Wire length/where hearing should sit

Newer to HAs and I’m trying to figure out receiver wire length and how it relates to fit and performance. The picture shows the default length wires of the oticon real I’m demoing. I don’t love how they sit somewhat on top of my ear and this creates more interference/noise from hats and sunglasses, which I wear all the time as an active outdoors person. On the Starkeys I also am demoing, I have much longer wires, which put the devices pretty much behind my ears so you can’t really see them from the front.

My question is if I need the devices to be more visible from the front (like the picture of me below) for best performance or is it fine to have them tucked further behind my ears.

I also think I’m realizing I need to get my hair cut shorter around my ears to minimize the noise from my hair on the mics…

4 Likes

Do a Google image search for ‘ric hearing aid’ which will give some guidance…

Almost zero views from this angle when I search…

Yeah looking at that picture shows it’s possibly a pinch tight, so the receiver wires come in various lengths, so what length are you using at the moment? it’s written on the receiver, a number 0 to 4, so it’s easy enough to ask your audiologist to fit the next size for you to try.

5 Likes

I agree with tenkan.
I’d be asking for a trial with a different (longer) size wire.
It’s normally a simple task for them to change it and only after you test it will you know which you prefer.
Mine are definitely longer so that they don’t pinch.
When you evaluate also think about the different climates as comfort will be affected by heat and sweat etc (depending where you live of course)

1 Like

i started with 2’s but HA sat to high … I’m now wearing 4’s… I prefer the HA sitting down toward middle back of ear

1 Like

Is there a recommended position from any of the manufacturers? I would have thought that positioning would be quite crucial particularly for the front facing microphones to perform most effectively…

4 Likes

This post is really helpful! I’m very happy to see the answers here. Mine are 2’s…I never questioned what they should be, or how low the hearing aid should be.

Thank you!
DaveL
Toronto

As mentioned the aids need to be on top of the ear so the hearing aid mics can hear forward where you are facing.

The picture has the aids too far back. That position would be great for hearing behind you.

5 Likes

Also consider the depth of your ear canals. For me, a #1 wire positions the HA’s on top of my ears correctly but I need a #2 wire to position the receiver deep enough in my ear canal.

2 Likes

Also they may be a different length if you are using custom molds as opposed to domes. For me the custom molds position the receiver wire exiting the ear lower that domes.

I’m confused because others are saying I should try longer and you seem to be seeing to use shorter wires? Any shorter and the wires would pull the receivers out of my ear canals…

You mention the “correct position” as being on top of the ear. Would that be the position I currently have them? I’m getting mixed responses in this thread and trying to figure out what the manufacturer recommended position is… Obviously, if they aren’t comfortable, I’m not going to wear them, so that’sa factor too.

FYI, these are the size 2 and I think they go up to size 5.

Pretty sure there are 5, but numbered 0 to 4.

As for the confusion this is what happens when some have success wearing their HAs a certain way, but you’ll know what’s most comfortable for you, so going any “higher” with a shorter receiver would be just ridiculous (of course you don’t want the HAs hanging to far down behind that they’re kissing your ear lobe or anything!) there’s no way you would notice any difference between a size 2 and size 3 receiver in sound quality, the microphones still work, forward ,back, all-around etc ; )

3 Likes

Here is an example of how wire length for RIC aids is figured. This also includes BTE aids tubes.

https://www.starkeyhearingtechnologies.com/inspirehelp/aah/Fitting/How_to_Measure_for_a_RIC_Receiver.htm

2 Likes

I wish that RIC were easier to fit without having to buy expensive new wires. Mine is a little long. Can you buy them from Amazon?

When I was self fitting I found the wire size chart online. It was a printable file that I printed and cut out with scissors to use for sizing receivers and tubes for hearing aids.
It saved me time and money getting the right size on first try.

Amazon and eBay are where I bought most maintenance items for hearing aids

1 Like

How can you cut a wire? My old ones had tubes but these are wires that hold a receiver.

You can not cut the receiver wires.
Buying the correct length/size and power is the correct way to do this.

2 Likes