Wireless or classic CI sound processors?

I’d like to ask implant users that which type of sound processors they do wear? Classic wired processors smilar to hearing aids or wireless ones?
Which type is more robust or practical for daily use? and for long term use?
Do you get two processsors when implant or just one depending on your choice?
Thanks

I have no idea what you are asking?
Maybe rewording your question would help.

nucleus-sp-lp
Differences between the two types of sound processors

1 Like

I have the “classic” sound processor because it pack the latest and greatest tech in them and i’m used to having BTE style, you can’t swap the battery either with the “wireless” one… Also, i wore BTE all my life so i’m used to having something on my ear…

1 Like

Ok, that explains your question. Thanks

I have both the N7 and the K2 processors, I am bilateral.

I tend to wear the K2 processors during the warm months and the N7 processors in cooler months.

The N7 has a lower profile on my head and winter hats and caps fit much better. The N7 processors are less tolerant to sweat and the microphones get blocked. The N7 processors are more secure on my head overall.

The K2 processors are nice because they are not on my ears and I like that. I can sweat profusely and the processor microphones do not get blocked. The K2 processors are less secure on my head, they are more likely to get grabbed by a tree limb or other obstacles that can pull them off my head.

Sound quality is identical between the K2 and N7 processors.

The K2 processors have a better Bluetooth connection in my opinion. It is more reliable. I use android phones. Another example is using the TV connector. I can get much further away from the TV and still hear it clearly with the K2 processors.

3 Likes

I have an Advanced Bionics brand CI and they offer just the one the ear wired processor at this point. After doing my research, I liked what the AB brand offers as far as iternal technology. An off the ear might be a nice convenience, but I’m find with what I have. THey do have an activity kit which allows me to wear it off ear in a waterproof case that can clip to clothes and the longer wire still attaches the magnet to my head.

1 Like

Thank you all for information

depends on your lifestyle and company.
lifestyle - I like wearing headphones and caps. I think it’s easy to imagine what wearing headphones is like with a wireless sound processor lol :smiley:
Brand - MED-EL/Rondo requires purchasing AudioLink to stream music or other sounds from your phone. This is a high cost, and Audiolink requires connecting a cable to the phone = you need to buy a USBC/lighting to jack adapter.
If you choose cochlear company then go with Kanso - no accessories needed. All fun :wink:

1 Like

and one more thing - the battery. Some wireless sound processors have rechargeable batteries instead of regular batteries. So you can’t take them out and change them with new ones. You have to charge them. This may influence your decision if you travel a lot. Do some research in this direction

My friend has now got the AB Naida M and Naida Link HA. She wears her CI in her hair.

She plays tennis and goes to Deaf Olympics so does a lot of sport and it stays more in place when in her hair.

Her old AB CI which was pre Bluetooth apparently stayed behind her ear better.

Thank you very much for the information. I didnt know that Med-El requires extra accessories which I wouldnt be able to buy due to tight budget reasons.

Something to add to this comment is rechargeable battery life. @Dani went with MedEl and wanted the off the ear Rondo 2. This processor did not last all day for him. He had to go with the on the ear processors. My Cochlear K2 processors have almost two days worth of charge so running out of power during one day has not ever happened.

The Cochlear Nucleus 7 and 8 have both rechargeable and disposable batteries. Something nice about the rechargeable battery is it is taken off the processor to charge so having a spare batyery is very handy to swap out easily.

1 Like

It’s not everything. I have MED-El myself and I am jealous of Cochlear users.
My friends (cochlear users) and I compared these companies - I can’t mute the microphone when listening via BT, so the street noise bothers me a lot, and I can’t turn up the volume in Audiostream (for streaming, included with Sonnet).
We also compared MFI (Made for iPhone) - MEDEL has a lot of things blocked, you can’t do anything there. Cochlear can do everything, change the volume, turn the microphone on/off, change the program. Their app even has its own EQ. They can also have remote sound processor settings with an engineer. Meanwhile, the MEDEL app ONLY allows you to change the program, change the volume and specify the location. That’s all.
MEDEL loses in comparisons with the competition and requires the purchase of accessories. Thats so bad…

3 Likes

343442883_774420940700645_250539458670538763_n

2 Likes

Do you think they’ll (Med El) catch up?

I have no idea honestly. I’m waiting for the new generation of Sonnet. We’ll see if the accessories are still needed or if they will improve the application and MFI :frowning:
Some time ago I wrote to MEDEL with my complaints and they thanked me. I hope they take this into account

that because med el is using a boot to power MFI stuff and it is not fully integrated into the sound processor…

Can you elaborate as to how she wears her on-the-ear processor in her hair, using a clip, headband, hat…? Thanks.

She’s use’s this with her new AB CI Naida M90.

Not 100% if it’s made for it but she’s got it working.

Thanks. Apparently, AB processor wearers with long and thick hair may use this clip to attach the processor to their hair.

1 Like