Would love pro comments on earmold problem

I can’t seem to get the molds i want. I currently wear power domes (double domes) that i push all the way in until they sit in the bony portion of the ear canal. They are super comfortable and i have no occlusion. Both ears seal but i have a little problem with left because I’m between sizes on that ear.

So if i could get molds that fit like this i would be fine with no vent and i think my hearing would be better.

Three different audiologist have avoided ordering the molds that i want. They never tell me why but we get to the third set and i get it that they are not going to order them like i asked for.

It sounds like the Phonak C Shells should work because they can put any length wire on there and they can use titanium if needed. But I’m open to anything that fits in the bony portion.

My canals are not small. I wear the medium power domes and they fit completely in the bony portion.

There seems to be something they don’t want to tell me.

My power domes fit like the Phonak poster, with the wire tight against my head, but all they want to order are molds that are about even with the tragus and the wire sticks out about 1/4 in or 5mm.

Help!

What have audiologists ordered for you already that hasn’t worked?
Is it the venting or that the moulds haven’t been deep enough?

A power dome still has an ‘effective’ venting, looking at your audio I would say you should have some venting (1-2mm) if you feel strongly against it you could have a 0.8mm pressure vent.

Phonak cshells are great, the faceplate has to finish no deeper than the canal entrance. Inside the shell there is an extended receiver tube carrying sound from the receiver to the tip of the shell. There is a maximum length this can be otherwise you will get distortion. Depending on your ear this could be a limiting factor on how deep the moulds can go.

I don’t know if it’s still currently an option but they used to have a cshell XL option where the receiver would exit the top of the shell as opposed to out of the faceplate - this avoided the wire looping out and being very visible.

It’s always worth a try, I generally see far better outcomes with custom tips!

1 Like

Hello Don,
I wear Resound Domes from CostCo. A year ago I tried the molds and they did not help me any better than the domes.

Perhaps your audiologists assume or think that molds wouldn’t help you any better than the Domes. I don’t know, it’s just a thought. Good luck to whatever you do.

Anita

Besides the cosmetics and venting, no mold is going to stay in my ear if the mold is at the canal opening. There is nothing to hold onto. My canals are pretty straight. There is a slight second bend and that can be used to anchor the mold.

Could you explain more on the c-shells and how they can be ordered? I’ve read the Phonak info where they talk about impression- length molds. Since the wire length is separate from the speaker, it implies the wire could be any length?

What if the mold was very similar to an IIC mold, in size and location, but had a speaker and wire?

I were full skeleton ear molds with my 105 db receivers. Haven’t had any issues with my ears molds slipping at all.

Is it a ric hearing aid? Where are the wires? How about venting? It is so nice not having a vent and no occlusion.

Yes i have a small vent

1 Like

Not a pro…

If your concerns are keeping the mold in place I had great luck with silicone canal locks with 1 mm vents. These molds were on Phonak Audeo M aids with P receivers and very aggressive frequency lowering.

I got these molds made at Lloyd’s Hearing Aids. They worked great for me.

1 Like

I may need to try Lloyds or Westone. I would like to have the mold fit deep like an iic or lyric, sealed and no vent. If thats not possible i will have to decide between power domes and surface level molds with a kickstand (canal lock).

With the cshells because of the wire attachment the faceplate has to sit at the canal entrance or further out. In this case we need to improve the retention - a lock depending on the prominent features of your pinna. Canal locks work well but not if you don’t have much of an antitragus, there are other options in that case - helix lock or half skeleton lock. Also have the shells made without lacquer and they grip the canal a little more.

You would get a deeper fit with a micro mould but not necessarily iic depth. It’s difficult to advise without seeing your ears. A cshell is the best option to give you the power you need in your HFs

With ordering cshells Phonak would want an impression to the 2nd bend and then the receiver wire power and length has to be specified as this is all fixed inside the shell.