Wondering if I’d benefit from hearing aids

I have moderate to severe high frequency hearing loss but have a 92% and 96% speech recognition. I do have trouble with dialog on some TV shows, but not all. My latest audiogram is in my profile. Last year my audiogram was all over the place and my ENT sent me for an MRI to rule out an acoustic neuroma, which was negative. He has told me maybe next year for the last two years, but did joke this year that hearing aids are cheaper than a divorce. I do not have insurance that will cover any of the cost so this has caused some of my hesitance.

2 Likes

Well, it looks like you would benefit but thats a strong word recognition.

One idea would be go to Costco. They have premium hearing aids, much cheaper, and a 180 day return period on hearing aids.

7 Likes

Have you try going to Costco for a 6 month trial. They have some good hearing aids and reasonably cheap versus the private practice. Be patient and takes your time in selecting the right hearing aids for type of hearing loss. Read more at this forum.
The other alternative is getting a 1 or 2 older generation hearing aids which is quite cheap on the eBay if you know which model you want. DIY is good if you are slightly technical in computer & electronic.
Be patient and takes your time.

4 Likes

If you’re wondering, then you probably are ready for them! And, yes, Costco is definitely the way to go! Price is right, and you have such a long time to test them out (see above).

1 Like

My audiogram is not far from yours. My word recognition is 100%. I am two weeks in to Costco Jabra EP 20. They have been a life changer and I am still getting used to them in some ways…but I also have almost forgotten to take them out before a shower. As mentioned, if you slightly suspect loss…you have more than you think. Others will typically note before you as with my friends and family. When I told a friend about my HAs a few days ago he said he noted my difficulty in hearing in conversations over a year ago but never mentioned anything…not uncommon I think. The act of removing the HAs while doing something, watching TV or at a party…is striking. It is like a thick blanket has been wrapped around my head and the entire world is muffled. It is a good exercise to do periodically to underscore the correctness of your decision to get HAs.

The Jabras and their app are very good. I was waiting for Philips 9050, but they have taken a long time and I was ready to get going. Haven’t looked back. I added the front focus adjustable cone with DIY and that has also been helpful. This forum and site is a great source of assistance…but it also has a lot of information, opinions, approaches to the subject. That can possibly lead to overthinking your course of action. The Costco approach, in my experience, presents you with clear details of your personal hearing situation, options on equipment selection and adjustment, and most importantly a generous 180 decision period, and the ability to adjust or reverse your treatment solution with little/no cost.

If Costco is available to you, it’s worth joining for $60 if not a member, get the free test…and try it out. If you can get the Costco Citibank VISA, there is a provision to spread the purchase out over three payment periods with no interest.

Good luck. It is an interesting and frankly rewarding journey. The app, as I say, is good…and with the HAs are actually an interesting gadget to use and learn about. These, any of the Costco choices, definitely are ‘not your parent’s HAs.’

4 Likes

What was the presentation level for word recognition? Usually clinicians are looking for max performance and it is presented significantly above threshold. Average conversation is about 45 dB HL.

Yes, you’d benefit from hearing aids.

1 Like

This is an excellent overview!! I, too, am a very happy Jabra EP20 user from Costco. . . . and I, too, joined Costco at $60 solely for the purpose of getting hearing aids. Now I occasionally take advantage of other bargains when in the store!

1 Like

The Costco annual cash rewards may come close to paying for the annual membership…but when looking at $4-7,000 HA alternative solutions, what’s $60?! Also, best place to get nice prime beef strips 'n filets, if that’s your thing!

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: Not a beef-eater, but I love the salmon burgers and have tried other interesting frozen foods! The hearing aid techs are all my good friends. I often stop by just for a chat, and customers can always pick up free materials (wax guards, brushes, etc) at the counter, plus leave your HAs off for a prof. cleaning while you shop!

2 Likes