Word recognition

A month in into wearing hearing aids and i can definitely understand more words but i still miss out a few. Just wondering how well can you guys understand?

1 Like

This is somewhat normal. HAs help, but often don’t solve the hearing issues completely. Hopefully your brain will be better able to fill in the blanks for conversation even when still missing a few words.

3 Likes

We all tend to miss at least a few words. Wouldn’t hurt to check with your audiologist or hearing aid fitter and see if a little more gain would help.

3 Likes

It is very normal, without aids i understand about 50% of the words I hear, with my aids i understand about 90% of the words I hear. This is thinks to a wonderful audiologist and my Oticon INTENT1 aids.

Hearing aids can help a lot with the volume of speech, but if you have sensorineural hearing loss like me the sounds that you hear will still be distorted. Our cochleas are like guitars with a few strings that are out of tune.

2 Likes

I agree,

I’ve just got SSHL in one ear and if I just listen through that ear (streaming or holding a phone up), even though I’ve lost high frequencies, everyone sounds like they are talking through helium or have been replaced by a minion. It is, to me, a very bizarre distortion.

For me it depends on how fast, how loud the person is speaking, and how congested my ears are that day.

I have more problems with women with high voices and children, with understanding children being the worst case at about 50 to 80 percent word recognition.

I’ve been fine tuning my Philips hearing aids over the last two weeks, so it will be interesting to hear if I’m making a difference.