Wire is irritating - any hope?

I got Phonak Brios from Costco a week ago, and the end of the wire in my ear is really irritating, so much so that I wonder if I will be able to stand these in the long run. Is this a problem for anyone else?

Assuming it has the soft, flexible domes at the end, you can try another size dome. They should be comfortable and after a little time to get used to the fact something is in your ear, you shouldn’t really be able to feel them.

It’s not the dome that’s irritating, it’s the tail of wire or tube that extends from the dome and gets curled inside my ear. I am not sure all hearing aids have these. The end pokes, and I feel it especially in the left ear.

— Updated —

It’s not the dome that’s irritating, it’s the tail of wire or tube that extends from the dome and gets curled inside my ear. I am not sure all hearing aids have these. The end pokes, and I feel it especially in the left ear.

That’s called the retention cord. It helps keep the dome from slipping out of your ear canal. You can clip it off if you don’t need it.

Thanks! I asked the lady at Costco when she was going to clip it off and she just laughed.

Thanks! I asked the lady at Costco when she was going to clip it off and she just laughed.

Agree…my original audi did not present this as a need, so I never related to it. A later visit to a different audi within Costco suggested I could have one…but I said I didn’t see a need. It does seem fully optional…and though I’m certain this wire helps some in some circumstances…esepecially since it’s a problem, in and of itself…I would at least experiment with losing it entirely.

I have it and it is about the only way I could keep my receiver in my ear. And I tried all of the different domes. I find for me the power dome to be the best for me.

— Updated —

I have it and it is about the only way I could keep my receiver in my ear. And I tried all of the different domes. I find for me the power dome to be the best for me.

They are called sport locks, to help retain the domes in your ears. I have them on my aids and I don’t know there even there, they should have a bend upward toward the back of your ear when in place. Is the end poking your ear???If so make a circular bend upward and try that

1 Like

I have the same Phonac RIC aids and I had problem with the retention wire in one of my ears, kept popping out. When I complained to my Audi she explained that some earcanals twist a bit diffrenetly than others and them she proceeded to take the retention cord off the one aid with the problem. I later took it off myself at the other side, not because it borthered me, but I disliked a asymmetry and thought if I did not need it on one site why have it on the other. You can slip it off of the receiver after taking the dome off.

I should add, I have never had a problem with retaining any of my aids without the retention wire. Don’t fear tke it off!

Interesting. Iceman, I have tried coiling it in my ear all different ways and it still seems to poke me. Maybe I am extra sensitive. I thought the tube that fits over the ear was going to bother me too - it does sometimes feel a bit scratchy. I will hate it if I turn out to have an unusual sensitivity to the material.

I always say if you can’t fix your problem return it before the end of the trial.

However, regarding your concern, I would ask if you could change the style to an in-ear custom product if the behind the ear with a wire is frustrating you that much.

If you need an open fit hearing aid perhaps they can put a really large vent into an ITC (in the canal) hearing aid for you.

good luck!

1 Like

You can try trimming the retention wire before taking it off completely. Some people find they’re a bit too long and cutting off some length may help. If it doesn’t, just take it off.

I’d certainly try bending the end of the thing in a tighter bend, so the tip no longer touches your ear at all. Plastic often can be bent a little, so I’d give that a try and see how it goes.

Also, as I understand, when one takes the ends out of their ears, they should pull them out by that plastic wire, rather than yanking on the tube ( I’ve yet to train myself to do that, I must admit ) so they may serve that kind of function as well.

They tickle my ear and don’t seem to help me. You can probably push it out and try it without it. If they are like mine were, the sport lock can be pushed out without cutting it. Grab the skinny end and push toward the fatter end. I know you will have to actually grab it at the fatter end.

If you don’t use the retention line… like others are saying… simple solution… CUT IT OFF yourself.

The retention line is just a matter of what you prefer. For me I use them and find them very comfortable. but I have used them for over 4 years now and do not even know they are there.

Another possibility is that they were put on “backward” - that happened to me. Otherwise, your body heat should conform them to the bowl in your ear.

The only time I was bothered by the sports lock was when my aids came back from repair, and the thing was installed backwards. The tail was wrapping and pointing in the wrong direction. Pulling it out, rotating 180 degrees, and stuffing it back in fixed that problem.

I got used to mine after a few days, every now and then they tickle or poke. As far as cutting them though, they slide out so no need to cut! :slight_smile:

PS.
Does anyone know of a place online I can order new sports locks for the KS 5.0? Mine break and the closest Costco is 2 1/2 hours away. Thanks!