 play I have more sense of space and sound direction but speech is much softer so sometimes especially when someone has deep voice it sounds like mumbling.
Xceed 3 has made really good impression. According to technical specification Xceed 1 play should be much better but I do not feel it or I should feel it by the time and learnint to listen with this aid? ANd also difference in price is really big so I want to make sure I made good choice. Which from Oticon Xceed 1 play and Xceed 3 would you recommend?

And Comparing Oticon Xceed 1 play and Oticon Opn 1 13 Bte is better? I did not have opportunity to try Oticon Opn 1?
I am also submitting my audiogram.

2 Likes

Hopefully some of the Oticon members will post their thoughts on this. I do agree the Exceed 1 should be the best. The tuning of the aids is very important. Sometimes the extra bells and whistles the aids have the more difficult they are to program.

If I am reading your audiogram correctly your hearing loss shows no hearing from 4600 hertz up. Do you hear birds and kitchen appliance beepers? Oticons Speech Rescue could help if aggressively used. Phonak might be better with this frequency lowering if you use this technology.

Good luck

1 Like

I argee @Raudrive that the Xceed1 is the best, with your hearing loss the OPN aids will not have enough power.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it. I heard some birds only with hearing aid, yes I have problem with high tones so i have problem with hearing S Sh ch And clear understanding of some words. Anyway I comunicate well since I use other signs like reading from mouth etc. You think Phonak would be better than Xceed 1?

1 Like

Thank you! What do you think about bernafon leox7?

sorry I do not know anything about that hearing aid.

1 Like

The Oticon aids are really good aids. Phonak are also good.
The reason I brought up Phonak is they have a really good frequency lowering technology at this time. They can lower the upper frequencies down lower than Oticon can at this time. But, if you are hearing “s, sh, d, consonants with the Oticon aids you are doing fine. It does take time to get used to new aids.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your response!
Actually in Serbia I do not have a good dealer for Phonak but I will try to check. I Know that this Oticon is new and I hope it will be reliable in noisy and social surroundings and challenging hearing situation because of open sound navigator. But this is not perfect for example today I spoke on phone and I hear person who is away from me and can not concentrate on the phone speech but I am still testing. And also this exceed 3 which is more basic and poor model to me seemed excellent even better than 1 but probably the reason is this that with this model I do not hear other many other sounds in surrounding so you can concentrate on speech. But following specifications xceed 1 should be better so I am giving one more chance to this model and I am wearing trial xceed 1 right now so I think I will choose this and I hope I will get to use to this model better by time.

1 Like

the Xceed 1 would be good for you!

2 Likes

Your audiogram is similar to mine. Did you decide which hearing aid to go with - Oticon Xceed 1 or Xceed 3?

I preferred Xceed 2. Xceed 3 have not most of these nice features as Xceed 1 or 2

Can you describe some of these nice features that actually helped you hear better?

Also why go for Xceed 2 instead of Xceed 1? Does Xcerd 2 have most of the features that you need and there is no point in paying more for Xceed 1?

Open Sound Navigator, Open Sound Optimizer, Speech Guard LX. I preferred Xceed 2 because of half price of Xceed1 and because of high frequencies absent in my audiogram - those frequencies are most important for sound localization abilities. So full Open Sound Navigator in Xceed 1 probably won’t work for me.

What did you do about the excessive background noise? I am trailing Xceed 1 right now and on the way to the hotel the noise of car was a bit too much. Can it be adjusted?

Also how much did the Xceed 2 pair cost you?

No, Xceed and Opn(+S) have not noise reduction as old hearing aids. They provide all sounds “as is”, and reduce noise only when speech presents. I paid 1500$ for pair of 5-month old used Xceeds.

You might want another opinion about noise reduction.
@Volusiano and @Um_bongo understand Oticon aids very well.
Good luck

1 Like

Lostdeaf, if that’s the case, why don’t you set manual programming in mode 2 where speech is 80% and background noise is 20%? That way in noisy situations one can switch to mode 2.

Thanks Raudrive! @Volusiano and @Um_bongo, can you guys please give me better advice/suggestions. It would be much appreciated.

I don’t know much about the Xceed, but I assume that it’s basically the higher power version of the OPN S, and it has the OpenSound Navigator like the OPN S, is that right?

If so, @Lostdeaf is correct that most of the noise reduction in the OPN S is dedicated to more speech clarity, but it doesn’t reduce the noise level when there’s no speech. There is some SNR improvement when it tries to balance the soundscape, but it doesn’t block out the road noise altogether per se.

When I started wearing the OPN 1 and I’m on the road, if there’s no conversation going on or I’m listening to the music, then I don’t notice the road noise as much because I focus on the other sounds I want to hear more. From that perspective, it’s not so bad. But if I’m just driving alone and there’s no other sounds going on except the road noise, then the road noise becomes more prevalent. If it bothers me, I just turn down the volume a notch or two or three until it doesn’t bother me anymore

If the Xceed has the OpenSound Booster feature like the OPN S does, which blocks out more sounds on the sides and rear to let you focus on sounds from the front, then you can try it out to see if it helps cut down on road noise for you. You’ll still hear the road noise in front of you, though, there’s no escaping it. But at least the road noise in front may be 1/4 as loud only because you block out the other 3/4. But then that’s the same as reducing the overall volume to reduce the road noise down to 1/4…

2 Likes

No need to pick between the Xceed or Oticon Opn 1. Phonak will be coming out with the Paradise Up shortly and that’s where you want to place your hard earned money. Heck Oticon Opn 1 been out forever and Xceed year and a half. In a month or two Phonak will come out with a Ultra Power aid to blow the Xceed and Oticon away.